PDA

View Full Version : Hard decision, but I made up my mind

HondaRaceReady
06-24-2008, 05:37 PM
For the past few weeks, I've been losing a lot of sleep. It's because I just couldnt make a decision. I got a 400ex because back when I had a dirtbike I could never ride because everywhere was nothing but mud. I hated the fact that when I went riding, all of my buddies on quads were having fun while I was falling in the mud all the time. So my friend let me try his 400ex with pro circuit slip on and K&N filter (not even a rejet). Well, I fell in love with it and bought an 07 3 months later. This thing is real slow, and I know it sounds really obvious to upgrade it, but I refuse to put anything but the best parts on my stuff. So, a curtis sparks pipe is about $600 shipped + $50 uni filter + $120 EHS racing lid + $15 jet kit. Thats about $800 right there. Then, I would spend about another $800 putting in a big bore kit and all. Then comes nerf bars, tires and wheels, decals, skid plates... This is all fine and all, and I would do it, except for the fact that a 400ex will never be the same as a 250 quad racer. Of course, my friend is thinking about selling his for around $2200. I just cant justify putting tons of money into my 400ex when the 250 quad racer is fast as **** and already has just about everything upgraded on it. The bike is a beast and I just couldnt decide whether to buy that, or to upgrade my 400ex. I have a perfect argument for both. It makes sense to buy the 250, because then I have a faster bike for about the same price as the 400ex upgrades would cost. Plus, I don't want to put tons of money into the 400ex just to eventually outgrow it. On the other side of the argument though, it is ridiculous to buy a brand new bike just to use as a backup bike. And it is equally bad to not even try to see if I will be happy with an upgraded 400ex. Well, I eventually just decided I will buy the lt250r. Thats if the guy will sell it. He likes it, but he wants a streetbike and needs money so maybe I can persuade him. If not there is a polaris 450 for sale for 2k in my area too. Anyway, sorry for the long post, but did I make the right choice?

powermadd400ex
06-24-2008, 05:42 PM
the lt250r is beastly and if he is sellin it for 2grand(saying that it is good condition) thats a great!!
is this polaris 450 the outlaw or utility? utility will only be slower than the 400ex.

blankenship
06-24-2008, 05:44 PM
I just went throught the same thing i am currently building my 460ex stroker and had thought for the mony i am gunna put in my 400ex i could just sell it and buy RAPTOR 700R SE from the local dealer for abot another 500$$ more than i would have in the 460ex but then again i love my ex and couldnt part with it so here i am building my 460ex i think ill be happy................if not mayb a turbo lol :D

HondaRaceReady
06-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Yeah, same thing happened when I saw his bike. I fell in love with it cause it was so awesome. Its in good shape, but I'll probably rebuild it anyway if I get it. And the polaris is the outlaw.

DementeD
06-24-2008, 06:09 PM
wow....still playing the "my penis is bigger then urs ??"

u dont need the most expensive parts to have a fast quad
ur not a pro mx'er right??
i dont see the need for $120 lid?? really..
be cheap drill some holes in it get some outwears for them and lid done..cheap mod
install sparks advanced timing key..20 bucks plus gasket so 35ish
get a nice slip on for half the price of an x6..so ull be at 30hp instead of 31.4hp..oh well..
bore to a 416 with stage 2 cam 11:1 piston and ull have a totally different quad..oh yea and ur uni filter jet accordingly..
also recommend the 450r carb..
could grind down the welds in ur header(this was big for me since the left side had the weld dripping down and blocked a lot of flow..

after all that i think ud enjoy ur quad and spend a lot less
all while stilling riding the most reliable quad to date :D

the most impressive thing to me is have the fastest quad per dollar..
if u spend 2000 on ur fancy expensive parts and i spend 1000 and beat u...well...my penis is bigger :D and if i lose..well my wallet is still fatter :P haha

speedfoxracing
06-24-2008, 06:42 PM
like he said just spend ur money wisely do the sparks timing key and a slip one and work from there. like me i bought my bike 4 1200 and bought a slip on pro circuit for 80bucks. just look around and check out ebay. and i,m only 15 and i cant afford all of this at once but i just wait a lil while and save up till i can get it then i buy it i have a list of things i want i know its not worth it but its something i like so its fun. and if u like ur 4wheeler then do it

