PDA

View Full Version : 250r rear suspension options - need advice

brandonpeake
06-24-2008, 07:24 AM
just got a 250R my first one, anyways so I missed out on alot of info when everyone was on one. Anyways I still got my 450R and I will bex racing the 450, the 250 is in amazing shape and I want to keep it nice, so anyway for stock suspension the rear is amazing, I mean its sad they did better in 87 xthan in 04, It doesnt buck like my 04 450R did, but anyways I know you can go no link to cr500. But I dont really want to sink that much $ into it. I have zero preload elkas on the front, I was thinking about sending the rear to Laz and get it rebuilt, he told me he could do some work on it but not as much good as he could on a 450's shock. So I have decided to get it serviced either way b/c I figure even though its go low hours since 87 i figure it needs fluid changed or added atleast.
Anyways just looking for some options from people with experience with it.

So what options do I have? I know most things are going to have to be gotten off
Ebay
I saw something on a bike LRD made to give the shock more travel and I am sure most compnaies a few years ago had products Just looking for some pointers.
Thanks

C-LEIGH RACING
06-24-2008, 10:29 AM
If you could find a Works rear on e bay in good shape, probably get one of those at a good price + lots of places that can rebuild them or you could do it yourself. Its simple once you get the nitrogen out & replacement parts not that high either.
Neil

brandonpeake
06-24-2008, 02:50 PM
i had considered that, well just getting an aftermarket rear shock for the stock setup. I have saw some axis ones on ebay. I just didnt know how well it would perform. I thought it would be good, since the stock is so good i figured the axis would be better but just looking for opinions,
Thanks

national #9
06-24-2008, 03:42 PM
KOQ racing makes a long travel no link swing arm for both of your quads, they have around 13 inches of travel, and elka makes shocks for them. call Tom at KOQ he will fix you up. 616-363-1215

Rich250RRacer
06-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by brandonpeake
just got a 250R my first one, anyways so I missed out on alot of info when everyone was on one. Anyways I still got my 450R and I will bex racing the 450, the 250 is in amazing shape and I want to keep it nice, so anyway for stock suspension the rear is amazing, I mean its sad they did better in 87 xthan in 04, It doesnt buck like my 04 450R did, but anyways I know you can go no link to cr500. But I dont really want to sink that much $ into it. I have zero preload elkas on the front, I was thinking about sending the rear to Laz and get it rebuilt, he told me he could do some work on it but not as much good as he could on a 450's shock. So I have decided to get it serviced either way b/c I figure even though its go low hours since 87 i figure it needs fluid changed or added atleast.
Anyways just looking for some options from people with experience with it.

So what options do I have? I know most things are going to have to be gotten off
Ebay
I saw something on a bike LRD made to give the shock more travel and I am sure most compnaies a few years ago had products Just looking for some pointers.
Thanks

Have Baldwin do a revalve on the stocker. I had one of his on my GNCC 250R and it worked great. I was going to buy an aftermarket shock, he talked me out of it, and he could have made money on the aftermarket one.

All250R
06-24-2008, 10:23 PM
I personally don't have a lot of shock experience, but I think the stock fronts are the limiting factor in the suspension department. I had my rear rebuilt by Elka to match the 0 preload Elka fronts i bought and I really have no complaints. On the other hand a friend of mine bought the same 0 preload Elka fronts for his 400ex at the same time I did and put off doing the rear. The chassis felt really off. I mean really bad. He finally had the rebuilt by TCS I think and it felt better matched but still never felt quite right to me. My R still felt more balanced front to rear.

So basically, from that experience, I'd put my money on Elka in the rear either with a new shock or having the stock one rebuild, either way matched to the specs done in the front. With the 0 preload in the rear, I can sit far back on the lowered rear and let the front do it's work soaking up the harsh stuff up front. It's a different riding style, but it works great on that nimble chassis.