PDA

View Full Version : lean or rich?

sparksmakefire
06-26-2008, 08:55 PM
i picked up a new 07 450er yesterday and if i hit the throttle really fast it will die and just doesnt seem like it has the power the other 450r's i have rode. It barely wheelies in 2nd gear? Am i too rich? or too lean?

maticus
06-27-2008, 07:45 AM
what mods you got and has it been jetted already?

sparksmakefire
06-27-2008, 08:31 AM
its completely bone stock at the moment. nothing at all has been done to it. my HRC kit wont be here for a week. its running rich REALLY rich. i can take the airbox lid off then its about as lean as it was rich with it on.

8my_Cash
06-27-2008, 10:01 AM
I have the same problem same year 450 as well and i feel your pain. I was doing a FMX demo on my bone stock 450 and I hit the ramp and it cut out on me with a blurp of the throttle and i landed on the back side of the lander.

It is running lean and what you need to do is change the pilot jet or leak jet so it does not cut out on you. The HRC kit will most likely fix this problem.

sparksmakefire
06-27-2008, 02:30 PM
mine was running too rich they knocked it down 2 jet sizes. it really pissed me off this morning i went to hit a small double i hit the throttle and it died and i about went over the bars. its still got a hesitation when i hit the throttle really hard. im thinking i need to lean it out one more jet. the mechanic said they come with a 120 and he went to 115. but its still got a bog and its really pissing me off. makes me wish i had got the kawasaki instead :mad:

d3ktrix
06-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Changing the main jet won't fix the bog when you snap the throttle.

A #55 leak jet will fix the bog.

And when you put the HRC kit in you will need a 45 pilot. (42 is stock) Or else the bog will return again once you remove the air box lid and baffle.

Along with a main jet change of course (the HRC kit comes with one to get you started)

warr72
06-28-2008, 07:40 PM
You need to put a quickshot on it. I tried the HRC kit, bigger trickle jet and it helped the bog but the R&D Quickshot solved it completely and it is adjustable. ;)

sparksmakefire
06-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by warr72
You need to put a quickshot on it. I tried the HRC kit, bigger trickle jet and it helped the bog but the R&D Quickshot solved it completely and it is adjustable. ;)

would that be a new accelerator pump?

sparksmakefire
06-28-2008, 10:18 PM
the shop told me today when i was there that i should move the needle one spot and if that doesnt help to get an aftermarket accelerator pump. im like wtf its a brand new quad it shouldnt need aftermarket parts already

warr72
06-29-2008, 09:27 AM
I went through the same crap. Seems as they would solve this problem at the factory. Moving the needle will help a little again but you need that aftermarket accelerator pump or Quickshot. The R&D accelerator pumps are 89.99 on ebay now. They are completely adjustable and once dialed in a big difference. The factory accelerator pumps are not big enough and are junk. I was mad as all could be with the factory set up, but now with a little patience, some time and a few dollars she will haul.

sparksmakefire
06-29-2008, 09:33 AM
so a brand new quad i have to fix hondas bullcrap errors. :mad: i should have got the kawasaki. well how do i get the carb out to move the needle?

warr72
06-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Believe me Honda's problems are minimal compared to the kowsucker. A guy I know got the cashkowi and he is having major frame issues. You need a shop manual for your quad. Removal of the carb is pretty straight forward. I believe there are already threads about moving the needle and working on the carb just do a search in the 450r forum. You need the accelorator pump.

sparksmakefire
06-29-2008, 10:10 AM
ok i figured out how to get to the carb. well i pulled the needle out... and there isnt any adjustments that can be made on it??? or is there more than one needle in these carbs?

warr72
06-29-2008, 11:49 AM
No adjustments? Not an HRC needle then. That should have came with your HRC kit.

warr72
06-29-2008, 11:55 AM
This problem is common in the YFZ's as well with FCR carb. Makes you mad I know try to be patient. Once dialed in you will be happy. ;)

sparksmakefire
06-29-2008, 12:19 PM
the hrc kit isnt here yet its on its way. they had to order it. it runs a lot better now. therre was a piece of fuzz or dirt stuck in the slide that i took out and now it wheelies just fine in 2nd and barely in third its still got a bog but its getting better.

warr72
06-29-2008, 12:31 PM
The HRC will really wake her up. But for even more IF you need it try the quickshot.;)

sparksmakefire
06-29-2008, 04:11 PM
its got to be the jetting all there is to it. i took it to the dunes a little bit ago and it was running like a champ. 3rd gear wheelies in sand with stock tires. get it home and it runs like **** again :mad: