PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get a stuck bolt out?

416exfreak
06-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Ok, well here my problem.

Im trying to take the old seatbelts out of my 79 F100, but the bolt that holds the driver side belt on is stuck and rounded off on the inside (it was a 5/16 allen head).

I cant get to it with a cutoff wheel, and I dont think I can drill it (cant risk messing up the threads, because there isnt enough material to re-tap). I cant use a torch, because its on the inside of the truck and I cant get vice-grips on it because they hit the back window. I also cant weld, because its inside the truck and the sparks wouldnt do my interior any favors (especially since its all BRAND NEW! :( )

I've thought about getting a torx bit (the star bits), one that is just a size too big for the hole, and beating it in the hole as deep as it can go then getting an impact gun on it. The hole is already rounded, so I cant use an allen...

I really need help here. Im open to any suggestions or ideas.

Thanks,
Justin

trx310R#24
06-28-2008, 08:09 PM
bolts i have problems with i oil them really good then hit it with the inpact gun...

jesseweaver
06-28-2008, 08:11 PM
spray some penetrating oil on it then get it with the impact gun. if that doesnt get it out, nothing will

416exfreak
06-28-2008, 08:16 PM
What am I supposed to put in the rounded out hole?

Its not a bolt with a hexagonal (6-sided) head. Its a bolt with a round head that HAD a 5/16 sized allen head in it. Now its just rounded out.

416exfreak
06-28-2008, 08:18 PM
The bolt that is stuck in it looks like these, except bigger and the hole in the center is just rounded out.:scary:

trx310R#24
06-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
The bolt that is stuck in it looks like these, except bigger and the hole in the center is just rounded out.:scary:

ok take a size bigger if its a mm use a standard in it
an hit it with a hammer till it gos all the way in (make sure its all the way in)
then it should work

iv done it before an it works really well

06-28-2008, 08:31 PM
take a socket just tight enough to not slip over the rounded head and then hammer it on but make sure its tight enough that you have to hammer it good to get it on there and then just back it out with a drill.

be sure its an old socket you dont mind loosing.

Aceman
06-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Try finding a metric hex socket a little bigger and pound it into the bolt GOOD. Or even a torx socket. I would highly recommend using an impact, the hammering action helps loosen bolts. Use penetrating oil if possible.

If all else fails, weld a nut onto the top of it and use a welders blanket, etc to cover the carpet and catch the sparks.

06-28-2008, 08:33 PM
hahah btw i like the quote in your sig 416ex....funny stuff

jesseweaver
06-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by z400rider08
hahah btw i like the quote in your sig 416ex....funny stuff

lol no way dude not funny at all:rolleyes:

416exfreak
06-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Ive considered the socket thing.

I cant use an allen socket on this bolt. The hole is completely rounded off. Im thinking about the Torx bit also.

I have the use of an air hammer, so I can pound something into the hole if I need to.

I dont have a welders blanket. Is there anything I can use as a substitute?

Thanks for the suggestions, please keep them coming.

And thanks z400rider08, he walked right into it.:devil:

jesseweaver
06-28-2008, 08:43 PM
i know the secret way to do it, it will only take you 20 seconds to do it and its not hard at all, it will just pop right out, but i cant tell you until you take that out:blah:

Kickstarts-suck
06-28-2008, 11:59 PM
One of my seatbelt bolts are like that too. Some idiot (previous owner) stripped it out and ended up cutting the middle seat belt instead of going the hard-right way.

Now I want to put in a new middle seat belt but the bolt is stripped..

:ermm:

sparksmakefire
06-29-2008, 08:32 AM
you can always try taking a dremel and cutting a line through the head and putting a BIG flat screwdriver in it and putting channel locks on the screwdriver. OR weld a nut on to the stripped bolt. and try it that way.

Hondamaster5505
06-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Take the allen wrench. Stick the long end of it into the bolt head. Take a hammer and give it a good hard wack. Maybe a couple. This a lot of times breaks the bolt loose. then try to turn it out.

tri5ron
06-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Try using one of these.
It's called abolt extractor.

They are specifically designed to grab onto a rounded off bolt head or nut.
It works the same way as a EZ-out, except it grabs the outside of the bolt, rather than drilling a hole and inserting an EZ-out into the hole.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8389.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8393.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8396.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8397.jpg

trx310R#24
06-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by tri5ron
Try using one of these.

It works the same way as a EZ-out, except it grabs the outside of the bolt, rather than drilling a hole and inserting an EZ-out into the hole.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8389.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8393.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8396.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8397.jpg

them things work

born2ride14
06-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Take a Chisel and tap on the side with a hammer and then angle the chisle so when you you go to hit it ,it will turn to the left.

hope that makes since:confused:

416exfreak
06-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
i know the secret way to do it, it will only take you 20 seconds to do it and its not hard at all, it will just pop right out, but i cant tell you until you take that out:blah:

How about you tell me, and if it works I'll take it out of my sig.

