PDA

View Full Version : Raptor 250 vs. Honda 300ex?????

mor300ex
06-28-2008, 08:28 AM
I ride a 300ex now and looked at a raptor 250 yesterday, I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion about which one is most powerful/faster?????? Thanks

Pappy
06-28-2008, 08:34 AM
with equal riders, the edge to performance leans towards the raptor.

the engine in the rappy is pretty strong, and its chassis is light....to light:p

06-28-2008, 11:12 AM
IMO the 300ex has more potential

Pappy
06-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
IMO the 300ex has more potential

Not that I fully disagree with you, but would you care to explain? And I would like your first hand knowledge of both machines and the differences you have found...should be interesting.

Hondamaster5505
06-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Pappy had both quads, both fully tricked out. Out of anyone he can probably give the best comparison.

The raptor is a little weaker, as far as chassis go (just ask pappy, lol) but handles better and is a little quicker mod for mod.

mor300ex
06-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Maybe this will help, I'm a 44 year old girl, I weigh about 135lbs. & I'm NOT a "hot dog" rider, but like to keep up with the family when we go riding...and the 300 has always does just fine for me. I basically ride everything anyone else rides (within my own limitations & that's not meaning "bike limitations", that's MY own!) But you know, newer technology makes me think I should be upgrading & that's IF upgrading is the Raptor 250. Thoughts????:confused:

Pappy
06-28-2008, 02:33 PM
I dont see an advantage for your situation unless its purely based on want , not need.

bradley300
06-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
Pappy had both quads, both fully tricked out. Out of anyone he can probably give the best comparison.

The raptor is a little weaker, as far as chassis go (just ask pappy, lol) but handles better and is a little quicker mod for mod.

so have I, and I agree with pappy also. i'm sure you can make the 300ex faster, the the raptors suspension is plain better, its way lighter ( raptor is 313 dry, vs. 378 dry for a 300ex).personally i think its more comfy and it handles tight stuff better. any disadvantage lost with its motor can be more than made up for elsewhere

bradley300
06-28-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by mor300ex
Maybe this will help, I'm a 44 year old girl, I weigh about 135lbs. & I'm NOT a "hot dog" rider, but like to keep up with the family when we go riding...and the 300 has always does just fine for me. I basically ride everything anyone else rides (within my own limitations & that's not meaning "bike limitations", that's MY own!) But you know, newer technology makes me think I should be upgrading & that's IF upgrading is the Raptor 250. Thoughts????:confused:

techniclay, the raptors 2 valve motor is older tech than the 300ex's. other than that there really isnt any technology difference between the two. as far as the quad as a whole, it is an upgrade from a 300ex, but if you have a 300ex, its not worth selling jst to get a raptor unless youre just tired of your 300ex and want something simlilar in size and power

3 LED Renagade
06-28-2008, 06:48 PM
The Raptors are nice but, 300EX's have guts. My friend at the local quad shop had his son that races upgrade from a Blaster to a 300EX. He also rode a raptor 250........he said the EX has more beans and can be made to handle just as nice as the raptor.

quad2xtreme
06-28-2008, 07:17 PM
I have zero experience with the Raptor 250 but I do see quite a few totally tricked out 300exs at the track.

You can put 400ex a-arms on the 300ex along with 450r spindles, hubs, and brakes.

If you are looking for more performance though, I would just sell the 300ex and get a good used 400ex.

/Jon

honda300EXtreme
06-28-2008, 07:48 PM
id say stock for stock the yamaha has the edge, its light weight, better suspension and better geometry. now the 300 may have a slight edge performance wise as far as motor goes, but with a good rider on the rappy, it should have no problem pulling better lap times then a 300,

this i just my opinion of course,

hondarider101
06-28-2008, 07:53 PM
ok this is how i see it.

honda reliability and performance and customer survice- A++++++

yamaha- Sucks

i would never buy a yama they are about the biggest peice i have ever ridden on..

trx310R#24
06-28-2008, 08:01 PM
rapter

416exfreak
06-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Grammar and spelling have hit an all time low on this site lately.:ermm:

I wouldn't sell the 300ex just to buy a Raptor. 300ex's are pretty well bullet proof, and unless you just want a new quad the switch isn't needed.

