PDA

View Full Version : Trail Tech vapor computer

tri5ron
06-26-2008, 10:37 PM
I've read some of the archives, and have done a LITTLE bit of homework/research on these.

I have decided that the Trail tech Vapor computer is what I will spend my $100 gift card on, that my lovely wife gave to me as part of my Fathers Day present.

My question is:
1- do I need to order/buy a specific model/part number for my '03 400EX ? or does it require a specific "adapter kit" to apply to my bike?

2- what about the optional billet dash mount? Is it bike/year specific?

3- is it possible to get a dash mount that will accomidate BOTH the computer, AND the accesory headlight system?

BTW- I DO already realize that I will need to kick in a little extra cash for the billet mount and/or lights...

Aahh, the symtoms of the A.A.D.S. disease are obviously flaring up again....
I better get myself over to a group support meeting,...
Oh wait!,... that's where I already am,... here on this forum!
:D :D :D

Phillburt57
06-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Ok. 1. All years are the same. 2. they do make a clamp adaptor for the bars but I don't think it comes with the headlight adapter too, they are based on your bar size whether you have 1 1/8 or 7/8 size bars. Here's the website http://www.trailtech.net/

brian76708
06-27-2008, 04:43 PM
id almost get the endurance because the head tempeture is very inacurate if you ask me it showed my temp at 500 degrees because the wire goes right in between the headers other then that ive enjoyed it but the speed and rpms seem to be correct. also make sure you electrical tape your wires not zip tie them the zip ties will cut through them.

omeeomy
02-07-2011, 08:56 AM
i just got a trail tech vapor
any ideas on how to run the speed sensor and temp sensor
please let me know and pics would help thanks

greencow
02-07-2011, 03:57 PM
I tried to get my friends trail tech to work on his trx450 for the longest time b4 i just gave up. The directions are not that good IMO

brian76708
02-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by greencow
I tried to get my friends trail tech to work on his trx450 for the longest time b4 i just gave up. The directions are not that good IMO

i didn't have a problem installing it on my 400ex. but i suggest not running the head temp sensor it is pointless (not even accurate) and i think it was the reason why my spark plug blew out at the dunes.

426kidz
02-07-2011, 10:38 PM
ey, here is my suggestion skip getting the heat guage and get the Vector...thats the one I would go with due to it being really hard to get an acurate reading on the temp when we ride in so many different eliments I have a feeling it would be off. Ebay baby.....right at your range.:D :D Same thing but only for speed!!!

I have a feeling the link wont work so just copy and paste this in ebay

-- TRAIL TECH VECTOR COMPUTER KIT FOR HONDA TRX-400 EX --

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRAIL-TECH-VECTOR-COMPUTER-KIT-HONDA-TRX-400-EX-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3c9ef7256eQQitemZ26036 5034862QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

;) ;)

omeeomy
02-08-2011, 04:39 AM
i bought mine off ebay
i was wondering if any good ideas on running the speed sensor
pics they gave me are not very clear on how to run it
and the temp sensor im just gonna hook it up on the head some were

Stickman400
12-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Since this is the newest thread I found on these things in the search I'll put this here. Does anyone that has one of these have an aftermarket stem with anti-vibe clamps? Can you get one of their billet mounts to work with it? From what I see you can only use their clamps with the stock stem. I ordered a Vapor and want to have something alittle more solid than the plastic clamps they provide to mount it. I called them and asked this and the best they could come up with is using one of their dirt bike clamps that uses 2 self tapping screws and find a place to drill the holes, which I'm not doing.

JOHNDOE83
12-06-2012, 12:47 PM
I wasnt impressed with the trail tech, the magnet bolt came loose once in awhile, the MPH were only accurate at certain speeds, kinda frustrating sometimes.

I used it for 2 months then ditched it.

Stickman400
12-06-2012, 09:50 PM
I bought one of the old Endurance computers when they first came out and it was the only one they sold and it took a chite about 4 or 5 months after I bought it because of the cold. The screen would slow way down and then freeze up and not display anything after about 15 or 20 minutes in 20° or colder weather. So I took it off and decided to wait for a few years before I wasted my money on another one. Normally I wouldn't even consider one because I don't like extra crap on my handlebars but since I'm slowly making my 400 the dedicated trail/XC quad I figured I'd put one of these on so I can keep track of the mileage and hours on the oil and everything. It'd be nice to know the time without having to stop and pull off my gloves and pull my phone out of my pocket too.

Muzzgit
12-07-2012, 08:14 AM
I had a Trailtech Endurance on my 400 EX and I now have the Vector with remote switch my raptor and here's why I won't have another one. I'm taking this one off the raptor and fitting an ICO.

1. When you are riding, trying to take your eyes off the track to focus on the trail tech is impossible and is down right dangerous. The digits are not big enough.

2. I gave up trying to get it the miles (or KPH in my case) accurate.

3. The wire for the power is so flimsy it cuts too easily and wasn't long enough to reach the battery, even though the instructions said it would reach.

These things are supposedly used for enduros but they are not a good option.

Stickman400
12-15-2012, 09:43 PM
Well I got it on and all hooked up. Works pretty good, tach was pretty responsive but I noticed it got slightly faster than what it was before after I went back and wrapped it around the coil wire 8 times and wrapped it really tight with electrical tape. I also couldn't get the engine temp. sensor on the plug so I ended up putting it underneath the acorn nut that is in front of the plug. The only complaint I have so far is the power wire and tach wire are REALLY cheap and when you try to peel the positive and negative apart you strip the insulation off one of the 2 wires. So then you have a piece of bare wire you have to tape off or it'll short out on something.

Does anyone have an idea on what the normal operating temp. for the head would be? Like right at the plug where that acorn nut is? I set the warning light for 250 but it reached that in 2 or 3 minutes of just idling.

Stickman400
12-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Well I found this (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=287992&highlight=Trail+Tech+Vapor). Didn't have too many helpful comments but it looks like 300 is a normal temp. if not 325 if it's really hot outside.

Stickman400
12-17-2012, 12:14 AM
Anyone wanna give me a ballpark estimate? Or take yours riding on a normal trip and take a temp. gun with you and take readings of the head? I would do it myself but I only get 2 days off a week and the weather is getting cold and wet here in the midwest and that doesn't make for very fun riding.

JOHNDOE83
12-17-2012, 06:18 AM
my 440 hasnt ever gone over 300 degrees on the cylinder, usually 260-275 thats using the infra red temp gun after a 30 min speed run in the hot humid florida climate.

The exhaust will get 500-900 degrees at the header.

It idles around 180-190 degrees at the cylinder.

Stickman400
12-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Well mine got up to 250+ within the first 3 minutes of idling in the shop. So I'm assuming it's around 274-300 is normal, for mine, but idk. It's jetted insanely rich but still doesn't have a stutter in top so I just left it be. Maybe that extra fuel is making it hotter than normal?

Blodg
12-18-2012, 06:34 AM
Rich jetting would only make the cylinder run cooler, not hotter. If it doesn't sputter at WOT at all then I would say it is not jetted insanely rich.

It looked like Johndoe was mentioning cylinder temps and not head temps. I will measure my cylinder and head temps with my infrared gun when I ride again. It probably won't be until after Xmas and only if it is warm enough to ride here in Ohio.

Stickman400
12-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Well I was running a 220 main in a 407 11:1 compression with a stage 2 cam and 450R carb. Everyone on here is running a 165 or 175 with that similar setup. That's why I think it's insanely high. Anyway thanks for taking temps. for me, the sensor is dead on to what it reads also because I used my temp. sensor to get a reading on it.