PDA

View Full Version : clutch slippage

bets400ex
06-30-2008, 12:39 AM
the quad shifts fine but once i get into the upper rpms it slips sometimes. feels like its not grabbin like it should. has a new clutch though. did run into a tree recently though, maybe somethin out of alignment?

John451
06-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Was it working fine until you hit the tree or was it always slipping? Did you tighten the springs enough? You turn them all the way in then torque them to 9 ft/lbs. Do you have it so that the clutch catches way out on the lever?

bets400ex
07-01-2008, 02:39 PM
how do you get to the springs and how many are there? Thanks, and yes it didnt slip before i hit the tree. Just the clutch lever hit the tree and my hand of course, felt good.

monkeyballs
07-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Ok look man if your clutch is still sliping and its nto becaus the clutch is finished. And its becaus u have ****loads of mods and hp.. get a clutch lock out. It will stop ur clutch from slipping. And btw thats for quads with tones of hp.

John451
07-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Sounds like you just need to screw the adjuster on the lever in more because it got bent and it's pulling it in the slightest bit while you're riding it. I'd say work it a full turn to the right (in) and a half turn in for each try after that (if, for some reason the full turn doesn't do it) But i think it's just the adjuster....

There might be a rubber boot over it, it's on the side of the perch where the line goes in, if the boot's there just grab the edge that's over the perch or lever and pull it back.

It's most likely not the springs since it worked fine before u hit the tree and seeing as u hit it with the lever, the problem's up there.

What's a clutch lockout? Sounds badass i think i want one.

monkeyballs
07-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Yup I dont have one but I know they help crap loads. But thats only if your quad is more then uhh I think 40hp, I would have 2 look it up. And you would mostly want it if you do drag racing (poping the clutch) My quad probably has 36ish hp so im close and after my stg 2 cam and high comp piston it should be there.. And if you do get it u cant slowly let off the clutch any more.. its like GIVE IT (crap)! lmao if you know what I mean.

John451
07-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Oo that's sick, do they sell em for bikes? I dont really let the clutch slip wen i take off cuz i constantly ride race style no matter where I am.... Oh yeah, my neighbors LOVE me. NOT!!! Lol I know exactly watcha mean lol. I think my rm250 gets like 38hp or so also im not too sure, i'll hafta look up the stats. But id get it on my rm125 which im sure is at least 35hp. Wait r u sayin you can't let it out slowly or pull it in slowly? And how much are they?

monkeyballs
07-01-2008, 08:05 PM
U can pul it in slowly but u cant let it off slowly.. Since its added pressure on the clutch. So u constantly have 2 be like giving it gas and like u know.. not just slowly let off.. Then idk how much they are just go 2 google and type clutch lock out and read up on it its pretty interesting. But the site I went 2 only said the contacts info.. and all the info about it lol gl

John451
07-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Sounds good. Thanks!

monkeyballs
07-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Any time man. And gl.

gimp419
07-02-2008, 11:07 AM
A lot of times you can add an extra drive plate and that will help the clutch bite more and solve the slippage problems.

John451
07-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by gimp419
A lot of times you can add an extra drive plate and that will help the clutch bite more and solve the slippage problems.

Is the drive plate the ones that stick to the clutch boss or the basket?

gimp419
07-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Drive plates are steel if that helps

monkeyballs
07-03-2008, 06:25 AM
One more sweet thing that you can do 2 keep ur tranny in good condition.. crazy dragers do this they back cut. My friend was talking about doing it 2 his 450r so im not sure how it works. But it would probably be fun 2 google :P again gl and that u g2 go 2 a shop 2 get it done..