PDA

View Full Version : new tires and wheels...

wildchilds74
06-29-2008, 02:31 AM
I finaly bought new tires for my 400EX, because the only tires they had in stock were already mounted on rims. They gave me a great deal on the itp wheels and tires. I got them home and noticed the stock wheels have a built in washer for reinforcement at the lug nuts. The new itp wheels are drilled smaller and do not have any reinforcement like the stock wheels do. The stock lug nuts are the typical acorn style lug nuts... Do I need to get different lug nuts for the new wheels?
They fit much tighter on the studs, but they also don't have room for the angle of the lug nuts to do what they are designed for...
Any help?
thanx
scott

exrider49
06-29-2008, 10:55 AM
the stock wheels are tapered for the acorn style lug nuts, all you need to do is put the flat side of the lug nut towards your wheel because it is not tapered , so the acorn looking side does go against the wheel

wildchilds74
06-29-2008, 03:17 PM
That's what I did, but from years of turning wrenches as a mechanic... Generally car wheels that use that design, also use a lug nut that has a washer built into it so that the lug nut does not grind directly against the rim surface.