PDA

View Full Version : 06 YFZ 450 motor upgrades

Thumper1220
06-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Hey guy's...just wondering what can be done to improve horsepower and torque without sacrificing a lot of reliability. The big bore kits and cam upgrades look like a good place to start..but how long will the thing hold together ?? I dont do any racing just long distance trail riding...went up 1 tooth on the rear sprocket...still not enough pull.....I dont wanna go 2 because I will loose too much top end...looking to pick up mabye 20-25 horses without having to get into the motor every month.

New to 4 strokes converted from a CR250 so kinda new to the 450 motors. Thanks Guys

250r4life
06-23-2008, 11:54 AM
oh... youre only looking to pick up 20-25 horses? no sweat... :devil:

250r4life
06-23-2008, 11:55 AM
in all seriousness though, what all have you done so far besides the slip on exhaust?

yfzrider45
06-23-2008, 12:14 PM
If you wanna take the cheap route, get a K&N airfilter, take off the airbox lid, use "engine ice" coolant, get some hotcams, change the oil to a full synthetic. and i would change the exhuast to a full. And the reliability of what i named is top knotch but you wont gain 25 hp off what i named, but enough to feel a big diffrence.

BTW: the hotcams and the sprocket mod should be pretty good together!!

Thumper1220
06-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Motor is all stock...running synthetic oil and 93 sunoco fuel. Laegers +1 A-arms, guseted and powdercoated frame, DG fat series full chasis plate+swingarm plate, +1 tooth on rear sprocket, lonestar stem and clamp, tag t 2 bars, twist throttle, rath pro peg nerfs, pro armor rear bar, DG front bumper.....20-25 horses is a pretty big step up I know...just wondering whats out there without turning it into a maintinence pig

Michael18
06-23-2008, 09:07 PM
The first thing I would do that is going to prevent a lot of motor problems in the long run is the oil mod.

Then you can go with a full exhaust, Stroker Crank, Any Cams, CP High Compression Piston, MXP Head Porting, Pro Design filter kit, Airbox lid off and then get the correct jetting and it will run a lot better without sacrificing to much reliability.

250r4life
06-24-2008, 12:18 AM
you gotta crawl before you walk...

i would get a pro-design filter kit, ditch the air box lid, do the cam-mod, and get it jetted correctly... that is gunna be a pretty dang fast bike.

you said youre only doing trail riding, and honestly, i dont know why you would need more than what i listed above. the only thing i can think of is more power will make it so you dont have to shift as much, and can lug it in a higher gear... if thats really what youre shooting for, get a raptor 700...

i took mine out to the desert a couple weeks ago, and i have it back to stock original (had taken it in for some warranty work), and honestly, if i didnt go to the dunes i wouldnt really need more than what that bike has to offer stock...it is nice yes, but it isnt neccessary...

Ride1Rob
06-24-2008, 11:12 AM
20-25hp :eek2: !!! You're looking to catapult that motor...

Thumper1220
06-25-2008, 02:17 AM
ok ok...another 25 horses looks like pushing it to the limit i guess:ermm:
Have rode with modded raptor 700 and YFZ current setup beats hands down except up top on dirt roads. So I am looking to keep the YFZ for now.....thinking about a different set of cams...air filter/airbox setup and mabye an athena big bore kit. Also was wondering if it has a forged piston in it from the factory??....sounds like it when warming up but not sure.......
Also any feedback on a good set of cams something not too extreme but in the middle?
And anyone running any cylinder/piston kits from athena on the YFZ?

MAaudioX10
06-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Any way you cut it more power equals less reliability. You want reliable, keep it stock. Otherwise, just get accustom to the idea of goin thru the motor every winter.

It's good maintenance anyhow...I'm payin for that mistake now. I'm sinkin $1700 into my motor to get her singin again. Naturally, she'll be running harder and better than before but, you really need to evaluate your riding style and, really ask if all that power is necessary.

The bikes already average around 40 hp. I don't know about the rest of you but, a reliable 65 hp YFZ don't happen everyday. Not considering the fact of what it will take to get there. I mean, we're talking new everything; stroker, big bore, carb, port/polish, cams, piston, engine modifications, full exhaust, FCI intake....the works...all for the bargin price of your left arm and leg.

I would say the "normal" thing to do is: full exhaust, intake, oil mod, HC piston, mild head work, and a set of cams. You'll get a sizeable increase in power and sacrifice minimal reliability.

