PDA

View Full Version : removing hub studs from rear hub.....

DareDevilQracer
12-02-2002, 03:25 PM
I have a 400ex and need some new studs on my rear left hub. The old ones are stripped. How do I get them out? Can i tap them out with a hammer? Also is it easy instaling the new ones? Thanks.

Extremeracer167
12-02-2002, 03:44 PM
u would prob. have to have them pressed out. I know they are pressed in from honda. ide just look for a used set on Ebay. They usually go for around $50

MEL
12-02-2002, 05:43 PM
what year quad is it? mine went this year and honda warrentied it. its worth a try.

DareDevilQracer
12-02-2002, 07:22 PM
What is pressing them? I have no idea what that is. Its a 01 400ex and my lug nuts were too loose and the holes in the rim were worked by the studs and the holes are now bigger than the lug nuts. I ordered a new rim, 4 studs and new lug nuts. The studs were worn down by the loose rim. I tried tapping them with a hammer but that didnt work. Im gona use a sledge hammer if it comes down to it.

12-03-2002, 06:45 AM
Knock em out with a hammer,,I've done it several times..then order some new 250R studs from service honda,,cheapest way around your whole problem.

Braff1
12-03-2002, 07:04 AM
My 400 did the same thing on the same wheel. (I wonder if this might be a factory prob??) I used a pair of vice grips on the back to get the wheel off. Then I screwed the nut on the stud just so the nut was just above the stud then used the big hammer to knock the stud out (3 of the 4 were loose). I cleaned the stud and hole and applied good ole JB weld to the ridges of the stud and tapped them back in and let them sit for a couple of hours. Since then I have not had a problem with them.

Dan

DareDevilQracer
12-03-2002, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Also one of the lug nuts is stuck on and the stud is stripped. It will turn but wont come out. I have tried a big pair of pliars but no luck. Any deas?

Braff1
12-04-2002, 06:00 AM
use the vice grips and lock on to the back of the stud running parallel to the axle. then use a pair of channel locks to hold the vice grips. You will prob. have to get someone else to turn the lug wrench for you.