If you have the cash burning a hole in your pocket then guy buy a Raptor, but if you dont then stick with your 300ex.

jesseweaver
06-28-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Grammar and spelling have hit an all time low on this site lately.:ermm:

\

lol i think she should get the hunda but the yameha is good too.

and you need to take that thing out of your sig:grr: its starting to piss me off. you better be careful what you type. im watching

trx310R#24
06-28-2008, 08:32 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by jesseweaver
so anyone else like dicks?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lmao

jesseweaver
06-28-2008, 08:38 PM
lol not funny at all. big typeing mistake

06-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Not that I fully disagree with you, but would you care to explain? And I would like your first hand knowledge of both machines and the differences you have found...should be interesting.

1st off the Raptor 250 is really small. Its like a blaster, even smaller than a 250ex. Now thats something major in itself is the size. Second the suspension travel number are the same for the rear and the 300ex front is a little less travel. Thats talking travel how the shocks perfrom is something else and I cant test those unless you gave me both quads. 300ex can be easily modded by accepting 400ex/250r a-arms and such making a very wide range of a-arms and then shocks that ar much bigger. Bigger motor with more power in the 300ex. Thats the reason I said in my opinion the 300ex has more potential because its a bigger quad with a bigger motor to start with and there are simple mod to make it wider and such.

mor300ex
06-28-2008, 11:05 PM
thank you everyone for your input, I really appreciate all the insight...I'd like to get the mods going on my 300ex because I really am happy with it. I've been contemplating the 400ex shocks & a-arms and the 400ex carb...doing the sway with my son's 400ex and getting him the 450 shocks and carb. Just some girl thoughts, LOL.

mor300ex
06-28-2008, 11:06 PM
AND add the 01 raptor 660 rear shock, I've read that will work on the 300ex!?!?!

honda300EXtreme
06-28-2008, 11:12 PM
^^ you are correct, very noticeable improvment over stock, plus that shock is rebuildable

Pappy
06-29-2008, 12:00 AM
1st off the Raptor 250 is really small. Its like a blaster, even smaller than a 250ex. Now thats something major in itself is the size. Second the suspension travel number are the same for the rear and the 300ex front is a little less travel. Thats talking travel how the shocks perfrom is something else and I cant test those unless you gave me both quads. 300ex can be easily modded by accepting 400ex/250r a-arms and such making a very wide range of a-arms and then shocks that ar much bigger. Bigger motor with more power in the 300ex. Thats the reason I said in my opinion the 300ex has more potential because its a bigger quad with a bigger motor to start with and there are simple mod to make it wider and such.

duncan already has 300cc kits out for the rappy

and laz is pulling mid to upper 20's with a pipe and cam

the suspension stock is night and day, i wont tell you which is better , ill wait till you get some seat time on both...lol

adding 400arms doesnt equal better...especially when its not done correctly. and the cost to do the conversion is not far off adding a set of arms to the rappy

the 01 rappy shock loves to blow bladders....waste of money and more cobbled together parts

if it werent for such a POS frame, we would still be running the yammy even though the honda out performs it in many areas...power isnt one of them...lol

Hondamaster5505
06-29-2008, 08:17 AM

Yes, it's small like the blaster, but looks are decieving. If you read about them, they look real small, but as soon as you throw a leg over it and start riding they feel bigger than they are.

416exfreak
06-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
lol i think she should get the hunda but the yameha is good too.

and you need to take that thing out of your sig:grr: its starting to piss me off. you better be careful what you type. im watching

Well, I think it's funny. You walked right into it. Just be thankful I didnt add to it like Nick would have.:devil:

3 LED Renagade
06-29-2008, 06:42 PM
duncan already has 300cc kits out for the rappy

and laz is pulling mid to upper 20's with a pipe and cam

the suspension stock is night and day, i wont tell you which is better , ill wait till you get some seat time on both...lol

adding 400arms doesnt equal better...especially when its not done correctly. and the cost to do the conversion is not far off adding a set of arms to the rappy

the 01 rappy shock loves to blow bladders....waste of money and more cobbled together parts

if it werent for such a POS frame, we would still be running the yammy even though the honda out performs it in many areas...power isnt one of them...lol

But the raptor still has the old school motor. You can only make so much power with old technology. Like many racers, money is not a issue so the conversion is acceptable. Untill I see a raptor 250 that will keep up with a stock Z400 like a heavily modded 300EX will, Honda still wins in my book.

416exfreak
06-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by 3 LED Renagade
But the raptor still has the old school motor. You can only make so much power with old technology. Like many racers, money is not a issue so the conversion is acceptable. Untill I see a raptor 250 that will keep up with a stock Z400 like a heavily modded 300EX will, Honda still wins in my book.

Give the aftermarket some time to really come out with parts to make the Raptor fast. The 300ex has such a big headstart on the Raptor.

