PDA

View Full Version : GTThunder experience/ride reports

mxraptor149
06-29-2008, 04:51 PM
GTThunder is currently servicing my front shocks — Works pro-series triple rates with compression, pre-load adjustments — and I was curious if anyone here would share their experiences with me about how their shocks performed after GTT serviced them.

zrpilot
06-29-2008, 05:25 PM
IMO, there is NO other suspension company that I would have build my shocks.

I have ridden a couple of OEM shock rebuilds and conversions by several companies and GT Thunder has been the best for me.

You should be pleased.

mxraptor149
06-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Good to hear. I can't wait to get them back and try them out.

Anyone else?

coryatver
06-29-2008, 07:27 PM
best you can get. stock rebuilds would probably work better than works though

zrpilot
06-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
best you can get. stock rebuilds would probably work better than works though

X2:macho

mcwilly
06-30-2008, 07:39 AM
I havent had my stock shocks serviced by them, but I am running their HLS shocks on the front. Night and day difference from stock.

Flynbryan19
06-30-2008, 08:27 AM
I have had the ability to ride and own other stock rebuilds and GT Thunder is the best out there at what they do. ;) I also have a set of Elka fronts that I had them work on and they're night and day better compared to how they came from Elka. GTT will treat you right. I highly recommend them. :cool:

nicker71
07-03-2008, 08:48 AM
He does well with his shocks, but laz has screwed me over more than once so I will longer do bussiness with him.

07-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by nicker71
He does well with his shocks, but laz has screwed me over more than once so I will longer do bussiness with him.

kind of curious to hear how this happen

nicker71
07-03-2008, 11:28 AM
I upgraded my rear shock to the high flow setup( had the regular xc set up done the year proir). And the new setup requires a new spring and jetting. He kept the old spring??. When I had my first setup done from stock he sent my stocker back to me, why wouldnt he send the aftermarket one that I paid for last year back to me??? I paid for it
Im sure he paints and reused it one some elses shock!!!

A year later I rebuilt my top end with his +1mm YFZ pistion kit. I requested a carb kit that he has available for a 05 yfz.( I wrote this all down on the sheet that you print out when ever you send anything to them) I had a post of questions before I ordered anything from him on ******** where gt thunder is a sponsor. I just asked general quesions about the performance gains and the break in procedures no big deal. and stuff about getting rid of the throttle bog, he always responce back with a little sentence still leaving my questions unanswered. Whatever no big deal, Im sure he very busy.

I got my package in the mail and they didnt include the jet kit with it. I was a little disapointed, but I called and told them what happened and they said they would send one out the same day. I told them again on the phone make sure LAZ knows its for a 05 YFZ. ( wasnt sure if it made a difference but I wanted them to know)But they WERE still going to charge me shipping even though they messed up.. the $35 jet kit cost me around $50 dollars. O well I wanted the whole set up because I wanted it right.

Heres the part that put me over the edge... The jet kit came in and it uses the stock 04-05 needle and stock 04-05 leak jet. comes with only one polit and one main jet. I had already my quad jetted my may pipe and open lid so I had the main and I was still using my stock needle and stock leak jet so I had them too. I called laz and told me that they messed up, He said that the 04-05 yfz stock jetting was different than the 06+ years. WHY wouldnt you have told me this before I bought the damn thing Ive told you online through ******** and wrote it down when I sent my stock jug and over the phone when you forgot to send the jetkit with my new top end???? Well I guess he could tell I was mad and he deleted my post under GT thunder on ********??? I never even had anything negative on their but I guess he thought I was going to say something bad so he deleted it before I could tell everyone my story.

I paid $50 for a jet that was way off. I put the jet kit in and it was way to lean and would cut out bad. tried a few things with no luck then I called Dirtworks motosports and they helped me get in the right direction with the jetting. I didnt even use the the jets the kit included. I had my stock needle and leak jet in there still. He had me way to lean.

Anyways this is why I dont care for laz, dont get me wrong Im not saying that his stocks arent good because I like my back high flow piston setup. But I just dont like Laz. and will no longer do anything through them.

