PDA

View Full Version : 2009 400ex

loves2spooge
06-27-2008, 01:55 PM
what do u guys think they will do with the 09's?

i know alot of people on here had their panties in a bundle over the way they changed it for 08.

BlasterEaten250
06-27-2008, 02:31 PM
99.9% chance it will just have new graphics and maybe a new color. I wouldn't hold you breath for anything else.

loves2spooge
06-27-2008, 08:50 PM
i think it would be cool if they put the rear 08 fenders with the front plastics of the 05-07. somehow make it work. anyone think that would be cool?

i dont thing the 07s rear fenders are sporty enough.

01exrider 281
06-27-2008, 08:54 PM
better front shocks. i like the older style with the two round head ligths. personally

rcatvrider
06-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by loves2spooge
i think it would be cool if they put the rear 08 fenders with the front plastics of the 05-07. somehow make it work. anyone think that would be cool?

i dont thing the 07s rear fenders are sporty enough.
Agree, I love the new rear fenders but hate the nose on the 08's. I like both older style lights, just not the 08's.

powermadd400ex
06-27-2008, 09:08 PM
i wish they would jus put the 450r rear fenders on the 400 and jus leave the apperance ALONE!
i wish they would start on the engine such as...liquid cool or fan cool the engine, wouldnt mind efi. upgradeing stock suspension(450r shocks for example).
maybe make the quad at WEE bit wider, about 450r lenght.
the list is freakin endless. honda as sorta neglected the 400ex. they make some new fenders and mount em on there and thats all they do.

ATVMX905
06-27-2008, 11:55 PM
its a honda so u know ur gonna get bold new graphics.:o

gcart2
06-28-2008, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
i wish they would jus put the 450r rear fenders on the 400 and jus leave the apperance ALONE!
i wish they would start on the engine such as...liquid cool or fan cool the engine, wouldnt mind efi. upgradeing stock suspension(450r shocks for example).
maybe make the quad at WEE bit wider, about 450r lenght.
the list is freakin endless. honda as sorta neglected the 400ex. they make some new fenders and mount em on there and thats all they do.

not gonna happen. the 400 air cooled has proven its self time and again.

Hondamaster5505
06-28-2008, 06:27 AM
I can't believe someone made this thread:o

It's obvious they're going to change nothing than "bold new graphics"

Honda really sucks like that. God forbid they make something to compete with the EFI gas-shock liquid cooled Z400. Nahh, instead lets just make it look pretty and hope to attract buyers that way.

Im losing a lot of repect for Honda slowly..:ermm: It seems as if they spend more time on dirtbikes and cars and could care less about quads..

just my opinion

Yippie-Ki-Yay
06-28-2008, 07:37 AM
The only thing they will do is maybe make some color changes( red fenders, black "wings" ect..) and make some new "race inspired" graphics that are slowly looking less and less like a wing...

Ruby Soho
06-28-2008, 08:10 AM
why should they change it? it just got a decent change for 08.

there stone age 400ex still is neck and neck competitive with the z400 which is "a lot more advanced". the 400ex is bulletproof, why fix it if it aint broke?

hornetgod13
06-28-2008, 09:15 AM
I'd bet my left nut that all they change is BNG (Bold New Graphics). They only have 1 year of release on the new design. Why would they make changes so soon.

I've read in a couple ATV magazines that Honda is rumored to be discontinueing production of the 400EX with in the next couple years.

powermadd400ex
06-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by gcart2
not gonna happen. the 400 air cooled has proven its self time and again.

i kno it wont happen. but it would be nice.

TheNewn
06-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Is the grab bar removable yet? I know that was a dumbass move on their part...

They won't change a damn thing...

whitebros400
06-28-2008, 12:19 PM
no the grab bar isnt removable and if they do discontinue the 400 that will be a very bad idea

06-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by whitebros400
no the grab bar isnt removable and if they do discontinue the 400 that will be a very bad idea

i agree discontinuing it would be stupid on Honda's part

SPDSNYPR
06-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
i agree discontinuing it would be stupid on Honda's part

+1

Also, since the 400 received a decent overhaul last year, it wouldn't make sense financially for them to make any major changes. They have to have time to recoup their investment from a production standpoint, and making major changes would be akin to just throwing money away. Honda is in this game to make money - just like everyone else. And things like shocks they consider to be throw-away parts since most recreational riders leave them alone, and most serious riders replace theirs anyway.

I'd be surprised to see any changes at all really. And I truly hope they keep the 400 in production.

