PDA

View Full Version : By By Welds

suzuki Z400
12-02-2002, 04:59 PM
I just grinded out the head pipe welds in my z and u can feel a little difference. I would recomend it if u have a slip on or are just looking for free power! I take mine apart after everytime i ride it, and this time i took of the radiator. After you take that off, there is a little thermostat (that was connected to the radiator) mounted to the engine above the headpipe. take that off, and it slips right off. I dont think you have to take the radiator off, but i would. You'd be suprized howmuch dirt there is hiding under everything. Any ways, make sure u drain the radiator fluid first, and then take the radiator pieces off. Also, make sure u dont grind too far into the pipe, and get an air blower and blow all the scraps out when ur done. P.S. Watch out for metal splinters. It should give about 1 to 2 horse power. Have fun!

Z400central
12-02-2002, 05:10 PM
Good tip!!! did you have to re jet at all?

suzuki Z400
12-02-2002, 05:22 PM
Nope. I have a k&n and that and i didnt have to rejet. once i get a slip on, i definatly will.... but if all you have is that, or a K&N and that, you shouldnt have to.

Guy400
12-02-2002, 06:48 PM
I highly doubt grinding the weld out is going to gain you 1-2hp unless the weld are blocking half the head pipe. While it's a good free mod, you're not going to get that kind of power out of it.