Your comparing apples to oranges so to speak.:ermm:

Pappy
06-29-2008, 07:07 PM

I see raptors with just a pipe keep up and pass 450s every other weekend.

I see your point if your into drag racing, but in reality, a rider will make the difference. dont believe me? come here and run with one:p

416exfreak
06-29-2008, 07:26 PM

I see your point if your into drag racing, but in reality, a rider will make the difference. dont believe me? come here and run with one:p

Example, put Pappy's son on the Raptor and I'll ride a BUILT 300ex. Im sure Cody would still smoke me.:ermm:

3 LED Renagade
06-29-2008, 07:37 PM

I SAID A RAPTOR 250. Unless the rider on the 450 just shouldn't be racing or just plain sucks b@ll$, I highly dought a 250 will pass a 450.:rolleyes:

Pappy
06-29-2008, 07:41 PM
I SAID A RAPTOR 250. Unless the rider on the 450 just shouldn't be racing or just plain sucks b@ll$, I highly dought a 250 will pass a 450.:rolleyes:

I would suggest you getting out of the farm fields and head to a few races. I am sure Walker Fowler(finished 9th overall out of 300 riders at round 1 in 2007 on a 300ex) and a few others on the Raptors would love to pass you on the first lap of a race and smile as they blow past you:p Sounds like you either know jack spit, or have little real world racing expierence.

Or how about Joey Margeria who overalled at yadkinville last year on a blaster. Yeah, you go tell the 300+ riders he beat they suck:p

3 LED Renagade
06-29-2008, 07:45 PM
I've raced D23 B class and Open B, Nobody BLOWS by me.

Pappy
06-29-2008, 07:48 PM

****Caution: Thread contains full frontal stupidty****

Hondamaster5505
06-29-2008, 07:50 PM
haha

3 LED Renagade
06-29-2008, 07:55 PM
****Caution: Thread contains full frontal stupidty****

You must have a real thick head.........ask any of my family, and friends that watch me race/ride. They will all tell you the same thing. The best rider EVER will not BLOW by me on a 250 raptor or 300EX.

Pappy
06-29-2008, 08:01 PM
You must have a real thick head.........ask any of my family, and friends that watch me race/ride. They will all tell you the same thing. The best rider EVER will not BLOW by me on a 250 raptor or 300EX.

Wow.....Im not sure wether to kiss your *** or call you a moron. Ill go with moron:eek2:

416exfreak
06-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Yea. I guess having stock 450r front shocks and flipped rims is the new hot settup to run B class.

Moon, XXXRacer165, 3 LED Renegade... whoever you are, take a hint. None of us beleive that you race B class. We have yet to even see a picture of you riding your almighty race quad.

I wish I lived close to you. We would see if you really race B class.:rolleyes:

416exfreak
06-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Hey Pap, you think you could arrange for Dunk or someone of the like to take a 250 raptor or a 300ex and wax the kids arse?

He says that not even the BEST rider EVER can blow by him. I would love to see him outride Dunk or someone of his caliber.:macho

3 LED Renagade
06-29-2008, 08:08 PM
:rolleyes: Yepp.........just as I thought. It's a common mental problem to just see it your way. You just have to cope with it, and realize how it really is.

coryatver
06-29-2008, 08:09 PM

what good is a quad that has a pos frame?

Pappy
06-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
what good is a quad that has a pos frame?

The rappy

3wannabeled...find another thread to make yourself seem invincible, we all know your full of **** here:p

416exfreak
06-29-2008, 08:13 PM
:rolleyes: Yepp.........just as I thought. It's a common mental problem to just see it your way. You just have to cope with it, and realize how it really is.

I see it how it really is. Your riding basically the same quad I am. 440 with stock width a-arms, stock take-off shocks, stock axle....etc.

I can promise you, with that quad there is no way in hell your keeping up with B class riders.

How about you post of a picture of you racing?

EDIT: you also spelled 'renEgade' wrong. Its spelled using an E. not an A.:blah:

3 LED Renagade
06-29-2008, 08:20 PM
I see it how it really is. Your riding basically the same quad I am. 440 with stock width a-arms, stock take-off shocks, stock axle....etc.

I can promise you, with that quad there is no way in hell your keeping up with B class riders.

Thats because this isn't hell. It's real! And yes some people beat me in a race but still don't fly past me. I've seen racers run stock quads in D23 B class. Ask XtremeSkier on here, he should know how D23's b class is.

