PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Advice...

Misfit138
06-29-2008, 07:26 PM
I just got done riding my quad at the track & the dust was unreal!!! We had to practice one at a time because the dust was so thick!!!!!I was just wondering if you guys had some good tips on cleaning my quad that I should know about???Thanks Guys!!

wildyellow400
06-29-2008, 07:41 PM
for the plastics? I get a windex bottle and put a bit of dish soap in and water then spray it on then rinse it off works good.... sometimes needs a bit of scrubbing with a rag or something.

Misfit138
06-29-2008, 07:42 PM
What about the frame and under side of it??

loves2spooge
06-29-2008, 08:47 PM
lol.. spray it with a hose?

alex10
06-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Automotive degreaser and a pressure washer.

01exrider 281
06-29-2008, 08:56 PM
pressue washer, liquid performance cycle wash, a brush or a rag, let it drie after washing good, then get a rag and some honda polish or pro prep, and some time.

CrewCab
06-29-2008, 10:08 PM
I use Simple Green just spray it on, and hose it off. Takes off everything and I dont even have to touch the quad even clay, takes it off too. .

06-29-2008, 10:17 PM
scrubbing with your hands is the best way to get it looking nice. Powerwash or use the hose on a hard setting to get clumps off or spray most dust of. Then dishsoap and water or simple green, anything like that and take a car srubbing mit and dip it in and wash it good. Dry i off wax your plastics and run down everything else with the rag that you used to wax the plastics because it will still have some wax stuff left on it and it cleans everything and makes it finish without spots or anything. Thats the best method that i have found. For the seat I use a vinyl cleaner but I cant do it near the letters on the side of the seat because it will take the print right out of it. I've actually used a toothbrush washing my quad before lol it took a lot of time but it looked better than it ever did

TheNewn
06-29-2008, 11:49 PM
Simple Green and a preasure washer.

The real key is to clean it after EVERY ride, don't let the dirt sit there and really become difficult to get off.

If possible, don't let the mud/dirt dry on the quad, clean it as soon as you can.

01exrider 281
06-30-2008, 11:39 AM
for finishing the cleaning i use PJ1 plastic and vinyl cleaner. just spray it on and wipe it off. is make ur seat really slippy and might pull the letter out but mine are already worn off so idk. but simple green or liquid performance cycle wash works awsome. both are great products. good luck cleaning

Les Davis
06-30-2008, 12:19 PM
It's a little pricey but I use Liquid Performance after every ride. Hose your bike down to get heave mud/dirt off. Spray bike down with LP and let sit for a few minutes and hose off. I'm pretty anal so I handwash the bike afterwards as well but you could get away with just the LP only. After washing good, I coat the engine with wd-40 and use any generic tire shine to wipe the plastics down with. Only problem though is that the dust tends to collect to it more but the bike looks nice until you ride. I've heard people use mop and glo and some other products to shine the plastic though. There are several threads on this already.

Also I used Simple Green for years but found that the LP does a much better job cleaning the dirt away.

01exrider 281
06-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Les Davis
It's a little pricey but I use Liquid Performance after every ride. Hose your bike down to get heave mud/dirt off. Spray bike down with LP and let sit for a few minutes and hose off. I'm pretty anal so I handwash the bike afterwards as well but you could get away with just the LP only. After washing good, I coat the engine with wd-40 and use any generic tire shine to wipe the plastics down with. Only problem though is that the dust tends to collect to it more but the bike looks nice until you ride. I've heard people use mop and glo and some other products to shine the plastic though. There are several threads on this already.

Also I used Simple Green for years but found that the LP does a much better job cleaning the dirt away.

LP FTW! it is a tab pricey but my mom gets it at work so i get a discount so wth. cant complain about it tho

hypersnyper6947
07-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Pressure washer works pretty good for me, just re grease everything when your done. I had some mud baked on my header and exhaust, i used a brass wire brush and it took it right off. I also had some surface rust on my axle and a stainless wire brush took that right off, it was great.

loves2spooge
07-01-2008, 05:27 PM
what things do u need to keep greased when u powerwash?

i dont use a powerwasher but i have one