PDA

View Full Version : About to buy ltr... need quick questions answered

warriorxcr1
06-27-2008, 12:46 AM
hey guys... sorry for posting this but im a honda guy and really dont know much about this quad. i have done a little bit of research and have come across some issues.

about to buy an 06 ltr at a decent price that fits in my budget....waiting on the vin number to check if it was a recalled model.

my question is....are the models made after this recall safe enough to the point that i should invest in this quad?

it is extremely clean and most likely has not seen any real hardcore riding due to the owner being a first time atv rider.

I am a larger guy at 6 foot 215 pounds and i ride pretty hard so i do not want my frame to give out on me the first few rides.

My other question is tranny wine... I have heard a few things but have not heard of tranny failure. Are the 06s safe besides the noise you get from the case?

Fill me in on all of what i should be aware of if possible. Thanks for your info and input. I would really like to make the switch to suzuki!

-ant

hondaracer31
06-27-2008, 06:10 AM
I have an '06, wasn't part of the recall, I am 260 lb. and love to air it out and have not had any problems with mine. I did gusset the frame just to be safe though.

I switched to synthetic oil after the 2nd oil change and added an extra 200ml which stopped the tranny whine.

All of the LTR's can benefit from the shift pin relocator, you can get the kit for around $80. I don't have it done on mine,yet. But I don't make it a habit of standing on the shifter either.lol

I switched from a $20,000 JB Racing/ PEP ZPS 440 stroker, 400EX. Besides the gusset kit all I've done was add a Yoshi full pipe, Cherry Bomb, airbox lid removed and had the shocks revalved. The shocks on the '06s were stiff, which is fine for us bigger guys. I was just trying to get a little closer to the PEP ZPS ride.

The LTR is a great quad. You won't be going wrong!
I love mine!:devil:

450Rchaser
06-27-2008, 08:08 AM
I got an 06. Ive never heard the tranny whine once. Although with the Dasa pipe you cant here much anyway.

quad59
07-01-2008, 07:19 AM
I had an 06 ltr that my wife and I shared for last part of 06 and all of 07 now we run an 08. It had 90 motos on it and when I traded it in it still pulled strong.
A couple of tips for ltrs

Always do a 2 quart oil change (no trans wine)
Shift pin relocator is a must
Stock air filter sucks get a prodesign or some other clamp on
change your swirl tank filter twice a year
dont wire your kill switch to the coil put in on the key switch.

Oh yea if the frame hasnt been fixed for the recall it should be free for you to do so. It wasnt that big of a deal just finished a weld. the computer in the factory stopped to soon.