Unlukky
06-28-2008, 10:25 AM
You only need one cam, the intake cam. Get a crower victory cam and retard the exhaust. And it IS a YAMAHA so reliabilty is already an issue. Don't go big bore for trail riding, you'll melt the piston to the cylinder, if you havent already noticed, they kinda get a little hot anyway. Less cylinder space equals less heat resistance wich equals meltdown. Go with a 13.1 piston, crower victory intake cam, retard the exhaust, FCI intake and a full exhaust..... better yet, don't get the 13.1 if your trail riding, race gas is too high to waste away. Maybe a 12.5 is what you need.

honda4life72
06-28-2008, 12:40 PM
if your looking for good reliable power. a piston, headporting,hotcams will be all u need as far as inside the motor.

06YFZ450SE
06-30-2008, 02:30 PM
I have an 06 YFZ with the Cam Mod,Dr D Exaust,Lid Off,Fuel screw,Jetted,Power Now's,15 tooth front sproket, This quad gets the job done. I have only been beat by an 498ci LT-R. But Iam setting mine up for MX racing. I looking in to doing a 13.5 CP piston and +5 Web cams and value springs. I might do head work too. I want to upgrade my susp too to make it wider.

But all in all Iam very happy with my YFZ how it runs right now.

Thumper1220
06-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by hondarider11
Does anyone else realize that this guy mentioned he had laegers +1 a arms and look at the front of the quad if it didnt have stock tires it would be scraping. Obviously this guy knows nothing about quads and thinks he can get 65hp out of his engine and keep it reliable. Another reason to back up my claim is that he had to of bought long travel a arms and is running stock shocks.

Does this guy realize this is a Yamaha forum? I think anyone with a honda screenname that is giving people in a yamaha forum a hard time might be a few fruit loops short of a complete breakfast.....but thats just me:huh Mabye not everyone can afford to spend 2 grand on shocks and a arms at the same time eh?.....oh and by the way if you ever grow some mabye you will go with the twist throttle like I have on my yfz!?!?

If you ever want to be humiliated on a quad/dirtbike or snowmobile PM me I live near syracuse

:)

XCRacer236
06-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Thumper1220
I think anyone with a honda screenname that is giving people in a yamaha forum a hard time might be a few fruit loops short of a complete breakfast.....but thats just me:huh

THATS ONE OF THE FUNNIEST THINGS I HAVE READ IN A LONG TIME!

oh, and i agree!

Thumper1220
07-01-2008, 07:50 AM
Ok well I'm not the idiot that is running stock shocks with long travel a arms. I come to this forum because a few of my friends have yamaha yfz450s and there is nothing they can say that I can't say about them because I have been around them a lot. Also with the whole twist throttle thing most people will agree they suck on quads and I have ridden dirtbikes for a lot longer then I have a quad so go ahead and think what you want about me buddy because you know nothing about me but I do know that you my friend are an idiot because you cannot tell the difference between long and standard travel.

Unless you are jumping the thing or riding on trails meant for a 4x4....i think most people will agree there is nothing wrong with running +1 a arms and stock shocks...it lowers the front end a few inches...but like I said before unless you are jumping or riding rutted trails....IT WONT HURT ANYTHING

dummy

Thumper1220
07-01-2008, 07:51 AM
and i got my new shocks in she's ready for all kinds of action now.....:devil:

exrider12
07-01-2008, 09:01 AM
are those can am ute shocks?:eek: :eek2:

Thumper1220
07-01-2008, 09:37 AM
lol they are from the new 08 ski doo rev...just so happens they are 1 and 1/2 inches longer than stock.... they do good work :) :)

Thumper1220
07-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Ok man good for you I can care less. Go get your extra 25 hp.

you cared enough to give me a hard time about it at first

I guess you have a lot of free time to waste ....... mabye you can learn to fix your honda and not just look at stuff and then talk like you know what your saying!

If you had ANY experience at all like you say you do ...(which you dont) you would have something more to say than what you read on the web or on this forum! I think you should turn your computer off and go get your hands dirty on the honda

From what you have said to me i dont think i would trust you to adjust my chain and change the oil.......

Im done wasting my time with you.....good day madam

yfzrider45
07-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Honda riders :rolleyes:

:p

250r4life
07-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Alright... well add Thumper1220 to my retarded list...

just a few days after making yourself look stupid on two seperate accounts and showing you clearly know very little about the YFZ, you call this dude out on knowing very little... oh the irony and hypocrisy...

then, you seek to inlist the help of others against him not based off knowledge or anything else like that, but based purely on brand loyalty...

last, i always have and always will have a thumb throttle on my YFZ, and i assure you i have a pair, and those pair would be out in front of you...