Scooter86
07-08-2008, 02:31 PM
I just had my rear set up for xc with the high flow valve. For my riding abilities and setup, it works awesome. I shipped the shock on a Friday and had it back the next Friday. I put Fox Floats on the front, and the suspension works well together. I do think I could have just gotten the complete GTThunder front/rear setup for the YFZ and saved some cash without suffering much in ride quality.

mxraptor149
07-09-2008, 12:46 PM
It would have been hard to have him rebuild my stockers because stock Raptor 660 front shocks are non-rebuildable.

I got my Works back 8 days after I shipped them (including a weekend) and rode on them the day I got them back. The shocks ride phenomenally.

And for the price and quick turn around you can't beat the quality. For the same price some other Ohio shock builders charge just to change the oil and seals GTThunder also replaced two of my crossovers and installed two new springs (one per shock) to increase the rate for my style of riding and weight. They also dialed in the compression and preload. Awesome!

My shocks will never go anywhere else.

JCoop
07-09-2008, 02:00 PM
I have nothing but good things to say about Laz and GTT. He has always answered my questions fast and is very helpful. I will say this about him though, he does tend to leave you hanging on answers. I think he thinks faster then he types and tends to leave things out lol. But thats okay. I have his complete suspension package for my R (arms, rebuilt shocks, high flow piston, and link) and they are amazing. I will also add that I bought an a-arm rebuild kit from him not too long ago and he accidentally sent me the wrong steel sleeves, I sent him an email and he OVERNIGHTED the correct sleeves to me at no charge. Thats customer service!

BlaineKaiser450
07-09-2008, 05:15 PM
i rode a 2006 450r with GTT suspension, and i would say it was 85-90% as good as my LT motowoz

07-09-2008, 05:33 PM
for the price, it can't be beat

XCAdam89
07-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Got my 300ex Works DR's serviced by him. Needless to say, when I got them they were tired and crap...now they work great, and look 10x better thanks to some fresh PC. Work better than new.

440ex2001
07-13-2008, 09:38 AM
I'm thinking of getting the complete suspension package. What are the advantages of the a-arms in this package. Does anyone else run it? How is it? I will trail ride with lots of big jumps and some MX on a 2006 450r

JCoop
07-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by 440ex2001
I'm thinking of getting the complete suspension package. What are the advantages of the a-arms in this package. Does anyone else run it? How is it? I will trail ride with lots of big jumps and some MX on a 2006 450r

Laz told me that there isnt any huge advantage to running his arms. Just better turning due to the camber on the arms. If you are going to be doing alot of jumps and MX you probably don't want to get his arms, they are designed for XC purposes. They are + .5 wider.

The arms he designs are also set up for the 05 front end, so you would have to change the hubs and spindles as well.

10-11-2008, 10:00 AM
I know stock shock rebuilds are more popular in XC racing but you dont see them as much in MX. I think maybe most in MX go with long travel? I am wanting to send my shocks out to someone for more of MX type riding. I ride a lot of trails and pits and almost every trail has a lot of whoops. Thats the biggest thing I want to have a plush ride over. But when i get to a pit I like to haul *** and make things like MX hitting any jump I can find but when I do find a nice jump I hav to take it easy and not have as much fun because the stock shocks arent so soft on landings and dont have the best bottom out resistance while still being plush. How rough are MX shocks in trails? and how soft are XC shocks on a motorcross type track?

nicker71
10-11-2008, 01:24 PM
I have his rear shock on my yfz it has the high flow pistion in it and his XC link. Its the best rear set up I have ever rode on for XC. I have race it in a motocross race and It would bottom out a lot, which was expected. I even had the compression all the way up. Through the woops though I felt I had an advantage over the motocross set ups.

just get motocross set up shocks, im sure they are still softer than stock and wont bottom out as bad. But not as plush in the woods as a xc shock would be.

I would recommend gtt shocks for which application you choose.

10-12-2008, 08:05 PM
what makes one XC vs MX? spring weights and valving? XC will have softer springs and lower valving vs. the MX? Whats the biggest jump you could flatland on the XC and just bottom out?