PDA

View Full Version : Help please !!!

hypersnyper6947
06-21-2008, 08:25 PM
So i just finished rebuilding my engine, i put in a new cylinder sleave, a new 89mm piston, new rings, cometic gaskets, stage 2 hotcam, heavy duty studs and of coarse oil and oil filter. So i was riding it today to break it in, nice in easy for the first 10 min to break in the cam, then onto some 1/2 to 3/4 throttle acceleration to seat the rings. After the first 10 min. all of the sudden it sounded like a turkey gobbling underneath me and the engine would shut off. Then i waited like 1 min. and it started right up and i was riding again. Then in about 5 min it would do the same turkey noise and shut off. It did this about 3 or 4 times... but it would start right back up every time. What the hell is going on here. I took the 4 valve adjustment covers off and everything looks good, there is oil up there the valves feel like they did after i had adjusted them. Somebody please help me.

rideracelivemx7
06-21-2008, 08:30 PM
lmao a turkey?? could you refrain that haha what do you ahev done to the carb? hope your not running stock jets with that exhaust. you sure you didnt take it to hard on the new top end? i went threw a solid tank of gas nice and easy before i even thought of gettin on it

hypersnyper6947
06-21-2008, 08:38 PM
The carb is a lectron, the guy who had the bike before me put it on. He said its an awesome expensive carb. Anyways i know that he had it at a 440 with 12.5:1 compression and ran 123 octane, that is what the carb is jetted to. I have it at a 440 with 11:1 and i run 93 with octane booster.

speedfoxracing
06-21-2008, 08:41 PM
is it when u give it gas or just randomly shut make the noise and shut off

hypersnyper6947
06-21-2008, 09:02 PM
The first time it happend is when i was giving it gas, i had just shifted to forth and was on it about 1/2 throttle and it did that. After that it kinda happend randomly in what ever gear i was in not just forth.

hypersnyper6947
06-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Does anyone have any ideas what this could be at all?

rideracelivemx7
06-22-2008, 04:19 PM
well first, how does it start and run at first. normal power normal start or hard start. check for compression.120psi i believe is a good head. you sure you didnt go to hard on the new top end? other than that im not to sure. you have good flow with the carb. hows the intake? possibly choking out on to much gas and not enough air. motors can be tempermental like that

GPracer2500
06-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Describe the sound more.

Is it metallic? Just strange exhaust noise? Where does it seem to be coming from?

If it happens, then goes away, and then runs normal again, it doesn't seem like it could be hard-part damage. Those problems aren't likely to be intermittent. So that leaves electrical or fuel. Both of those can be intermittent but I'm guessing it's a fueling issue because 1) carbs generally have trouble more often then electrical stuff and 2) you've got an aftermarket carb.

Just speculating but here's a possible explanation to your problem: The "turkey gobbling" is the sound of the engine being starved for gas, causing it to stall. It starts up again because the causes of fuel starvation aren't often on/off. The situation gets worse and worse until eventually the engine is effected. After some period of being shut off things settle back to square one.

So going off that theory, I'd check the carb over. Pay particular attention to any vent lines, fuel inlet lines, the float, and the float valve. Also, make sure the petcock isn't restricting flow and make sure the gas cap is venting properly.

Don't Lectrons have clear float bowls? Try looking just as it happens and make sure it's not nearly empty (or empty).

It could be something else entirely. But given what we've got to go on, a fuel problem is my best guess.

hypersnyper6947
06-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by rideracelivemx7
well first, how does it start and run at first. normal power normal start or hard start. check for compression.120psi i believe is a good head. you sure you didnt go to hard on the new top end? other than that im not to sure. you have good flow with the carb. hows the intake? possibly choking out on to much gas and not enough air. motors can be tempermental like that

it starts like a champion everytime it runs great i havent even got into any hard acceleration yet so i know that i have not been to hard on the new top end. Im going to look into the air flow and carb when i ride it on wednesday. It has a k&n with an open airbox lid so i think there is enough air, all the air tubes look good.

hypersnyper6947
06-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500

Don't Lectrons have clear float bowls? Try looking just as it happens and make sure it's not nearly empty (or empty).

Yean i forgot to look but i thought of that also, i am going to ride again very soon possibly tomorrow and i will update you guys

thanks