PDA

View Full Version : Help!

HornetEX
06-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Hey guys i'm new to the forum. I just bought a 400ex, today i was riding and i noticed there was oil spraying out by my leg so i shut it off. After looking i found out the drain plug was gone. Oil leaked out for about another minute, when i brought it home i tried filling it back up with oil and no oil will go into the crankcase. I can only get a little more than a quart into the resevoir, any ideas on whats going on?

tri5ron
06-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by HornetEX
Hey guys i'm new to the forum. I just bought a 400ex, today i was riding and i noticed there was oil spraying out by my leg so i shut it off. After looking i found out the drain plug was gone. Oil leaked out for about another minute, when i brought it home i tried filling it back up with oil and no oil will go into the crankcase. I can only get a little more than a quart into the resevoir, any ideas on whats going on?

the oil capacity is only 1.95 qts, when you drain it AND change out the oil filter also.

I'm quessing that it still has some oil in it, and did not completly drain out.

click your red kill button to the off position, and turn your key on, and crank it over for 30 seconds or so.
then check your oil level on your dipstick.

if it reads the same, then I'd figure that it is ok.

if it reads a little low, then add a little more oil, and crank it over again, and re-check the oil level.

i'd say you are lucky to have stopped it as soon as you noticed it, and probably didn't do any serious damage.