HondaRaceReady
06-24-2008, 07:05 PM
like he said just spend ur money wisely do the sparks timing key and a slip one and work from there. like me i bought my bike 4 1200 and bought a slip on pro circuit for 80bucks. just look around and check out ebay. and i,m only 15 and i cant afford all of this at once but i just wait a lil while and save up till i can get it then i buy it i have a list of things i want i know its not worth it but its something i like so its fun. and if u like ur 4wheeler then do it
Its hard to explain, but I refuse to put on certain parts when I know there is something better. Why put on a slip on when you can do full exhaust? Why do some half*** modification like grinding down the welds in your headers when you can get better headers? Why put on an 11:1 compression piston when you can go higher? I know it makes you lose tons of reliability, but I just cant bring myself to do something to the bike when I can do something better. Even for tires, why buy 4 ply? Sure they are strong, but 6 ply is stronger, and now it seems like 4 ply is worthless. I am sure you disagree. This is just the way I am. I dont care, its my personality, not yours. Anyway, that would mean I will have to spend a serious amount of money on my bike, and for that price I might be able to get more power per dollar, just like you said.

speedfoxracing
06-24-2008, 07:09 PM
yea i under stand how u are. i am like that on some things. all depends on wut and if i can aford it like i will save tons of money cause i thought about buyin a full system but my friend had that one 4 80 bucks and now i have stock header but after iget it bored out i will get a power bomb so depends on how u spend it u can save it 2. but some things dont cheap out on

Ruby Soho
06-24-2008, 07:09 PM
because bigger isnt always better.

HondaRaceReady
06-24-2008, 07:14 PM
wow....still playing the "my penis is bigger then urs ??"
Forgot to mention my other friend rides a yz490, so I'm not just trying to impress my friends with a fast bike, theirs are faster.

Hondamaster5505
06-24-2008, 07:21 PM
that outlaw is stolen.

There is NO way you are getting a 450 outlaw for 2k unless is was beaten, abused, destroyed, and has a blown engine.

Hell, if it isnt stolen and that cheap, I would buy it just to re-sell it:eek2:

HondaRaceReady
06-24-2008, 07:26 PM
that outlaw is stolen.
You could be right. I didn't check it out in person yet, I just drove by it. But my friend looked at it and said the guy told him he barely ever rode it and its been sitting for a while so he only wanted 2k.

Hondamaster5505
06-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by HondaRaceReady
You could be right. I didn't check it out in person yet, I just drove by it. But my friend looked at it and said the guy told him he barely ever rode it and its been sitting for a while so he only wanted 2k.

pm me where this is. If you don't buy it ill jump on it just for re-sale purposes.

DementeD
06-24-2008, 07:45 PM
I definitely understand that mentality..u want the best..
but sometimes the most expensive doesnt equate to the best

theres soooo many reasons not to get a x6 or a 120 lid..
but..if thats what u want..get it..
im sort of wondering why u even bought a 400ex really..

and u know how many guys on here will vouch for a 11:1 416 hanging with 11:1 440s just having the knowledge of matching parts together correctly is where its out not buyin the most expensive everything..

ie a stock head pipe with a slip on may do better then a full exhaust...the full exhaust make peak 1hp higher but the stock headpipe/slip on may have a better curve and higher tq which would result in a faster bike..

alex10
06-24-2008, 09:43 PM
I don't know about you but I try to do everything my self so I can do more for less. That way I will spend less money for more bike. There is no need for the best. When I save money for the quad I can afford to have an RM-250 and if I feel like riding something fast the beast is always ready. I don't see the point in buying the most expensive stuff when DIY work and eBay can get you a long ways.

warr72
06-24-2008, 10:05 PM
I just said enough is enough and bought a 450R. Honda Rules! I had my choice of any quad I wanted and got the 450R. Had a 400 but not enough guts and it was modded.