PDA

View Full Version : GNCC Limited Class Air Filter Help

FISH ON!
06-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Yadkinville this weekend sure wasn't like all those other muddy GNCC races this year. It was a big dust bowl that I wasn't prepared for. It was my son Zach's first GNCC race. His quad ran great until the dust plugged the stock filter half way into the first lap (5.5 mile track.) We learned our first XC lesson about air filters. I read the posts before about keeping them dry....... now I have to figure out how to keep them clean in extreme dust conditions and you would have to be there to get an appreciation for how dusty it really was. His quad cut-off once on the first lap and twice on the second lap and bogged really bad. We'll take his 16th place finish out of 19 racers.

Thanks to Ty Merriman for helping us get oriented on our first GNCC race and helping us diagnose the problem. We took the stock snorkle & filter off, slapped on a clean UNI and she ran great again.

Any creative ideas on a GNCC limited class legal filter arrangment that's good in dusty conditions? We'll have to figure out the wet condition arrangement as well.

Thanks also to Marc at Hot Quads. My son loves his HOT Quads DRR. Also thanks to Gary at G-Force Motorsports for hooking us up with the new XFR Skid plate. It wasn't rocky up there but I noticed my son managed to find a few rocks to drag it across and the XFR plate held up well.

forgiven
06-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Outerwares seem to do well in wet and in dusty conditions.

humboldt hills
06-26-2008, 05:13 AM
we run the uni and outerwear on the snorkle. The outer wear was 100% coated when we got done in yadkinville, but still ran fine. I cannot believe you didn't have to change your jetting with that drastic of a change. Ty is a great guy. We usually pit with him, len, chuck and the rest of the crew.
Stop by and say hi in PA.

mmsoup
06-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Eli and Kira ran UNI's and Outerwears and all went well. Thanks Mr. Fallon. As for the wet conditions, Humboldt was kind enough to point us in the right direction there and we are most appreciative. Eli was running in wet conditions while practicing last week with no issues. BTW Eli ran a 6th in his first GNCC last week in 70 Limited.
Everyone in our camp is looking forward to PA

FISH ON!
06-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Good feedback all........... I'll be sure not to let my son read all this or he'll fire his rookie mechanic since we had a UNI filter and outerware in the truck. We just weren't sure about the rules and we got there to late to ask. We can't make PA but hope to make the long journey for one of the Fall events to get him a little more practice for next year.

We're still figuring out how to strap the qaud to a Honda Civic to save a little gas on those road trips !!! lol

Todd Jones

humboldt hills
06-27-2008, 05:27 AM
Fish on, not sure where you are at? But we have a good turn out for miniatvs in the Southern Ohio Cross Country Series.
Check our site if interested;
www.soccracing.com
Next race is tomorrow!