416exfreak
06-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
Try using one of these.

I dont see how it can grab onto something thats round though. If you can explain it to me and convince me that it might work then I'll give it a shot.

06-29-2008, 06:44 PM
heat and lots of heat if you can apply. if you have a welder near by tap weld a old socket/allenkey or anything to it. if not. you can try to cut a slot in it with a dremel and use a Flathead screwdriver but it seems like it might be to tight for that. if not grind the sides down a little so it has 2 flat sides. and get a good set of vices and turn it. that will be your best bet if its not like counter sinked.

416exfreak
06-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by walshyfz86
heat and lots of heat if you can apply. if you have a welder near by tap weld a old socket/allenkey or anything to it. if not. you can try to cut a slot in it with a dremel and use a Flathead screwdriver but it seems like it might be to tight for that. if not grind the sides down a little so it has 2 flat sides. and get a good set of vices and turn it. that will be your best bet if its not like counter sinked.

I dont think I can really apply heat. I need to get a picture of the situation. I will as soon as possible, right now it's pouring down rain outside.

The bolt is entirely to tight to use a screwdriver, and I dont really want to shoot sparks all over the interior of my truck, but it looks like im not going to have a choice...

Im really thinking about unbolting the seat, laying a thick peice of rubber mat down over my carpet and just welding a damn nut onto it so I can hit it with an impact gun.

Please keep the suggestions coming everyone!

And Kickstarts, you should be able to get a pair of vice-grips on that bolt...I had to do that to mine, it was tight and the pliers barely fit but I got it to come out with some persuasion.

Busted Warrior
06-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Pipe wrenches FTW I had to use a mini one on the seatbelts on my bros wrangler. The wrench and a long breaker bar.

416exfreak
06-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Busted Warrior
Pipe wrenches FTW I had to use a mini one on the seatbelts on my bros wrangler. The wrench and a long breaker bar.

Cant get them on the bolt. The truck is a single cab, the back window is in the way of me doing that or it would have already been tried.

tri5ron
06-29-2008, 09:40 PM
To explain how a bolt extractor grabs onto a rounded off head, in the simplest way possible, the best thing I can say is,

Think of how an EZ-out grabs into the sides of a round hole.
The EZ-Out is tapered, so that as you turn it into the hole, it grabs due to the tapered shape makes it wedge tighter and tighter inside the hle, Right????

Well, a bolt extractor works the same way, except on the OUTSIDE of the bolt head. The "Teeth" on the inside of the extractor are tapered to grab tighter and tighter, the more you turn it on the bolt head.

In other words, the more you turn the extractor, the more the "teeth" will dig into the bolt head. therefore getting a better hold on the bolt head the more you turn it.

I hope that makes sence to you.
If not, then the best thing I an suggest is, go to your local Sears, and check them out. they are fairly self explanatory when you see one.

KXRida
06-30-2008, 06:36 AM
Take the next size up allen and pound it in. Make a new size haha. Oh, and invest in allen head sockets instead of the keys. You don't round them off with the sockets nearly as much as you do with the keys. Go get a set of allen sockets and pound the next size in. That might sound like the least invasive/least involved idea. I would still hit it with some penetrating oil though.

Easy out's may work, but it's hard to say with allen head bolts. If you do have to weld, I'd cover the interior with something. Also, a little tip for smaller allen bolts that strip, cut the slot in it with a dremmel and instead of using a screw driver, take one of those flat head bits, put it in a 1/4 socket, and use a ratchet. You can torque them out with a ratchet a lot easier than you can with a screw driver.

CHAR250R
06-30-2008, 07:12 AM
Post a pic so we can see what kinda trouble you are in. Seat belt bolts are always fun. The bolts in my Wranglers were torx head. Talk about a &%#*@ to remove.

KXRida
06-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by CHAR250R
Post a pic so we can see what kinda trouble you are in. Seat belt bolts are always fun. The bolts in my Wranglers were torx head. Talk about a &%#*@ to remove.

mine in my ranger were also torx, so where the seats. Used a socket type torx bit on a ratchet. Saves your hands and it's 1000x easier to torque them out with a ratchet than it is with a little screw driver handle.

416exfreak
06-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Ive decided on welding a nut onto the bolt and getting it out that way.

Im taking the seat out tomorrow and laying some peices of rubber mat that I have (1/2 inch thick) over my carpet.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.:macho

ZeroLogic
06-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Your going to come back tomorrow sayin my truck caught fire and needs a new one asap so I can ride over the Fourth!:blah:

Just kiddin bro best of luck to ya.

Kickstarts-suck
06-30-2008, 06:52 PM
I would take a picture of mine to show them for ya but my sub box is over them and its heavy as chit :p

Hope you get it out.

