PDA

View Full Version : IRS Vs. Straight axle for desert racing

cycleman4
06-24-2008, 05:37 PM
So what is the popular opinion. I want to build a new bike but not sure which way to go.

ATV Macho Man
06-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Hi Cycleman4, I would say that IRS seems to be gaining ground as far as desert racing is concerned. Wayne Matlock has won several BITD and SCORE races on a Honda TRX700

Wayne Matlock (http://www.albaaction.com/racing/racers/matlock.htm)
Honda TRX700 Review (http://atv.off-road.com/atv/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/506373?contextCategoryId=23494?orsrcfath=atvr)

CannondaleRider
06-24-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm not knocking IRS, because it seems to be being figured out quiet well.

BUT, in my opinion, go straightaxle...less parts, less MOVING parts...less things to go wrong. Desert racing is a lot about keeping stuff together..that comes with any racing genre, but more so with a race that may last hundreds, or over a thousand miles. To finish first you must first finish..endurance is key.

Less parts to break, longer proven technology...straight axle.

Just my 0.02. ;)

wilkin250r
06-25-2008, 01:52 AM
CannondaleRider has a really good point. In desert racing, reliability often wins over speed.

But at the same time, desert racing generally isn't made up of a bunch of corners and turns where body roll is an issue. It's about smooth riding and endurance.

So I think you've got a difficult choice. I think IRS will give you a little better performance, but a straightaxle probably has a little better reliability.

bwamos
06-25-2008, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
So I think you've got a difficult choice. I think IRS will give you a little better performance, but a straightaxle probably has a little better reliability.

I'm from the midwest, so I have no real expertise, but to me IRS has a distinct advantage of being able to go over those 6" tall rocks full speed where a straight axle has to go around them. And desert races from what I've seen tend to have a lot of skid plate busters that are a non-issue for IRS.

OutlawBill
06-25-2008, 08:03 AM
One of the big advantages of the IRS over SA is reduced rider fatigue. The IRS does not wear you out as much as a SA will. The first time I took my Outlaw out to the desert I ride it longer and harder than I could on my DS or Predator and still work on Monday with out taking Advil

cycleman4
06-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Thanks for all the good info. I am leaning twords IRS at this point. Now the question is what brand?

Hondamaster5505
06-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by cycleman4
Thanks for all the good info. I am leaning twords IRS at this point. Now the question is what brand?

You asked the wrong question:eek: This is gonna start a war, I can see it coming.

But believe it or not, I think polaris is the way to go. I used to HATE polaris, with a passion. Used to think they were the suckiest atv's ever built. But things have changed...

I think polaris actually has their crap together finally. The outlaw 525 irs looks cool, has decent suspension stock, with IRS and a KTM engine. I don't think you can go wrong.. They're really nice.

Other than that, your only other option is the 700xx. This is also a nice quad, but has a few quirks. First of all, I would NEVER buy a 1st year model. Second, they have an odd rear end. No good tires available for that size rim yet, and you have to use an 11 rim. Plus they're fairly heavy.

It's really up to you. Rider preference. Sit on both, and try to ride both if possible.

cycleman4
06-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Is the difference in engine cc a consideration? I am 6'1" 225lbs. would I be better off going with the 700? Also I have no brand loyalty at this point. I Like that the Polaris uses a KTM motor.

bwamos
06-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by cycleman4
Is the difference in engine cc a consideration? I am 6'1" 225lbs. would I be better off going with the 700? Also I have no brand loyalty at this point. I Like that the Polaris uses a KTM motor.

The 700xx's motor is based off of the XR650R.
The Outlaw525 is based off if the KTM525.

The 525 is a more powerful motor (even though it is smaller), but the XR650R motor is a very bulletproof motor. The 525 is also very reliable.

Motor wise... I don't think either option is a poor choice for desert. I think the deciding factor would be the quality of the rear IRS components.