PDA

View Full Version : best coolent?

GE4x4
06-29-2008, 04:49 PM
The race series I'm in is tight and technical and 2nd gear is about all you can do. So not a lot of air going through my radiator. So what can I use to keep my 525 cool. I have a temp guage and it ran as high as 238 but did not boil over and still ran great. But I know it's to hot. The fan runs non stop and the radiator is clean as I can see right through. So what additive or coolent is best? My light comes on at 221, so I need a good 20 cooler.

gojk
06-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by GE4x4
The race series I'm in is tight and technical and 2nd gear is about all you can do. So not a lot of air going through my radiator. So what can I use to keep my 525 cool. I have a temp guage and it ran as high as 238 but did not boil over and still ran great. But I know it's to hot. The fan runs non stop and the radiator is clean as I can see right through. So what additive or coolent is best? My light comes on at 221, so I need a good 20 cooler.

What are you currently running? Hard to say what is better when we don't know what you are starting with.

The best for cooling is prob straight distilled water, but don't leave it that way for too long. Most coolants have corosion inhibitors that are very important.

416exfreak
06-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Engine Ice.;)

GE4x4
06-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by gojk
What are you currently running? Hard to say what is better when we don't know what you are starting with.

The best for cooling is prob straight distilled water, but don't leave it that way for too long. Most coolants have corosion inhibitors that are very important.

I'm running the Outlaw 525 jetted to a 160mj from a 148 with EHS lid and stock exhaust with larger end cap.

416exfreak
06-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by GE4x4
I'm running the Outlaw 525 jetted to a 160mj from a 148 with EHS lid and stock exhaust with larger end cap.

I think he meant, what are you running as a coolant at the moment?

honda300EXtreme
06-29-2008, 06:56 PM
engine ice with the water wetter additive should definatly help out a little bit, we have always had good luck with both

GE4x4
06-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
I think he meant, what are you running as a coolant at the moment?

It's all stock coolent.

SRH
06-29-2008, 09:20 PM
i use engine ice, my fan never even comes on

wilkin250r
06-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Engine ice still contains glycol (the actual anti-freezing additive), so it's not going to perform as well as coolants without glycol.

Trust me, I did a lot of research on coolants and thermal transfers several years back.

The BEST coolant you will find is Water Wetter and distilled water. The only drawback is that it won't protect against freezing, so if your quad is exposed to freezing temps and you need actual antifreeze, then Engine Ice is probably your best bet.

pro-rider46
06-30-2008, 12:08 AM
just plain distilled water will boil over at 238, you need something with it like water wetter, two things keep your radiator water from boiling, 1) anti - freeze (water wetter), and 2) pressure

wilkin250r
06-30-2008, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
just plain distilled water will boil over at 238, you need something with it like water wetter, two things keep your radiator water from boiling, 1) anti - freeze (water wetter), and 2) pressure

Even more important, plain distilled water by itself will corrode your radiator and coolant passages. The purpose of antifreeze is two-fold; protection from freezing, and protection from corrosion.

KXRida
06-30-2008, 06:40 AM
you could also try another rad. cap. When it's really hot out, I run water wetter and distilled in mine. Once the temps cool back down it gets maxima coolanol.

400exrider707
06-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by SRH
i use engine ice, my fan never even comes on

You have to be riding it for it to come on, so that's probably why it never comes on Bill.

I read a very interesting tech article a couple years ago in motocross action and they went through how coolant worked and the different chemicals in it. They also broke it down to which coolant worked best for a 250 four stroke and which worked best for a 450 four stroke. I will try and find the magazine later and post some more tech info on it, but I do remember that for a 450 four stroke the best anti heat, anti-corrosion, magnesium safe combo was 50% maxima coolanol and 50% maxima cool-aide, and that is what I've run.

gojk
06-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Even more important, plain distilled water by itself will corrode your radiator and coolant passages. The purpose of antifreeze is two-fold; protection from freezing, and protection from corrosion.

Yup, which is why I said run it for the race and then change it out.

Just going from a 50/50 mix in my 1000rr to a 90/10 mix made a huge diff in these AZ temps.

gojk
06-30-2008, 09:40 AM
One more thing to look at. Are you running lean? If so that will raise the temp of the engine significantly.

pro-rider46
06-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

yep tru dat.

so during the summer months its okay to use just water wetter and distilled, because i may swap my coolant for this.

wilkin250r
06-30-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
so during the summer months its okay to use just water wetter and distilled, because i may swap my coolant for this.

Yes, as long as it doesn't freeze. Water Wetter contains all the necessary corrosion inhibitors that you need, plus additional additive to reduce surface tension (which will improve cooling efficiency even more).

I run distilled and water wetter through the summer months, and I'm running a 340cc on a stock radiator without overheating, and then I switch to Engine Ice (or Maxima Coolanol, or some other anti-freeze mix) in the winter.