PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new/used truck, diesel help

HondaEXrider22
06-26-2008, 03:03 PM
OK, My dad is looking to get rid of our 99 F250 SD for something newer. I told him diesel is the way to go. I know how expensive it is and to fill one up can be 100 dollars or more.

How can i convince him diesle is the way to go? Or is it not? I know they can get better mpgs and can last much longer than a gas engine, meaning you may pay more now but in the long run you are saving, correct?

BTW: How are diesels for plowing?

rollie
06-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Have him drive one, let him know the facts, 10,000 mile oil changes, can tow wayyy more, last for hundreds of thousands of miles longer, much faster, more resale value, You can put stacks on it!

It costs me 140 to fill up my gas truck, so diesel isnt that much more, as long as you dont drive like an ***, they even make programmers just for better fuel ecomony.

i don't own a diesel but man do i want a duramax!!!

Ohh!!! and if gas/fuel prices do go through the roof atleast you have somewhat of a way out by possibly converting it to run on veggie oil, gas engine the only way to save money is to drive less

Giz400ex
06-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by HondaEXrider22
OK, My dad is looking to get rid of our 99 F250 SD for something newer. I told him diesel is the way to go. I know how expensive it is and to fill one up can be 100 dollars or more.

How can i convince him diesle is the way to go? Or is it not? I know they can get better mpgs and can last much longer than a gas engine, meaning you may pay more now but in the long run you are saving, correct?

BTW: How are diesels for plowing? The only good thing about plowing is the difference in weight (gas vs diesel). Because of the weight difference the diesel is better plowing but a gas job will do fine. If he's looking to use it for just plowing, I wouldn't bother with diesel. What else does he do with his truck??

TCracin440ex
06-26-2008, 03:59 PM
my mom just bought my stepdad an 03 dmax and its got the edge attitude with the juice box and man i turned that bioch up on level 5 the other night...that ***** flys man....i loved it....i want a diesel now too...i found a whole new level of respect for a diesel truck...esp. the dmax

JRP
06-26-2008, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
my mom just bought my stepdad an 03 dmax and its got the edge attitude with the juice box and man i turned that bioch up on level 5 the other night...that ***** flys man....i loved it....i want a diesel now too...i found a whole new level of respect for a diesel truck...esp. the dmax

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/GMC.jpg
we have the edge on ours with an intake and i looove burnin the rubber, haha. Only done it once but it was crazy!

Ferris
06-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Why buy a diesel. Mines got 310K miles on it. Put just about anything you want and the trailer and it won't slow it down. You can set the cruise at 80mph through the mountains and it will stay at 80mph. It also gets almost 23mpg without the trailer.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g32/Ferris8d/Picture089.jpg

sunco
06-26-2008, 06:44 PM
I GOT 2000 CREW SRW 7.3 105k. $160 ON A TANK.HEY GET WHAT U CAN AFFORD. I COULD HAVE ALL KINDS OF **** ON MY TRUCK BUT INSTEAD I CHOOSE TO FEED THE KIDS, OWN A HOUSE .................... THE LIST IS ENDLESS.

SO WHATEVER U GOT - TAKE TIME TO RIDE:cool:

TCracin440ex
06-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by JRP
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/GMC.jpg
we have the edge on ours with an intake and i looove burnin the rubber, haha. Only done it once but it was crazy!

we need an intake and exahust for ours black smoke kicks ***

jherbie28
06-26-2008, 07:07 PM
i have an 03 F250 SD with a 7.3 and its a beast. 189,000miles k&n full intake. 4" exhaust and edge evolution programmer. i pull a 30' toy hauler that weights 9k and the programmer is doing just what it said it would do:D 25% better fuel mileage. the diesel will cost more in maintenance, they do go longer between oil changes, and have a better reputation for longer life out of the motor. good luck man, they are a blast and dont cost much to make go fast.

mittman
06-26-2008, 07:31 PM
the only way to convince him is to say pretty much what all the other people i have a 96 dodge 2500 its not a power plant but it gets the job done the most i have hauled with it was 6,000lb didnt have any trouble the only time i really noticed that i was pulling a trailer is when i unloaded and i still had the trailer brakes set to 8 haha never had so many people look at me like that before

JRP
06-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
we need an intake and exahust for ours black smoke kicks ***

oh ya, forgot to mention it has a 5in exhaust too. Not to sure the make(was on when we bought it) but it sounds sick!