PDA

View Full Version : A Arms Help Please

tahoe97
11-08-2001, 05:38 PM
Hello i have a 2001 400ex the bike is about 3 months old.. I jump it pretty hard and far i am about 210 pounds.. I looked at my front right lower a arm and where it is welded the paint is cracking.. I am taking it this is where is stressed it.. Because on that same side i jumped so hard once i bent a set of MSR carbon steel bars in one jump..

What do i need to do to make the bike stronger for jumps?
replace the a -arms with factory ones and get some better shocks
or keep the shocks and get heavy duty a-arms..
i do not have alot of money to spend at all so the cheapest parts and suggestions are apreciated

thanks

------------------------------------------
2001 Yellow 400ex
Pro Circuit t-4
Renthal's
Modded Air Box
14 tooth

Guy400
11-08-2001, 06:07 PM
People probably won't believe that I'm about to say this but, if money is really an issue for you, buy a set of Works shocks. While they're not the best aftermarket shock they are definitely better than stock.

Foxrage
11-08-2001, 06:32 PM
Get them both get some houser +2 a-arms and some good pep or axis shocks.

trueblue450
11-08-2001, 08:03 PM
Well the way it sounds, is that you already broke your a-arm. Since youll have to buy new, and stock are expensive anyways, getyourself some aftermarket a-arms. They should hold up for awhile until you can save your money for some good aftermarket suspension, and yes works will work well for what you do, but if your spendin the$ you might as well look into some Elkas.

Mity Mo
11-08-2001, 08:23 PM
Keep your eyes peeled on www.ebay.com in the search area type in 250r and 400ex. You can find hella cheap a-arms and shocks. With your weight you really need both. Dont feel bad I weigh in at 250. I know the perils of stock crap. They were built for 160lbs guys not like us. I would definitely recommend buying both before you go out jumping big again.

quadfamily
11-11-2001, 07:25 AM
If you want to just replace your stock a-arm for now it's only around $33-34 from Service Honda or Marcums for a complete one.

11-13-2001, 10:44 AM
YOu need new aftermarket shocks,,before long you'll blow the seals on your shocks then you'll be in really bad shape..

11-16-2001, 07:37 AM
I have had a crack in the same spot, eventually my shock mount broke off. I had one of my friends weld it at his shop, and it has been fine for almost a year. I'm 240lbs, and even us big guys like to fly.