PDA

View Full Version : firebird v8

yfzrider310
06-29-2008, 10:50 AM
I guess I was wondering what kind of fuel millage these get in a manual transmission. Also I was wondering if the they make the v6 firebird with a manual transmission.

06-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Firebirds with a v8 are called a Formula or Transam. They both come in six speed manuals with the t56 tranny. In my ws6 I get about 15 mpg, but I'm 19 and take full liberties of it. The Firebird v6 version does come with a manual option, but it's a five speed. The v8's reccommend running premium fuel in the manual btw, and everyone I know does. If you do a lot of interstate and highway driving, it would actually be a great car. Mine at 60mph in 6th gear turns at 1200 rmps. It's in town where you lose the mpgs...cause every idiot with a civic cobalt lancer etc wants to drag race you.

The v8 manual's come with a fuel saving system called skip shift. I turned mine off cause I hate it, but when the engine is at temp, and you accelerate in 1st gear at the right rpms, it locks out 2nd and 3rd so you have to shift to 4th. The v8 is a beast and lugging it in 4th and 15mph is nothing, but when you're pulling out in traffic and that happens it could lead to trouble, that's why I turned mine off.

When you go to buy one, main tip, roll down the passenger window four or five times, #1 failure on the fourth gens is the passenger window motor, gm put to small of one in for some reason. I had to replace mine right after I bought it.

yfzrider310
06-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the information. I would really like the power of the v8 but with gas prices these days I really don't know anymore. I never do any city driving because out in the country its either your going 60 or your at a stop sign. I guess 19 mpg isn't that bad its just the premium gas is what I am worried about. Is it possible to run with 87 octane? Is 19mpg when your cruzing or just everyday driving. What kind of gas millage does it get going 6th gear at 55 mph? Thanks for all the help.

Aarons 01 400EX
06-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Depends on how you drive it. In my 95' Z28(heads/cam, 3200stall, suspension) I would get 23mpg with mixed driving. In my 2000TA M6 (heads/cam/ 12bolt, suspension, FAST intake) I got 22-25mpg depending on how I drove it and how the tune was acting. I ran a 11.99@118mph with a broken tranny, before I sold it.

The window motors aren't the problem. It is the module that is attached to them. There is a fix for the issue without replacing the motor. I think Shoebox on LS1tech has the fix on his webpage.

IMHO, I wouldn't get a V6 f-body. the mpg is roughly similiar. Now your insurance rates might make you get the V6.

My buddies 2002 Z06 gets around 30mpg on the highway and 24mpg in town.

06-29-2008, 03:12 PM
I've seen people getting 28mpg on all highway driving in a v8 m6. As for the window issue, auto-trix makes the module fix with a re-wire. I bought it, made the window go up and down way faster, but it fried a fuse, bought a new one, fried that also. I went back to stock wiring and a new window motor and it worked awesome. The problem is wiring though, the distance is to great. The wiring kit is just three relays and a new ground.

As for insurance, I paid 1100 for comprehensive for six months when I got it, but now they've bumped me down to 850 or so. Cause I'm that awesome.

As for running 87 octane, it really depends on your elevation. Try it and see if you get any early detonation issues. You could also retard the ignition if you wanted to. You won't be making peak hp, that's for sure.

Don't lie to us though...saying your going to go 55mph and take it easy. Right!

iamsickofitall
06-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Prodigal
Firebirds with a v8 are called a Formula or Transam. They both come in six speed manuals with the t56 tranny. In my ws6 I get about 15 mpg, but I'm 19 and take full liberties of it. The Firebird v6 version does come with a manual option, but it's a five speed. The v8's reccommend running premium fuel in the manual btw, and everyone I know does. If you do a lot of interstate and highway driving, it would actually be a great car. Mine at 60mph in 6th gear turns at 1200 rmps. It's in town where you lose the mpgs...cause every idiot with a civic cobalt lancer etc wants to drag race you.

The v8 manual's come with a fuel saving system called skip shift. I turned mine off cause I hate it, but when the engine is at temp, and you accelerate in 1st gear at the right rpms, it locks out 2nd and 3rd so you have to shift to 4th. The v8 is a beast and lugging it in 4th and 15mph is nothing, but when you're pulling out in traffic and that happens it could lead to trouble, that's why I turned mine off.

When you go to buy one, main tip, roll down the passenger window four or five times, #1 failure on the fourth gens is the passenger window motor, gm put to small of one in for some reason. I had to replace mine right after I bought it.

pretty much what he said...i have heads/cam and all the boltons on my camaro and run mid 11's consistently. my only problem now is that none of the local tracks will let me run without a rollbar.

cruising around town will get me about 11mpg and cruising on the highway will get me about 22mpg with it sitting in 6th gear. if you drive it like a jerk (like me), you'll get like 10mpg on the highway.

first thing to do is bypass the skip shift either via programming or with a module that a bunch of different companies make.

as far as the passenger window goes, they all go up slow, but someone makes a plug n play wiring harness for it so it has a true, short distance 12v power source.

if you're looking for more info, check out ls1tech.com ls1tech.com (http://ls1tech.com) . there's more info about f-bodies than anywhere else on the interwebs.

yfzrider310
06-29-2008, 10:32 PM
I cant afford speeding tickets though. The only time I will be rippin is when I am late for school or if im in the cities racing some rice grinders with there fart-cannons. I guess thats easier said than done though. Im sure the first day I get it I'll be topping her out. Thanks for the help guys.

RideRed84
06-30-2008, 07:04 AM
I've had 3 V8 birds and had run 87 in each one. It is a naturally aspirated motor so there is no reason you need to run 92. It is just a suggestion. I had a 92 5.7 TPI with a decent amount of mods and ran it at the track on 87 and 92 and there was no difference at all. My last T/A was an auto and got about 22mpg on the highway at 75.

Aarons 01 400EX
06-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Prodigal

As for insurance, I paid 1100 for comprehensive for six months when I got it, but now they've bumped me down to 850 or so. Cause I'm that awesome.

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: $1100 for 6 months? $850 for 6 months? :eek2: :eek2:

yfzrider, what year f-body were you looking at getting?