TheNewn
06-28-2008, 02:13 PM
A Decent overhaul? they changed the plastics...

leasureryan
06-28-2008, 02:42 PM
I work at a dealership......and I have seen some crazy purpleish blue 400ex's (rumors and photos)......for what reason....IDK.....kinda gay if ya ask me. Blue is sooooo far from being a honda color

JBacon
06-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Have yall ever really noticed how honda is usually the last one to come out with something? Honda waits for the other big 3 companies to try their upgrades. ex. efi, radiator, etc. If theres works, Honda comes back and will eventually make it better. You'll see. The 400ex will be more pimp with stuff in a few years. Just wait. Bash me all you want. But thats the stuff I look at. ;)

SPDSNYPR
06-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by TheNewn
A Decent overhaul? they changed the plastics...

Yes - and a few other items. But remember, plastic moulds are hundreds of thousands of dollars. They have to make a certain number and sell them before they recoup the dollars they have invested in them. Changing the color of the plastic pellets they put into the moulds costs almost nothing. That's why they get a "bold new color" every now and then.

By decent overhaul, I meant they changed some details to try to make it a bit more friendly for the average rider. No, they didn't change their frame, power plant, etc. But those are what gives this machine it rep as bullet proof.

To me - and I think many others - reliability is more important than ulitmate performance. If I wanted more 450 ish performance, I guess I would have gotten a 450 - and at a 450 price.

TheNewn
06-28-2008, 09:44 PM
I'm not sure about everyone else, but i would much rather have the same old plastics and a REMOVABLE grab bar. And adjustable suspension.

Unless its BUTT ugly, the plastics dont really affect my decision.

Why did they feel the need to change how it looks, when they had more important things that needed changing?

Also, for another poster, Honda is not always last. They are the first to come out with a 'Racing' 4 stroke 150 dirt bike. Their crf150r is the first of its kind, and just wait, every manufacturer will have one soon enough.

They were the second company to have a 450 quad, RIGHT after yamaha.

They introduced a 400EX when the choices were Banshee or...a warrior...

Honda has been great up until the past couple years. in my opinion.

JBacon
06-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Im not talking about actual quads or dirtbikes coming out first. ***Upgrades......

416HondaEX
06-28-2008, 10:03 PM
The looks now are pretty nice, they are leaning more towards the look of the 450, like someone else said, why fix something that isn't broke? EFI is nice, but no need to put in the time and money of R&D if you have something that works great.

Like someone had mentioned them discontinuing the 400 I can see them doin this as well. Everyone seems to be focusing on 450 and 250's now.

As for the 450's, i'm not sure why they don't put the bike motor in the atv as well as the 250f motor in the 250 quads. Make them like the motorcross and lites and race that way. Suzuki and KTM are the ones leading the industry in my opinion. Why not by a $11k KTM that already has everything added on it and maybe just do some minor things to it instead of buying a $7k quad and sinking another $15k in it just to get it where the KTM and Suzuki is.

I love my 400ex, and every since adding the few more parts to it I will always keep it. I'm looking to buy a 450 and Suzuki and KTM is just too good to pass up. I love Honda to death, (hints why i drive a new Honda Civic SI, 02 Honda Civic Turbo'd, Honda Ridgeline and my 400EX) lol. But just like someone else said it seems like Honda just isn't looking in the right direction with the ATV's. All the factory sponsorship from other companies makes it hard for riders who choose Honda to stay with Honda.

hypersnyper6947
06-29-2008, 02:32 AM
whatever they do they do it right. Why do you think you see more old hondas than anything else. I always see old 250rs atv's and atc's, also 350x 200x. Honda always built to last..... that being said and efi would be nice... I mean come on if the raptor 350 has one

Yippie-Ki-Yay
06-29-2008, 07:26 AM
Did anyone else catch a look at suzukis 2009 z400? Looks sharp in my opinion, but ill take hondas reliability over it any day. Im going to be having my next atv for many years(had a 250 for 7) and im gonna need it to perform close to what it did new after many years.

rcatvrider
06-29-2008, 08:26 AM
I like the new suzukis but I'm so used to seeing ltr450 plastics with 18" tires that it looks weird with 20's. It's not as wide either.

Ruby Soho
06-29-2008, 08:52 AM
funny thing is, honda may haven't come up with anything lately

but they're first high performance quad, the 250r, just got knocked off the podium for the top quad out there, after 20 something years. and even still there still competitive, just 450 production quads are the popular thing now.

honda knows what their doing, and they know how to do it. whatever they end up doing is probably going to be a good move

loves2spooge
06-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Yippie-Ki-Yay
Did anyone else catch a look at suzukis 2009 z400? Looks sharp in my opinion, but ill take hondas reliability over it any day. Im going to be having my next atv for many years(had a 250 for 7) and im gonna need it to perform close to what it did new after many years.

wow, it seems like they did exactly what honda did. they made their 400 inspired by their racing 450