PDA

View Full Version : Rear swingarm the 4 bolts

shawndog360
06-25-2008, 11:37 PM
someone wanna help me get these 4 bolts out on the bottom of the swingarm that loosen up the the axle it is in the picture below is wat i am talking about its not the swingarm pivot bolt but its the 4 on the bottom by the axle i got 2 of them out but i cant get the other 2 out we cut them down to where it is flat with the swingarm and i dont know anything i can do to get them out without messing my swingarm up i am changing my bearings in the carrier so they need to come out so ideas is very very helpfull thanks guys....

DuwBra
06-26-2008, 12:41 AM
how do you mean they wont come out? like you cant turn them or they just turn and wont come out or what?

DuwBra
06-26-2008, 12:56 AM
how do you mean they wont come out? like you cant turn them or they just turn and wont come out or what?

Wildbrain
06-26-2008, 02:00 AM
If you cut the heads off the bolts you just screwed yourself.
The bottom 1/2 of the swingarm is the part where it is tapped.
If you didn't cut the heads off the bolts, lube them up with some PB and get ahold of them with some vise grips and turn em out.
Make sure you replace the bolts with hex head bolts when you get them removed, then in the future removing them will not be an issue.

dustin_j
06-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Put the other 2 bolts back in and tighten them down. Then drill out the 2 that are stuck (with a bit about half the size of the bolt); hopefully they'll come out.

shawndog360
06-26-2008, 08:41 AM
could they be easy out? and how do i do that drill thing if i use half the size how am i going to get the rest of it out

dustin_j
06-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Many times when you drill a bolt out you will start drilling a hole into it, but eventually the thread engagement weakens since the bolt isn't as strong, and the friction in the drill bit turns it out. If it doesn't work with the first bit go a little bigger, but be sure not to get into the threads. An easy out may also work; it will also need a hole drilled into the bolt. Good luck, and be patient

shawndog360
06-26-2008, 08:50 AM
should i use a metal drill bit that is made for the metal and do you have aim or yahoo dustin?

dustin_j
06-26-2008, 08:58 AM
No I don't have either. Yeah use a metal bit, just try to drill through the center of the bolt. A little heat may help as well. That's all I can think of right now, good luck.

jeepthing07
06-26-2008, 11:40 AM
you might be able to weld nuts to the tops of them if your lucky then turn them out

krt400ex
06-26-2008, 12:09 PM
to sound like an a-hole here, but you seriously need to learn to place comma's and periods...i could hardly make out what the hell you were saying

Hondamaster5505
06-26-2008, 06:55 PM
An old mechanics trick;)

Take the allen-head that fits in it. Put it in the long way.

Now take a hammer and just give it a good wack on the allen wrench.

It'll shock the bolt and hopefully come loose.

Ive used this many times before, It works perfectly for stuck or frozen bolts. I used to struggle so much with them until my dad tought me the trick.

It works wonders, and I havent had a problem with bolts again.

tri5ron
06-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Have you tried using a bolt extractor?
I belive that a size #7 or #8 would fit the allen bolt head.

They can be purchased at Sears in the tool dept., and generally work far better than an EZ-out.

If you DO choose to try an EZ-out, make SURE that you use the largest one possible, without drilling into the threads,...AND make SURE that you do not break the EZ-out off inside the bolt.

You DO NOT want to deal with having to get a broken EZ-out out of the bolt. they are almost impossible to drill out, due to they are a much harder steel than the bolt itself, or even a drill bit for that matter.

also MAKE SURE that you do not drill off center, and end up drilling into the threads. if you do this, you will just be creating a bigger problem for yourself.

and before you do anything, make sure you soak it with some PB blaster, or WD-40, or Liquid Wrench, or equivilant penetrating oil. some heat and/or a few raps from a hammer or rivet gun may also help get them to break loose.

last, and also (I'm not trying to be a jerk here), I second what krt400ex said, please slow down and type a little some clearly.
It is very difficult to try and understand what you are asking help with, when you run 2 or 3 sentences together. try to use a few commas or periods. I reitterate that I'm not trying to be a jerk.

this is a great forum, and the people here are usually willing to help each other with any sort of problems, but we need to be able to clearly understand what you are asking, or need help with.

so back to my original suggestion,...
try using a #7 or #8 bolt extractor BEFORE you try drilling into the bolt.

hope this helps,... good luck.

hornetgod13
06-26-2008, 09:08 PM
I have to ask..............

Why did you cut the heads off the bolts? Did you not check to see that the bolts thread into the swingarm. You made it even harder on yourself. "Out of the frying pan and into the fire"

If you're talented with a drill than try an "easy out" (screw extractor). Easy outs work like a champ if you center punch the bolt, drill straight/deep enough, and use the correct sized extractor.

Good luck. You have to take the blinders off and look at the whole picture sometimes. Hopefully others will learn from your mistake.

tri5ron
06-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Oops,
I didn't realize that you had already cut the bolt heads off.
Bad choice. it is going to be harder now, like hornetgod said.

The bolt extractors I was referring to are for the EXTERNAL/OUTSIDE of the bolt head.

they work better than EZ-outs, due to you get greater leverage/power on the stuck bolt, or rounded off head, of a hexhead bolt.

but now that you have cut the heads off, you basically have no other choice than to try an EZ-out method.

Again, I highly suggest that you soak it with some good penetrating oil, and let it sit for a day or two before you chance breaking the EZ-out off inside the bolt shank.

you might want to consider asking someone who is a experienced mechanic to help you. I think I saw a different thread where you had stripped one of the oil filter cover bolts?
Get some one to give you a hand before you cause yourself more troubles and expence.

vAnS_77
06-27-2008, 05:50 AM
PB blaster, the best thing known to man..It eats a foam cup away in 2 mins, yes I have tried it. Hit it with that, and drill it out, then make notchs in the side of the bolts. Try to use a screwdriver to turn them if your notchs are big enough. More than likely you WILL f-up your threads. You might have to die them out to a different size.