416exfreak
06-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Your going to come back tomorrow sayin my truck caught fire and needs a new one asap so I can ride over the Fourth!:blah:

Just kiddin bro best of luck to ya.

You hush or im telling your snookums!:grr:

Thanks man, I'll let you all know what happens.:)

ZeroLogic
06-30-2008, 08:20 PM
You hush or im telling your snookums!:grr:

Thanks man, I'll let you all know what happens.:)

:eek: You wouldn't!

416exfreak
06-30-2008, 08:26 PM
:eek: You wouldn't!

I would.:scary:

jesseweaver
06-30-2008, 08:29 PM
How about you tell me, and if it works I'll take it out of my sig.

well since its a ford, the best thing to do would be to pour gas and gunpowder around it and cover it then drop a match and run:blah:

ZeroLogic
06-30-2008, 08:55 PM
I would.:scary:

Then I ain't commin over tonight!:D

Kickstarts-suck
06-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
well since its a ford, the best thing to do would be to pour gas and gunpowder around it and cover it then drop a match and run:blah:

keep the sig forever.

:mad:

trx450r ryder
06-30-2008, 10:28 PM
if u have a welding machine i would recommend taking an old allen wrench and tacking it to the head of the bolt and turn it

quad59
07-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Its ghetto but this works... JB weld the next size smaller allen into the bolt no heat needed. Only thing that sucks is that stuff takes 24 hours to cure.

chris46250r
07-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Use tri5ron's advice and use the extractor kit. But before you do, get everything ready laying infront of you and drill a small hole through the bolt. Use a bit half the size of the bolt or even smaller. This will do two things, one it will relieve some pressure on the bolt and two it will put some heat in the bolt from drilling. Now hurry up and get the extractor on it before it cools down.

ZeroLogic
07-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by quad59
Its ghetto but this works... JB weld the next size smaller allen into the bolt no heat needed. Only thing that sucks is that stuff takes 24 hours to cure.

Or weld it.:p

416exfreak
07-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck

keep the sig forever.

:mad:

I am, and I'm keeping his mom's undergarments too.

Bidding starts at 3 cents... thats all I payed.:devil:

Kickstarts-suck
07-02-2008, 02:04 PM
I am, and I'm keeping his mom's undergarments too.

Bidding starts at 3 cents... thats all I payed.:devil:

if they will fit me ill bid 5 cents.

416exfreak
07-02-2008, 06:33 PM
They're a size XXXL and are lacey...

Id say theres 15 or 20 dollars in lace alone on these bad boys...:o

Kickstarts-suck
07-02-2008, 06:35 PM

LMAO!

416exfreak
07-02-2008, 07:28 PM
I've got a second pair that came from his sister here too...:chinese:

Bidding starts at 2 dollars.

ZeroLogic
07-02-2008, 07:41 PM

I'll give ya 35 if they still got her smell on there...

You ever get the bolt out?

416exfreak
07-02-2008, 08:00 PM
I'll give ya 35 if they still got her smell on there...

You ever get the bolt out?

They reek of starkist. Should be perfect for ya!;) :devil:

Yea, welding the nut on worked great, I hit it with the impact gun and they came out with some persistance.:)

trx400EXtreme
07-02-2008, 09:35 PM
ill take his sisters pair for 10 bucks. i need i new blanket.

DAB516
07-02-2008, 10:04 PM
The right way to get the bolt out would to get a screw extracotr set(not liek the on posted already) You drill a hole in the bolt then put the extractor in the hole and the extractor is lefthand threaded so when you tighten it into the bolt and unscrews it.

http://www.rd.com/images/tfhimport/2002/Sep02_Remove_Fasteners/20020901_Remove_Fasteners_page005img002.jpg

416exfreak
07-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
ill take his sisters pair for 10 bucks. i need i new blanket.

Ive got $10 going once...:eek:

wilkin250r
07-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by DAB516
The right way to get the bolt out would to get a screw extracotr set(not liek the on posted already) You drill a hole in the bolt then put the extractor in the hole and the extractor is lefthand threaded so when you tighten it into the bolt and unscrews it.

http://www.rd.com/images/tfhimport/2002/Sep02_Remove_Fasteners/20020901_Remove_Fasteners_page005img002.jpg

In my experience, those types of screw extractors are junk. They'll work for little stuff, or stuff that isn't on there too tight. But they won't work for the really stubborn and stuck ones.

I've broken several of those types of screw extractors.

Kickstarts-suck
07-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
In my experience, those types of screw extractors are junk. They'll work for little stuff, or stuff that isn't on there too tight. But they won't work for the really stubborn and stuck ones.

I've broken several of those types of screw extractors.

x2 I bought a set and I couldn't ever get it to bite good into the screw to get it out.