PDA

View Full Version : could a stuck caliper cause it to spin out easier one way?

maddmatt02
06-30-2008, 02:05 AM
alright, my front right caliper isnt froze, but it doesnt let up all the way, its hard to push the bike, and when I jump the wheel stops in the air, but when I hit the brakes, this wheel doesnt just lock up, it is progressive like it should be. but my left front works just fine.

anyways while riding at high speeds, if I kick the back end out with some throttle and body movement, the problem arrises. kick it out to the right and it is easily brought back in and I dont even need to let off the throttle, but kick the back end out to the left, and if I get too far out there is no catching it unless I completely let off the throttle. other day I was riding and did it to the left, even tried to just let off a bit and feather it, and I still ended up spinning out in a huge cloud of dust... Im getting used to it now but I want it to be like going out to the right.

other things to consider is my right rear wheel is bent, but it seems like when your back end is kicked out, the outside wheel is the one that matters to catch you, which would put the advantage to kicking the end out to the left, but it works backwards in real life.

I think I am gonna swap front shocks left to right and see if the problem switches sides.

also are 400ex calipers rebuildable before I just go and try it.

thanks

Scro
06-30-2008, 07:03 AM
The caliper is probably your problem. Even if it isn't, you still need to fix it.

hatfield44
07-01-2008, 01:23 PM
the caliper is probably your problem. The machine tries to pivot around the wheel that is getting the drag. It is the same concept as why dirt track cars run 3 wheel brakes instead of 4.

Quad Dude
07-07-2008, 08:13 PM
also could be a bent rotor.

maddmatt02
07-07-2008, 09:40 PM
the rotor would have to be cupped evenly all the way around if it was bent, because the caliper doesnt move as the wheel rotates like they do on a bent rotor, also, the sticking of the brakes is constant all the way through its rotation.

400exrider707
07-07-2008, 10:10 PM
I would start with checking air pressures in your front tires.

mxquadracer115
07-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Maybe you have a wheel bearing that is going out on the side that sticks, Just a thought

maddmatt02
07-12-2008, 07:56 AM
nope, as I was building it they both spun free until I got the brake pads in the calipers and bled the system.