PDA

View Full Version : More power from 525

ojcool
06-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Anyone done anything more than exhaust, jetting, and air filter to their 525. I'm especially interested in port work. I have looked at the big bore kits but with the bikes already having some cooling problems I would rather go a different direction. Plus I read somewhere the big bore does seems to do more for torque than HP and HP is where this bike is weaker to me.

I want the bike to dust piped and tuned Renagades, I raced a friends last week and I only won one out of 4 races. He only weighs like 150lbs and I am 205 though. I would like to get like 10 more hp to the ground. Right now the bike is piped jetted and filtered.

OutlawBill
06-30-2008, 05:15 AM
http://www.kbratv.com/KBR.htm

ojcool
06-30-2008, 09:43 PM
I didn't see much on their website about KTM stuff, I guess I need to call them.

Have you had any experience with mods on this engine? Since it is already a race ready motor I just wonder if there is much to gain with porting ect....

I modified my stock exhaust. Removed all but one baffle and it's jetted 165 main 2 turns 4th clip red needle and runs good, I wonder if changing to an aftermarket exhaust and headpipe is going to make much difference... CDI? I have a feeling that to pick up any real power there is going to have to be major engine work.

sheriff525
06-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Go up a tooth in the rear and down one in the front. It will launch like there is no tommorow and you will loose minimum top end. It feels way more powerful!

We did this to my little brothers and he kills us off the start and by the time your topping out in 5th he is still a bike and a half ahead before we start gaining on him.

besides When do you ever go top speed anyway?

525 Outlaw Dude
07-01-2008, 12:25 AM
well I have the ct pipe and a K&N filter with the lid modded and am running a 158 jet and i just raced are next door neibore with the renegade 800 piped with hmf and he dosent even know what hits him, i also raced a SX250 and bye bye 250 until we hit top end and he paced. believe me a ct pipe and a cam will do you wonders it did for me!!!! :)

OutlawBill
07-01-2008, 09:04 AM
KBR made a KTM 525 stock bore hill racer, they say has about 60 hp rear wheel power.

ojcool
07-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Do you have a cam?

158 main? What elevation are you at? That would be lean down here at 187' elevation. I'm running 165 main and I really need to put a 170 in it. I left the 165 in b/c I was riding at 2k elevation last week in TN. I still felt like it wanted some more fuel up top though.

To the other guy, I don't have any problem losing some top end, I never ride that fast even on roads due to the fact that if something goes wrong your f'ing hurting. I'm no speed freak, I like to get there really really fast though.

I don't understand why I'm having so much trouble with the renegade then, I'm not spinning and my launch is good, in fact, I'm winning the launch every time but in the middle he just has so much HP he catches up and passes, there is a 50lb weight difference in his favor though, but that should not be enough to be deciding this race. I did win one but he is kind of a baby and when I had a couple bike lengths on him he just let off then he would not race again. So maybe it will beat it. We were racing on grass which puts in alot of variables.

Anyone else race any Renagades? I have no problem taking Outlanders at all, it's just this Renegade.

OutlawBill
07-01-2008, 09:26 AM
A pipe will make a difference it will let the engine breath more, all so look into Scary fast power now set up. A big bore can acutely make you quad run a little cooler with the extra torque it moves easier, you will need to short shift or get taller gears.

ojcool
07-01-2008, 07:19 PM
How much power would you say you picked up from going to the 540? Did you do anything to the head?

ojcool
07-02-2008, 11:55 AM
I called KBR and they said they had not done an KTM 525 big bore yet but they were in the process of doing one right now. It's going to be a 610cc. I'll call back in a couple of weeks to see how it went.

They had done some head work on one, installed bigger valves but he did not seem all that impressed with the results. I don't think there is that much power in the head on these bike. It's a pretty good design from the factory I guess. Too bad b/c head work usually produces the exact kind of higher rev HP that I am after.

525 Outlaw Dude
07-02-2008, 01:51 PM
well the fastest bike in are town was a banshee, none of the 450's, 700's and a buddies and my outlaw 525 could not beat him! I got the K&N, ct pipe, hot cam, modded the lid to let more air in and air the tires up to create less drag and now there is nobody that can keep with me, i can not even try and still beat them!!! :)

ojcool
07-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Not really fair to compare the Banshee to the Outlaw. I have both, the banshee would easily smoke the Outlaw. Of course the Banshee is far from stock.

370cc
20cc cool head
Pod filters
Ported Jugs
LRD pipes

In stock form a Banshee is not impressive, but it's the same bike they have been selling since 1987.
Terrible suspension, the whole design is just so outdated. It's just a big Powerband and nothing else. Nothing can touch a banshee for sand and drag though.

So many people (including myself) buy them for the wrong application. They are terrible trail bikes however there is nothing I would want to be on more for hill climbing. The bike is so nose heavy it's the safest bike I have ridden for climbing hills.

610cc on the outlaw... Maybe I will change my mind.

SSJEFF
07-03-2008, 04:51 AM
"Plus I read somewhere the big bore does seems to do more for torque than HP and HP is where this bike is weaker to me."

Power (HP) = Torque (lb.in) x Speed (RPM) / 63,025
or
Power (HP) = Torque (ft lbs.) x Speed (RPM) / 5252

So.......torque is directly related to horsepower.

You just do not have the power in the upper rpms you want. Cam will change this.