416exfreak
06-29-2008, 08:24 PM
Thats because this isn't hell. It's real! And yes some people beat me in a race but still don't fly past me. I've seen racers run stock quads in D23 B class. Ask XtremeSkier on here, he should know how D23's b class is.

Pride yourself on being a smartass? Im willing to bet that most everyone beats you in a race. Go cry to mommy and tell her the people on the internet are being mean to you.:eek2:

3 LED Renagade
06-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Nahhh I'm not going to cry or bug my mother.:rolleyes:

mor300ex
06-29-2008, 09:31 PM
maybe i need to make my 300 a 330 and race "B" class!!!:blah:

trxwannbe
06-30-2008, 06:34 AM
haha i'll do it on the pos blaster i just picked up and bet you i could beat this dumba**

Hondamaster5505
06-30-2008, 07:08 AM
I think this guy is the next slow... he's on his 3rd username and pappy along with everyone else hates him..

440. stock a-arms. stock axle. stock swinger. 450r take-off shocks. cut fenders. and lots of stickers.

Oh yeah, im sure that a pro rider on a rappy or 300 couldn't blow by him:rolleyes:

Pappy
06-30-2008, 07:14 AM
I dont hate anyone, I just loathe the stupidity. I know a certain amount of BS comes with the internet, but thinking your the bomb on a quad and cant get spanked when all you have raced at best is a few locals is a clear case of "im still on mommys tit and dont wanna leave" syndrome.

Ruck up chump, youre *** can be handed to you by many.

3 LED Renagade
06-30-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm sure that could very well be, but I still hold my own on the track, trail, wherever. Still.............Dustin Wimmer couldn't beat me on my track if he were on a 250 or 300.

Pappy
06-30-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm sure that could very well be, but I still hold my own on the track, trail, wherever. Still.............Dustin Wimmer couldn't beat me on my track if he were on a 250 or 300.

Funny, I dont see you dong to well in the D23 results:o

3 LED Renagade
06-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Your off a bit cause I got 3rd place once. Mostly seventh place out of a group of about 30 racers. I got plenty of non-points 1st place finishes. But even the guy's that beat me didn't just fly past me, they just pass me slowly over a jump. But I keep with them in the whoops.

Pappy
06-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Your off a bit cause I got 3rd place once. Mostly seventh place out of a group of about 30 racers. I got plenty of non-points 1st place finishes. But even the guy's that beat me didn't just fly past me, they just pass me slowly over a jump. But I keep with them in the whoops.

LOL....what a gimp. Wimmer could smoke you on a 90.

3 LED Renagade
06-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Enough sarcasm already. I'm dead flipin serious. That would be sweet if one of them racers could make it to MN and ride with me, get some photos & videos, then I could show all of you I'm not as bad as you think.

Pappy
06-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Enough sarcasm already. I'm dead flipin serious. That would be sweet if one of them racers could make it to MN and ride with me, get some photos & videos, then I could show all of you I'm not as bad as you think.

Why cant you go to a national? They have paid their dues, why shouldnt you? If your as fast as you claim, one race should be enough for you to garner a few choice sponships, then you wont have to worry with flipping your rims...LMFAO

Ruby Soho
06-30-2008, 12:13 PM
i don't see why you guys are wasting your time arguing with this kid. its completely obvious that hes full of ****

but it seems like your having some fun with it:p

bradley300
06-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by honda300EXtreme
^^ you are correct, very noticeable improvment over stock, plus that shock is rebuildable

until you blow up the bladder inside the rez because the stroke is too short on the shock for a 300ex. it happened to me as well as others. never heard of that happening to that shock on a raptor, only when you put it on a 300ex

honda300EXtreme
06-30-2008, 04:49 PM
oh, i never realized that it was such a common issue with this swap, when i ran the raptor shock the same thing happened to me, but i did not realize it was such a common occurance, thanks for bringing to my attention

lreeves
07-01-2008, 10:38 AM

Averaging 7th place in a local B class is equivalent to a national C class rider, which means you would be racing the morning class at GNCC event, which means you'd be racing against the schoolboy class. Last race, Walker Fowler finished 23rd out of 255 riders overall in which he was beaten by only 5 C class races.

Now, take into account that the Schoolboy class starts behind these C class races and that the last race was extremely dusty. All of this goes to show that even a 15 year old on a Raptor 250 would wax your ***. No need to bother Mr. Wimmer with such a simple task.

P.S. Get over yourself!

