PDA

View Full Version : Banshee on trails??

250Xtreame
12-02-2002, 06:30 PM
Hey guys i have only ridden a shee on a track and around yards and open fields. how are they on trails?? I am considering buyin one but ride mainly trails? Can you help? lol
thanks
ryan

Guy400
12-02-2002, 06:45 PM
Ehh, you can do it if you like clutching constantly but it's not real trail friendly. Shee's have no bottom end so you're forced to feather the clutch and slip it to keep the RPM's up. A real PITA if you ride mostly trails.

Godspeed
12-03-2002, 06:23 AM
Guy is right but alot depends on what type of trails you are refering to. My Speed requires a lot of clutch feather because of the power to the rear tires. Not always a better scenario than having to keep the R's up IMO. If you want a the perfect trail quad, get a 400EX, with a Z not far behind.

Braff1
12-03-2002, 07:10 AM
I don't have a banshee but one of my buddies I ride with does and this is what I have noticed. 1) on tight trails where you are climbing hills or have short runs tend to lead to overheating. 2) no bottom end and serious wheel spin ( can be a pain in the butt on muddy trails).

I agree with Godspeed in using a 4 stroke for trail riding but this is my opion only.

Ryan
12-03-2002, 02:08 PM
I agree with all of you. Banshee's do seem to overheat, the handling and suspenion is bad, they spin very much, most of all they have no low end power. A banshee would not be the pick of the litter for trail riding. Like godspeed said, a 400ex or a z-400 would be great for trail riding.
On a muddy day a 2-stroke is not the way to go, especially a banshee. You will be constantly spinning. And even the MX track a banshee is not a popular choice. Go with the honda, suzuki, kawaski.

12-03-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Ryan88
I agree with all of you. Banshee's do seem to overheat, the handling and suspenion is bad, they spin very much, most of all they have no low end power. A banshee would not be the pick of the litter for trail riding. Like godspeed said, a 400ex or a z-400 would be great for trail riding.
On a muddy day a 2-stroke is not the way to go, especially a banshee. You will be constantly spinning. And even the MX track a banshee is not a popular choice. Go with the honda, suzuki, kawaski.

sorry, until u have a banshee, dont say the handling and suspension is bad. I dont ride my banshee on trails becuase its too hard. Wheelspin is a problem if you dont know how to ride!

mx517
12-03-2002, 07:51 PM
if u can use a clutch a lot and know how to keep it in the power band than u will be fine on trails in higher gears. If there slow riding trails like 1st and 2nd gear trails than clutching may get a bit tire some and you may want a thumper...ex, z, kfx,

Moded86R
12-03-2002, 08:31 PM
I have only rode 2 shee's.One was a bone stock 02.I wasn't very impressed.I barely knew the guy and I didn't want to wreck someone else's bike so I took it easy.Well it didn't have the crazy ness of my R.Or the handling.My R has aftermarket A-arms.shocks, and axle though.I wasn't very impressed on our mx track.Whenever I got out into the open it was a different story.The thing was a blast.Kinda like the R's power just not as much.I wouldn't mind having one for fireroads/open spots.

The other was a 370 long rod on alky by FTZ.It sat almost on the ground with no shocks.Runs the 300ft in 4.8seconds.The thing was insane and see no point in it.Unless all you want to do is go straight on flat smooth ground very quickly.The guy just got the transmission from being cut.And he is going alot bigger on the motor and transplanting it into a tri-z 250 frame.The guy is crazy if you ask me.

250Xtreame
12-04-2002, 05:33 PM
well the main reason im considering a shee is because i dont have the money for a big bore 4 stroke, and everybody and his brother has a 400 sooo??? Im kinda stuck on what to do??

thanks for the help though guys

flyin#5
12-04-2002, 07:16 PM
if your riding really tight trails like i did when my friend brought his shee over then they are a pain. for me the handling didnt seem so bad but the day after my arms were sore. i had to feather the clutch a ton and then coasted a ways. if you ride fire roads and stuff like that it would be good but if your in tight stuff stick to a 4stroke.

AtvMxRider
12-04-2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by 250Xtreame
well the main reason im considering a shee is because i dont have the money for a big bore 4 stroke, and everybody and his brother has a 400 sooo??? Im kinda stuck on what to do??

thanks for the help though guys

You don't need a big bore to go fast in the woods. My 400 does great in tight trails.

buckNbanshee
12-05-2002, 01:30 PM
well banshees are ok for tight trails but i will have to say fourstrokes are easier in the woods on tight trails but once u get used to it its nothin.I have heard problems of banshees over heating but it hasnt ever happened to mine.the handling is ok,throttle is stiff but a real fun ride,once you go shee you will never go back;)

12-05-2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by buckNbanshee
.,once you go shee you will never go back;)

thats very true :D

Guy400
12-05-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by buckNbanshee
once you go shee you will never go back;) I'm of the opposite opinion, once I went Shee I'll never want to go back. If I was building a drag bike or a duner than there's nothing I'd rather have. But for trail riding the Shee would be about my last choice. My best friend had a 2001 Shee with T-5's, Uni and 12 Uni-vents. The engine has NO low-end and made our slow speed stuff a real pain. The chassis is starting to feel very dated after riding a 400EX and the stock Banshee shocks are horrible for trails. They're very stiff and rattle your teeth out at slower speeds. The faster you go the softer the suspension begins to feel but the short a-arms and wide front frame begin to transmit the suspension action through the rest of the quad.

12-05-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Guy432
I'm of the opposite opinion, once I went Shee I'll never want to go back. If I was building a drag bike or a duner than there's nothing I'd rather have. But for trail riding the Shee would be about my last choice. My best friend had a 2001 Shee with T-5's, Uni and 12 Uni-vents. The engine has NO low-end and made our slow speed stuff a real pain. The chassis is starting to feel very dated after riding a 400EX and the stock Banshee shocks are horrible for trails. They're very stiff and rattle your teeth out at slower speeds. The faster you go the softer the suspension begins to feel but the short a-arms and wide front frame begin to transmit the suspension action through the rest of the quad.
Good point Guy, that is how the shee basically works, the usspension aint to good going slow, but at good rates of speed its soooooo smooth

flyin#5
12-05-2002, 03:22 PM
its a simple explanation really

banshees= all go, no slow

buckNbanshee
12-05-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Guy432
I'm of the opposite opinion, once I went Shee I'll never want to go back. If I was building a drag bike or a duner than there's nothing I'd rather have. But for trail riding the Shee would be about my last choice. My best friend had a 2001 Shee with T-5's, Uni and 12 Uni-vents. The engine has NO low-end and made our slow speed stuff a real pain. The chassis is starting to feel very dated after riding a 400EX and the stock Banshee shocks are horrible for trails. They're very stiff and rattle your teeth out at slower speeds. The faster you go the softer the suspension begins to feel but the short a-arms and wide front frame begin to transmit the suspension action through the rest of the quad.

well i dont know how the shocks feel going slow cause i am alwayz full trottle:devil

bansheeguy77
12-05-2002, 06:46 PM
i wont even get into this fight....bottom line is if you know how to ride the shee will do anyhting u want and you will have the most fun doing it.