PDA

View Full Version : CT Pipe/Silencer Fitment Issues - Any Suggestions?

danhung11
06-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Anyone ever have an Aren's Frame CT Mid Range Pipe Combo?

Here are some pics of my current build. It is all bolted up, however look at the clearance on the silencer, it touches the subframe in two places. Mind you that it was a royal pain in the arse to get to this point (3 hours). Seems like fitment should be better than this.

Anyone have issues with CT's pipe OR bolting up other pipes to Aren's Frames?

Another question, do you think the radiator hoses would blow off no clamps were used? I want to say so, but they are really snug.

Any help would be much appreciated.

-Dan

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/danhung11/000_1206.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/danhung11/000_1210.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/danhung11/000_1209.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/danhung11/000_1206.jpg

CorvetteZ06
06-29-2008, 07:47 PM
my exhaust rubs slightly in the same places, but its not a problem. and yes, DEF. DEF. put some hose clamps on those rad hoses!

BigBore24
06-29-2008, 08:07 PM
just out of curiosity why wouldnt you use clamps?

pdxbigfoot
06-30-2008, 12:22 AM
Get rid of the OEM hanger on the expansion chamber and replace it with a fabricated one.
Maybe get some raw aluminum plate stock 1/8"(thick) by 1"(wide) by 2-3" long,drill 2 holes(9/16") in it one at each end,find some rubber gromets and put a small metal spacer in it basically creating your own longer hanger that will have some rubber "give" as not to rattle it apart and crack qiuckly.
You might have to move it back to the headstay bolt hole but that also might give you some leway, give you a little more freedom with placement and enough to get the silencer off the frame.

Does the tailpipe of the expansion chamber rub the frame right behind the kickstarter in pic #1??

Does your pipe use the stock bottom mount??

Does the silencer use the bottom mount?? or just the top back one?

This might be a stupid idea but i have seen it done once before on a CR500 conversion that had a custom hand-coned pipe and it worked leak free.
What if you were to "disconnect" your silencer from the expansion chamber and build a flexible "coupler" using a inch or two of high temp silicone turbo hose that would slip over the tailpipe and then over the silencer pipe.
The hose is the same material as your hose's and as you know comes in a wide variety of colors.
The one that i saw had used regular hose clamps but i would use a t-bolt clamp like this
http://www.turbohoses.com/Tbolt.gif
If that pushes your silencer back to far take some of the front silencer off with a tubing cutter
they look great and have tremendous clamping and sealing abilitys. In fact something like the above picture might be exacally what you need.
I think that that would give you some "play" and you would be able to manuver your silencer off your frame.
Between the different top mount/gromet thing and the "flexible"silencer joint you should be able to get a much better fitment.

I would lay in bed at night thinking about that silencer eating away at my fresh powder...but then again im a little crazy and i obsess with things like that.
Give me a buzz when you can and we can B.S. about it....Good luck!
J

C-LEIGH RACING
06-30-2008, 08:03 AM
Keep in mind, that CT pipe was designed around the stock 250R frame & that Arens frame is just a bit different. Little things were changed on the Arens to make it better than a stocker.

The silencer, theres a two bolt hanger you use to mount that. Two bolts mount it to the silencer & then the rubber cushion goes to the frame, reverce from how the hanger is for the pipe at the head stay.
Something else you need to remember as well, for a 2 stroke pipe to function as its suppost to, it needs to be mounted free, not binding so it can have a bit of movement.
Sounds crazy, but you lock it down in place & it wont work 100%, + soon or later the mounting points will break loose from the pipe, got to be free.
Neil

danhung11
06-30-2008, 04:14 PM
First off, the clamp deal was just a thought seeing that every set of hoses I have had are chewed up - never had new ones before just the ones that I acquired on bikes. These CV4 hoses are top notch and the bends and formations in them are perfect to where they touch nothing. Didn't want to chew them up with the std. clamps. :o

Jason -

Does the tailpipe of the expansion chamber rub the frame right behind the kickstarter in pic #1?? - Negative, it clears everything.

Does your pipe use the stock bottom mount? No, only the top one by the head and the lowermount to the rear heel guard, bottom silencer mount.

Does the silencer use the bottom mount?? or just the top back one? Lower one by the heel guard.

Neil -
as far as your comment about not bolting it up to prevent binding - what mounts would you use? It is tight right now, I assume threadlock and loosening it up would be okay. Your thoughts? How frustrating!

