PDA

View Full Version : Cracked my Frame

440challenger
06-24-2008, 07:03 AM
Cracked my frame on my 400ex 450 hybrid.
its the top tube that runs down by your knee.
Its broke it half . i know if i weld the crack it will just crack again. I was thinking of getting a piece of pipe and slicing it in two halves,sanwiching the broke tube and welding it together.

Any other ideas of how to fix a cracked frame tube? its too far out to run a gusset under it to another frame rail.

BuiltBlaster88
06-28-2008, 01:05 PM
I had the same tube break on my frame, and yes, due to the nature of thin walled mild steel tubing it will just keep cracking next to the weld and/or breaking completely. There are several ways to approach this problem. What I did was slide about 5-6'' of ~5/8" shaft inside the tube, and then tig weld it back together. You could also slit a tube that fits over the broken frame tube, and sandwich the halves together. The key there is just welding it longitudally, do not weld it around the circumference of the tube or you'll be back to square one. If you have access to moly tubing, just cut out the whole frame rail and replace it.

Black R/T
07-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by 440challenger
I was thinking of getting a piece of pipe and slicing it in two halves,sanwiching the broke tube and welding it together.

youre on the right track. might try both ideas.