PDA

View Full Version : twist throttle vs thump

whc
06-23-2008, 07:32 AM
any one tried useing the twist throttle, how did it work, likes, dislikes. I am banging up my thump alot clipping trees, thought maybe the twist grip would let me have a better hold, my grand kids told me to just stop hitting trees, well lets hear some opinions Mild Bill

REPOMAN
06-23-2008, 07:57 AM
i have both. the moose dual gasser. when i my thumb gets tired after 20 or so miles and i just want to cruise i use the twist or even when i am just riding around the dunes i use the twist. i have noticed that the twist is not a great idea for me on huge jumps or long deep whoop sections so i just lock out the twist and use the thumb

tri5ron
06-23-2008, 08:10 AM
"my grand kids told me to just stop hitting trees, well lets hear some opinions Mild Bill"

My opinion is , you've got some smart grandkids.
:D :D :D

rideracelivemx7
06-23-2008, 08:48 AM
well i got a twist from streamline performance off motosport. i grew up with bikes. and i think a twist looks and feels better on a quad. a thumb is easier but i love the twist. arm pump is alot worse though. first day of riding season this year. oh man lol i guess its just based on your personality and riding style. but the only thing is. the twist on the 400ex didnt make gassing it any easier. the linkage is still just as stiff if not a little stiffer in the twist than the thumb. but go with a motion pro and there only like 30 if you odnt like it. good luck dude

trailrider1156
06-23-2008, 10:12 AM
being mentioned that you're a grandpa you would probably be more comfortable with a twist. lots of the - more experienced - riders like the twist and the younger guys seem to like thumb. it has a lot to do with what you grew up riding with IMO.

whc
06-23-2008, 10:30 AM
thanks tri5iron, just dont tell my granboys, thanks for the input guys I am going to check out the motion pro, like you said if I dont like it im not put a ton. what I am really trying to prevent is hurting my thump and hand when catching a rock root or tree, do you think having a better grip with the twister will help absorb impacts, later Mild Bill

krt400ex
06-23-2008, 10:42 AM
i prefer a thumb throttle for safety. if you get a little loose and need to hold on the bars but let go of the throttle, it is much easier to do with the thrumb over the twist. i slipped up once next to my cuzins house and he had a thumb throttle on his quad...the front end lofted and i was hanging on for dear life and the throttle was pegged...i couldnt let off without letting go of the bars. the quad climbed up the side of the house, rolled upside down and landed literally 2 inches from the propane tank...im lucky to be here right now...if that thing hit the tank...omg.

after that, i owed him a steering stem, and bars...and he had me switch the throttle back to a thumb. this is my experience and i would never go back to a twist...though i do think they are easier on bikes to use

06-23-2008, 10:47 AM
i cant stand twist throttles especially on quads. I swear if I had a dirtbike I would put a thumb throttle on it

tri5ron
06-23-2008, 10:52 AM
btw-
I use a 1/4 twist, w/ gel grips, and also have a very nice "puck" type steering stabilizer. (you can read more about that on the CNC Stabilizer thread).

I've been riding for 35+ years, and have always had a twist throttle. It just feels more natural to me.

My wifes 250ex has a thumb throttle, and I don't like it as much.
She is a novice rider, has said she dosen't think she would like a twist grip, but has complained that her thumb/hand gets sore and cramped quickly.
We are going to try a longer thumb lever for her, but if that dosen't cure her problem, we will probably go to the dual action twist/thumb throttle.

krt400ex
06-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
i cant stand twist throttles especially on quads. I swear if I had a dirtbike I would put a thumb throttle on it

same here

Ruby Soho
06-23-2008, 02:06 PM
i love twist on bikes, and thumb on quads. i dont think id like twist on a quad, and a thumb on a bike im not sure how that would be, id like to try it though

trx400EXtreme
06-23-2008, 03:00 PM
i'm not partial to either one, i ride quads and bikes. most the time in the same day. i can go back and forth between the two and not have a problem. the dual gasser thing saounds like a good idea.

hypersnyper6947
06-23-2008, 04:16 PM

I agree 100% i hate twist throttles i always feel like im going to kill my self with them, and often i get close

gcart2
06-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by whc
thanks tri5iron, just dont tell my granboys, thanks for the input guys I am going to check out the motion pro, like you said if I dont like it im not put a ton. what I am really trying to prevent is hurting my thump and hand when catching a rock root or tree, do you think having a better grip with the twister will help absorb impacts, later Mild Bill

do you have a steering stabilizer. if not i would strongly suggest one to you. i simple stick stabilizer would make a night and day difference. however if you would like to spoil yourself and precision and or elka puck style eliminates nearly all of jurks when catching rocks and or roots.

Hondamaster5505
06-23-2008, 04:27 PM

Because of the other guys, x4

lol. I hate twist especially on quads. It isnt too bad on bikes though, but still dont like em..

gcart2
06-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
Because of the other guys, x4

lol. I hate twist especially on quads. It isnt too bad on bikes though, but still dont like em..

well turing is real hard on a quad with twist cause you have to reach for the twist. on a dirtbike you are capable of leaning the dirtbike around corners so there is no reaching in order to hit the throttle... if that makes any since.

whc
06-24-2008, 03:53 PM
ok guys theres only one way to find out what I think, I ordered a motion pro throttle today,will report back next week with part 2. just for the record I have been riding four wheelers since honda started making them about 1973???? and I have been riding bikes since 1964, I have a lot of time on dirt bikes and quads but did not start racing a quad till I was 56 years old some it will be interesting to see want I think. I am most concerned with reducing hand injuries mainly to my throttle hand and thump. Mild Bill

whc
06-24-2008, 03:56 PM
forgot to mention I have a stick type dampener on it and yes it definetly helps, but amybe I should just try missing the trees Mild Bill