PDA

View Full Version : subframe bent

Mitch400EX
12-01-2002, 10:10 PM
My subframe has always been tweaked sideways a little bit, but now its bent up to **** from hard landings. My question is if I bought another stock subframe, is there anything I can do to make it stronger? I've seen people reinforce their front shock mounts by welding in pieces of metal at the upper corner of the shock mount and the frame? Has anyone ever reinforced the corners of a stock subframe this way? Did it work? I really don't want to have to buy an aftermarket subframe (expensive!!)

433rd
12-01-2002, 11:37 PM
Yes, indeed, it would be a very economical and feasible thing to do and a pretty easy task to take on as well.

You could add a few strategically placed gussets and even an extra pipe or two of 1/2" chromoly. Just don't over do it and it will be a very solid sub ready to take a beating.

HTH :cool:

L.Vegas400
12-01-2002, 11:53 PM
some things are designed to be weak in certain(sp?) spots, this way it breaks an easier, cheeper thing to fix. the helicopters i work on are designed to crack in spot that dont require a complete tear down of the airframe. just somthing to think about.

nakomis0
12-02-2002, 08:52 PM
Getting an aftermarket airbox, that holds the battery will help.

The extra weight on the battery side, tweaks the sub that way. Getting the battery more centered is suppose to help.