PDA

View Full Version : well, here i am again... please input...

DieselSmoke5000
06-24-2008, 05:11 PM
its been a while since i've been on these boards, considering i thought my machine was complete..(machine in signiture)

I've got an issue. My quad sucks... lol or maybe my mechanical ability sucks.. lol, lets go with the quad because its easier to blame than myself.. ( against common opinion)

After i re-assembled my quad from its winter makeover it ran excellant. It ran great for 40 hrs... or so. here i am in the dead of the season and it down. it runs, idels, shifts excellent, starts up great, no leaking oil. it runs g reat driving down the road in low rpm situation, but the minuit i grab a handful of gas it chokes, pukes and pops. i know it sounds like a fuel issue but i can find it, thats why i'm here..

modifications are in the sig. it started running crappy while on a trip to canada in the red dirt.

changed plug, adjusted valves, cleaned the filters (which got dirt packed up there) tore the carb apart and cleaned it, although it wasn't horribly dirty. and it still runs like crap.

my next line of approach is to change the oil, because it is black but it hasn't been there long ( i think its dirty from my trip)
but that shouldn't have bothered it running right?

My jetting is a 170 main, 3rd clip, 2-1/4 turns out air/fuel screw, the way it is set from when it ran great. can anybody turn me in the right direction.. may i have a clogged jet? is it an electronic issue (rev box problem?)

somebody please help, i dont want to take it to a dealer

happy riding

:ermm:

m36indiana
06-24-2008, 09:26 PM
sounds like the carb needs a good cleaning

INFAMOUSRACER7
06-24-2008, 10:28 PM
check for an air leek, maybe your air boot has a tare in it

400exrider707
06-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Drop the main down, it is way too large, drop the needle on the clip down one notch, too lean there, and bump the pilot up to a 42 if you haven't done so already. Your jetting sounds way off, and I think you'll be surprised to see how it really runs with it correct.

John451
06-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Drop the main down, it is way too large, drop the needle on the clip down one notch, too lean there, and bump the pilot up to a 42 if you haven't done so already. Your jetting sounds way off, and I think you'll be surprised to see how it really runs with it correct.

But how would the wrong jetting be the case if he was riding it and it was fine but after 40 hours it's crap? I think you have a clogged jet. Also in canada it's higher above sea level so it runs itself leaner. When you travel to different places it changes from being lean to rich. But once you came home it should have been better. What kind of filter do u have? try running it without the filter. and like someone else said check the intake boot. If there is a crack, tear, or dry rot, you can put gasket maker on it.

DieselSmoke5000
06-25-2008, 10:36 PM
thanks for all the help... he's right about canada.. it ran better there. i don't think its a jetting issue, i know its rich.. and to be honest with you, i know it needs to be changed. but that cannot be the problem.

my intake boot from the carb, or the plastic thiing that runs to my airbox...?? i'm not sure but i dont think i have that issue.. i am going to check it soon when i get some time. but back to the carb, i'm not sure how a clogged jet would affect it being that i have never ran across that problem. but wouldn't a clogged jet be more spurratic and more of a bigger issue. i'm not sure, and i'm not underminding you but if the jet is partially clogged i think it would cut our a lot more and be more spontanious. as far as filters, i run a KN Airfilter, with a outerwear pre-filter, and for a lid i run the KN X-stream lid which acts like a giant kn filter for a lid, which also has a prefilter. both filters have been cleaned, and oiled, these filters actually work quite well for what they are.. one question posed would be a CDI box.. a few of our techs at work think it may be a cdi unit thats going bad. ( sorry, i work at a DUCATI, TRIUMPH, and KTM Dealer) but dont want take my machine in unless i have to.

i'll probably check the jet, check the intake boot, and see what happens but if its not it... where do i go? anyother opinions..

thanks for all the help.. its really appreciated

pro-rider46
06-25-2008, 11:29 PM
just try rejetting it to 400exrider707's recomendations, i had a lot of sputtering one time, i put a exhaust on and rejetted and it ran perfect, not a hic up what so ever, and the thing is that it just at random did this, i ran the same jets for about a year, and it just changed, rejet then tell us how it runs

John451
06-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Well if u think its the cdi, maybe unplug it and check to make sure its not packed with dirt. Dirt somehow just packs and packs itself into that plug just because it knows its the brains. If u know someone who is an electrician or has a multimeter, maybe have him use the continuity tester on the different prongs of the cdi plug and see if it's workin.

TrX450Rfreek
07-03-2008, 12:36 AM
i would never run a k&n on any atv bike etc that i own
lets to much dirt in
i would rather oil a foam and know dirt isnt goin past it
i think ur jetting may be way off or u could have a severly clogged jet

400exrider707
07-03-2008, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by John451
But how would the wrong jetting be the case if he was riding it and it was fine but after 40 hours it's crap? I think you have a clogged jet. Also in canada it's higher above sea level so it runs itself leaner. When you travel to different places it changes from being lean to rich. But once you came home it should have been better. What kind of filter do u have? try running it without the filter. and like someone else said check the intake boot. If there is a crack, tear, or dry rot, you can put gasket maker on it.

My guess is it wasn't "fine" before, it just rode OK enough so that it didn't cause concern now that weather and or temp/elevation has changed the problem is worse.

No matter what is gonig on your jetting is OFF