3 LED Renagade
07-01-2008, 12:33 PM
I know I could ride better than most C class riders and just get over it yourself. THERE IS NO WAY ANYBODY EVER, WILL BEAT ME ON A RAPTOR 250 OR 300EX.:blah:

416exfreak
07-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Pappy, please ban this tool?

I still want to see a picture of him actually riding his quad. I've never seen one picture of him riding his quad, much less racing his quad.:chinese:

hondarider101
07-01-2008, 07:30 PM
I think this guy is the next slow... he's on his 3rd username and pappy along with everyone else hates him..

440. stock a-arms. stock axle. stock swinger. 450r take-off shocks. cut fenders. and lots of stickers.

Oh yeah, im sure that a pro rider on a rappy or 300 couldn't blow by him:rolleyes:

most people on here dislike you because you talk so highly of ureself!

trx400EXtreme
07-01-2008, 07:37 PM
im with 416exfreak, has anyone on here actually seen this dude riding a quad?

hondarider101
07-01-2008, 07:52 PM
i think what he is saying makes sense.. i dont see how someone that has been riding since who knows when can be beaten by somone on a 250-300...ive been riding since i was 3 and i would bet that i couldent be beaten by the average rider on a 250

Ruby Soho
07-01-2008, 07:52 PM
ive seen some pictures floating around.. doesnt look like a b class mx rider to me though

bcg717
07-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by hondarider101
i would bet that i couldent be beaten by the average rider on a 250

Yea but you said average rider. He is claiming the BEST rider. Huge Difference.

hondarider101
07-01-2008, 08:11 PM
i know i was just stating my opinon.lol

krt400ex
07-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Well, I think it's funny. You walked right into it. Just be thankful I didnt add to it like Nick would have.:devil:

im curious as what thread this all took place in. i would like to read it...sounds interesting lol.

416exfreak
07-02-2008, 09:09 PM
here ya go buddy!:devil:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=355477

krt400ex
07-02-2008, 09:15 PM

Yepp.........just as I thought. It's a common mental problem to just see it your way. You just have to cope with it, and realize how it really is.

Nahhh I'm not going to cry or bug my mother.

I know I could ride better than most C class riders and just get over it yourself. THERE IS NO WAY ANYBODY EVER, WILL BEAT ME ON A RAPTOR 250 OR 300EX.

sounds like you just graduated from kindergarten

krt400ex
07-02-2008, 09:15 PM
here ya go buddy!:devil:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=355477

lmao...now im really digging your sig lol.

elementryder
07-02-2008, 09:40 PM

I know I could ride better than most C class riders and just get over it yourself. THERE IS NO WAY ANYBODY EVER, WILL BEAT ME ON A RAPTOR 250 OR 300EX.

uhm i race a 300ex in the GNCs and run better lap times than over half the national B-classes....ill race you any day

yes rider has lots to do with it when i go to the local d6, Pamx cernics series races we time b-class lap times and mine,guess what? an adverage of 3seconds faster then the guys who are winning b-class sometimes a lil more and sometimes they are faster depends on what type of track and what riders are there that day

im not trying to be cocky here or nothing just mabey give this guy some perspective

in other words dont EVER say that a KID on a 300 wont beat you...cause belive it or not,theres plenty

and as far as the raptor 250 with a dual valve head i cant see it making more power than the 300exs,Tom Carlson from TC Racing has the 300 nailed down and know one builds a better 300 motor than him, i have seen one raptor 250 built by TC at the races but never see it in the holeshot or the rest of the race so idk

3 LED Renagade
07-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by elementryder
uhm i race a 300ex in the GNCs and run better lap times than over half the national B-classes....ill race you any day.

Great! Where do we meet for the race? I bet $500 I'm not going to lose.

Pappy
07-03-2008, 09:45 AM

get to a national event, i will add $500 to the pot and arrange the race. ofcourse we know you dont race much, arent that good and dont have the cash to back up your internet mouth, basically a poser with a keyboard.

krt400ex
07-03-2008, 11:14 AM
get to a national event, i will add $500 to the pot and arrange the race. ofcourse we know you dont race much, arent that good and dont have the cash to back up your internet mouth, basically a poser with a keyboard.

id throw a little $$$ into the mix

elementryder
07-03-2008, 11:22 AM

give me another 5 weeks for my ankle to heal and ill race you even after not riding for 2months!

Hondamaster5505
07-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by elementryder
give me another 5 weeks for my ankle to heal and ill race you even after not riding for 2months!

omg, your sig is classic!

elementryder
07-03-2008, 12:35 PM
omg, your sig is classic!

haha urs isnt to be either