PDA

View Full Version : 05 sportsman 500... need help please

skinful
06-30-2008, 01:58 PM
OK...my quad ran great, started getting towards winter wanted to buy a plow for it went into my local shop/parts place to inquire saw some heated grips and baught them. Never got the plow as about a week after installing the grips my instrument cluster was flashing saying HOT. Checked thermostat blah blah blah found that my cdi was bad. Put the quad away for winter. Just got a new cdi threw away the heated grips everything worked fine again...except now there is a wrench icon flashing:confused: and the battery wont stay charged. I was able to pull start it and get it going at first but now it will start if I give it full throttle but as soon as I let off it dies and even if I let off for a millisecond then give it to her again...dead.
If anyone can help me PLEASE, any advice as to what the problem or with my luck PROBLEMS are it would be great. I would just take it to a shop but I just had a baby girl and money is tight...thanx

sparksmakefire
06-30-2008, 02:05 PM
atv/motorcycle batterys dont last very long. not like a car. cars get drove everyday and charge up using the altenator. motorcycles and atv's use a stator to charge the batterys and produce an electric current. with it sitting over winter i would say your battery is shot and needs replaced. the stator is probably fine. my 94 sportsman done the exact same thing only without the fancy lights. throw a new battery in there and it should be good to go. if your not going to ride it very much i highly recommend getting a battery tender. it charges the battery up to 14 volts then shuts off untill it drops below 12 volts then will charge back up. keeps your batterys alive longer. good luck.

tireman43
06-30-2008, 03:24 PM
sparks said it. Sounds like a battery issue. I have replaced mine 3 times in 2 years. I have since bought the battery tender and 0 problems since.

Kevin

skinful
06-30-2008, 04:12 PM
thanks...I'll try that. Any Ideas why the wrench icon would com on for the first 5-10 minutes then go off til restarted?

sparksmakefire
07-01-2008, 09:22 AM
the wrench is like a check engine light. with the battery being toast and it using the stator to power the electrical stuff my guess is thats what is causing the wrench light.

skinful
07-02-2008, 11:13 PM
sparksmakefire....you were right it was the battery being so bad, got a new battery and it went away....thanx

sparksmakefire
07-09-2008, 12:45 AM
no problem man. glad i could help.