PDA

View Full Version : How many paddles should i run?

gixxerfreak01
06-22-2008, 07:21 PM
I have a 04 450r baldwin full exhaust, JE 13:1 piston, hotcams Stage 2 cam, port and polish, +1 exhaust vavles, esr intake, running close to 50 HP and im running 7 paddles skat trak extremes and it seems to be spining them at the drags and makes me take off slow so I was wondering if i should run 8 or 9 paddles extremes and if i did would i be able to power them?

sparksmakefire
06-22-2008, 08:44 PM
well from what ive noticed with paddles they need to be able to spin. it helps to try and test out a few other paddle types too. with the stock 450er im getting im planning on running a 8 paddle itp sand star. but with all the mods you have a 7 paddle isnt enough for you. your quad has the power to turn bigger tires effectively find a buddy who has some 8 or 9 paddle extremes and do some trial runs and see if you like it. there are a lot of people here at the local dunes here that would be more than interested in swapping paddles for a little bit just to test them.

Unlukky
06-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Run 4-Snows, you'll gain(drop) 2 tenths.

HB-Roost
06-23-2008, 06:41 AM
*All riding areas and conditions with greatly change how well a tire works.

I run a somewhat similar build and my 21x12x8 8 paddle Hauler ultralights work perfect for me. You want your tires to spin, the trick is finding the right amount of throttle and gearing to pull just right. My bike pulls just as hard and sometimes harder than drag bikes with more tires. I have run many 8, 9, and 10 paddle setups and less is more.

BTW, don't forget the trick to sand tires is a tire with a lot of rollout and not a ton of paddles. Also, you want no larger than an 8x8 wheel, and wheels with less width (such as 8x7) work better for drags. Small tires are garbage for these bikes....my tall 8 paddles are a different world from my smaller 20s. If you are running small paddles that could also be your problem, but as far as paddles in general are concerned, you will probably be better off with something close to what you have.

Lastly, don't forget to look at the carcass style with paddles such as Skat Traks. The new 21s are usually the old, rounder style carcass. This is much better because it gives you a taller tire with less overall contact and therefore drag. They are also better because they tend to squat and mold to the sand for takeoff and grow better on the big end. Some of the new 22s are the "bad" carcass, and can actually be smaller than the 21s. If you can get pictures, without having the info at hand, you can tell by the design of the paddles - the newer, "bad" carcass will look flat and almost square, whereas the older, "good" carcass will look noticably rounder and not have as much width.

You may be able to tell from these...
This is a "bad" carcass....it looks almost flat at low/normal pressure.

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3420/goingdown066iy1.jpg

TWISTED DINLI
06-23-2008, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Unlukky
Run 4-Snows, you'll gain(drop) 2 tenths.

nah get pro wedge or pro wedge 2's if you can find them bc they hook up real good.. better than 4-snow's

BadinBlack
06-23-2008, 11:29 AM
super light haulers 8 paddle 22X11X8 would work awsome.