Anyone have a spare #10 laying around?
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/danhung11/2771_EXHAUST20MUFFLER.gif

redred55
06-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Dan, I have a used and a new #10. Let me know. -Pete

C-LEIGH RACING
07-01-2008, 06:45 AM
What I was saying about not locking it down tight so the pipe wont be binding.
Take that top mount loose & just let the pipe sit free, only thing holding it to the bike are the springs on the pipe joint & those at the cylinder, then, put one bolt through the top mounting hanger rubber to the pipe bracket & then if you need to make a piece of flat metal from the hanger to the frame.
I have taken those hangers & welded a piece of extra metal to it to extend the mounting range & then slotted the hole for even more adjustment.
Back at the silencer, if the hole in the subframe didnt line up with the rubber hanger hole I've made a flat piece to fit over to the rubber part of the hanger, extention of sorts.

Have sometimes used nuts as bolt spacers making things fit. Some may say that is gauddy looking, but hey, I'll use what ever mount that THEY want to buy me to use :D.
Neil

Aceman
07-01-2008, 07:14 AM
Is there any way to flip that expansion chamber mount over so the pipe bolts from the outside in? If that was possible it looks like it would pull the pipe away from the engine possibly helping with the silencer angle and maybe keep it from rubbing the sub.

I'll say right now, my LRD adjustable doesn't mount well either. I'm using a homemade piece of stainless flat bar with a custom hole spacing for the expansion. On the silencer, I'm using a piece of 1/8" aluminum plate with custom hole spacing along with a nylon spacer to get it right. So needless to say, my pipe is mounted rigid with NO rubber cushioning. Doesn't make it right but I haven't had any problems in 2 years.

TheNewn
07-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by redred55
Dan, I have a used and a new #10. Let me know. -Pete

I'd be interested in getting one of those, PM me the details please.

danhung11
07-03-2008, 07:53 PM
I bought one from Jason already, should be on it's way.

I emailed you about a pipe, you may be out of town.

Have a safe 4th everyone!

Dan

danhung11
07-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
Is there any way to flip that expansion chamber mount over so the pipe bolts from the outside in? If that was possible it looks like it would pull the pipe away from the engine possibly helping with the silencer angle and maybe keep it from rubbing the sub.

I'll say right now, my LRD adjustable doesn't mount well either. I'm using a homemade piece of stainless flat bar with a custom hole spacing for the expansion. On the silencer, I'm using a piece of 1/8" aluminum plate with custom hole spacing along with a nylon spacer to get it right. So needless to say, my pipe is mounted rigid with NO rubber cushioning. Doesn't make it right but I haven't had any problems in 2 years.

I think you are right about flipping the expansion chamber mount the other way = waiting for the bracket from Jason.

The pipe needs to go back about 3/4". I plan to bolt the silencer up properly first then make a custom mount for the expansion chamber. What I do like about this pipe is the fitment of the headpipe to the exhaust flange - nice and tight.

Tony - you running Aren's frame? I have heard them LRD pipes bolt up nice on OEM frames. Perhaps the frame is the culprit - :scary:

Master LTR450
07-08-2008, 09:51 PM
i would have to say it is the arens frame. i have ct pipes on my stock 250r and my lobo and they both bolted up just fine.

Aceman
07-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by danhung11
Tony - you running Aren's frame? Perhaps the frame is the culprit - :scary:

Yes I am. I also believe it's a frame problem.

Member "250R Dee" runs an Arens and I remember him mentioning pipe fitment issues as well.

danhung11
07-09-2008, 07:49 PM
I got the #10 mounting bracket on, but there is no way to get the lower silencer mount to match up.

Can someone snap some pics of their "custom" mounts up so I can take a gander?

Also, does anyone know if a ESR Centermount will bolt up to this Aren's Frame?

I want to kick myself for not going with a Laeger Frame. :mad:

TheNewn
07-09-2008, 08:03 PM
You know there is also a similar bracket that is supposed to go with the bottom mount on the silencer.

TheNewn
07-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Its #9 in the diagram...

danhung11
07-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by TheNewn
Its #9 in the diagram...

Yes, I know. I have 4 of those but had them pc'ed and didn't know there was rubber in them. They are somewhat brittle. :o

TheNewn
07-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Oh alright, just making sure. Guess you're going to just have to cut out a piece of 3/16" aluminum and bolt her up, no big deal.

let us know what you do.