Thumper1220
07-02-2008, 06:46 AM
Thank you I am a redneck and proud of it buddy, and to even make a comment like that in the first place shows me a few things,

1. you have no respect for anyone...not even yourself

2. you have no respect for the people that are here to share their mechanical knowledge with others or actually help people.

4. you have no respect for this forum, so to be fair this is it. I am done answering to your b.s. posts that have nothing to do with what we are all here for. Mabye you have no friends and a POS HONDA so you have to go running your mouth and being a prick. and lets not talk about brand loyalty I had a 97 xr 100 a 96 cr 125 and a 99 cr 250 before i crossed over to the other side. And let me tell you the grass is greener on the other side!!

And to call me stupid and say i know very little let me tell you buddy i have never taken a dirtbike quad snowmobile car or truck anywhere to get fixed, painted or souped up so think about that the next time you drop your paycheck at the honda dealer....

so please stop wasting all our time...if you want drama go watch springer i'm out i got a quad to ride
:cool:

Thumper1220
07-02-2008, 08:56 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 250r4life
Alright... well add Thumper1220 to my retarded list...

just a few days after making yourself look stupid on two seperate accounts and showing you clearly know very little about the YFZ, you call this dude out on knowing very little... oh the irony and hypocrisy...

then, you seek to inlist the help of others against him not based off knowledge or anything else like that, but based purely on brand loyalty...

last, i always have and always will have a thumb throttle on my YFZ, and i assure you i have a pair, and those pair would be out in front of you... [/QUOTe

dude you cant even spell enlist? or separate? c'mon buddy

exrider12
07-02-2008, 08:59 AM
WHO CARES! As long as you have something to ride were out there to have fun, not bicker at each other on the internet:rolleyes: . And about the shocks, maybe thumper couldnt get $1200 shocks right now and he was creative and found a way around it.

I bet those shocks work better than the lower end shocks or stock rebuilds.

JUST STOP BICKERING. you have no idea how stupid it is. JUST GO RIDE:blah:

250r4life
07-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Thumper1220
[

dude you cant even spell enlist? or separate? c'mon buddy

souped up huh?

Thumper1220
07-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by exrider12
WHO CARES! As long as you have something to ride were out there to have fun, not bicker at each other on the internet:rolleyes: . And about the shocks, maybe thumper couldnt get $1200 shocks right now and he was creative and found a way around it.

I bet those shocks work better than the lower end shocks or stock rebuilds.

JUST STOP BICKERING. you have no idea how stupid it is. JUST GO RIDE:blah:

I agree and you are right about the shocks;) i joined this forum to get some info on my quad and help people not to get hassled by rude people. whatever you ride just try to have fun
:cool:

wildrose
07-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Ok if you can read I posted before a few of my friends have yfz's and your probably one of those guys that just rigs stuff up because they don't know how it fits. Also where you get I drop my paycheck at the honda dealer you are really wrong. Like I said you know nothing about me.

I just want to say, to you and to your lil buddy 250r4life. Grow up. People who start fights with others on the internet are retards, with no life. I'm sure you can find something else to do other than prove to the world how pathetic you are. And as your friend 250r said.. I'll add you both to my retard list, because thats exactly how you both are acting.

If you plan to pick fights with people over really pathetic stuff, should grow yourself some gonads, and do it in real life.

Oh, and there will be no need to respond to this. If you do, it just shows everyone how immature you truly are.

250r4life
07-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by wildrose
I just want to say, to you and to your lil buddy 250r4life. Grow up. People who start fights with others on the internet are retards, with no life. I'm sure you can find something else to do other than prove to the world how pathetic you are. And as your friend 250r said.. I'll add you both to my retard list, because thats exactly how you both are acting.

If you plan to pick fights with people over really pathetic stuff, should grow yourself some gonads, and do it in real life.

Oh, and there will be no need to respond to this. If you do, it just shows everyone how immature you truly are.

and that wasnt confrontational at all?

just a tad bit of hypocrisy in your post wouldnt you say?

Ride1Rob
07-04-2008, 06:35 AM
Those new shocks you have are in no way, shape, or form made for the bike their attached to. I hope ALL of your trails stay flat with no whoops or jumps :eek2: