PDA

View Full Version : 300EX Cold Starting Problems

300EX'er
12-02-2002, 09:20 AM
My 300 has a vary hard time getting started when it is cold outside. Last weekend I drained the battery trying to start it. I heard somewhere that if you up the Pilot jet it will help starting when its cold out. What should I up it to? Is it hard to replace the pilot? I have a E-series slip on, K&N filter and jet kit, and no holes in the air box. I'm not sure what me elevation is but I live and ride in and near cinncinati, OH. What setups and jet sizes are your guys running? Thanks for any help:)

300exazzkikr
12-02-2002, 10:35 AM
Mine is hard to start also. I use the choke to get it started..takes a few cranks..then turn the choke to about half and let it warm up for about 2 mins. then turn the choke off and then keep it running for another 2 mins or so. THen hop on and ride! It's good to get it good and warm before you run it.

305exracer11
12-02-2002, 12:07 PM
mine had the same problem, i just put a hotter spark plug in it and it fired right up

ZSK
12-02-2002, 07:21 PM
Mine along with everyone else's is hard to start. If I use the choke it floods. I start it (no choke) and keep it running by holding it at about 3000 until it idles fine. Let the oil in the motor/tranny warm up or it will stall a lot. Stalling out will carbon up your plug keep a new one handy it always helps. I dip mine in gas and then screw it in right away.