PDA

View Full Version : hitting the gym, any working out tips?

450raider
06-21-2008, 08:24 PM
i just got a 30 day membership to a gym and am looking to chiesel up a bit:D.... but how? i know this question is about lame but seriously the fisrt day i went was yesterday and i did some leg weightlifting (about 120lbs 30 times) and legs are fine but i did alot of 60 lb lifting and im paying for it today and i couldnt hardly move my arms anf my chest is sore as hello, so is there a "proper procedure" (like start with weights or not, how much, how many times ect.) and although i am a little fat i have no interest in losing the weight cause im convinced its all genetics and here to stay....but i could chiesel it, and thats what i aim on doing in 30 days (or 27 starting monday) so if anyone has any tips or anything shoot em my way, i could use it

thanks

06-21-2008, 08:44 PM
spend a day finding your max on everything, then start with percentages after that 1 day 55% of your max, 60%, 65%, 70%... dont try and rush ahead just build up using percentages. 3 sets of 12 is what you want to do for each. Dont rush ahead even though 55% of your max may not sound like a lot you have to start building up to it. Decide wha machines to use on certain days too, make somewhat of a schedule like 1 day bench, dips, squats, leg curls, military press the next day step ups, lunges, arm curls, skull crushers, leg extensions.

You want to balance it out between legs and arms. Those i mentioned are most of the things I do for cross country practice and after a work out I run between 3 and 7 miles depending on the day. Make sure you have a spotter to find your maxes and most of all have fun. Just think ofhow strong and fit you will be if you stick to it.

eastcoastpro20
06-21-2008, 11:36 PM
at football
we would do 70% of our max
3 sets of 12
do upperbody one day, then lower the next day
then we would take thursdays off to run
i realized the biggest diffrence ever after about 2 weeks in my riding

mxraptor149
06-22-2008, 07:52 AM
You definitely want to develop a routine. For example,

Mondays: I work out my chest, triceps and ab muscles. I do a minimum of three sets of three different exercises each. I also include a cardio/full body workout by swimming for 10 to 15 minutes.

Tuesdays: I take the day off but usually go for a 20 minute ride on my mountain bike

Wednesdays: Biceps and laterals. For biceps, I do four sets of reps for three exercises. Lats I do four exercises three sets of reps, generally between 8 and 12 reps. Abs as well, with swimming thrown in.

Thursdays: Off, again a possible bike ride.

Friday: Shoulders and legs. Three sets of exercises for shoulders, between 8 to 10 reps three times per exercise. Two different exercises for legs at 20 reps. Swimming.

Weekends, I'm on my quad.

A routine is key. Don't just go into the gym and pick random weights and machines to use. You're not going to develop muscle sets that way. Good luck, 27 days is an extremely short period of time to work out and expect "chiseled" results.

xtullyx16
06-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by mxraptor149

Mondays: I work out my chest, triceps and ab muscles. I do a minimum of three sets of three different exercises each. I also include a cardio/full body workout by swimming for 10 to 15 minutes.

Tuesdays: I take the day off but usually go for a 20 minute ride on my mountain bike

Wednesdays: Biceps and laterals. For biceps, I do four sets of reps for three exercises. Lats I do four exercises three sets of reps, generally between 8 and 12 reps. Abs as well, with swimming thrown in.

Friday: Shoulders and legs. Three sets of exercises for shoulders, between 8 to 10 reps three times per exercise. Two different exercises for legs at 20 reps. Swimming.

A routine is key. Don't just go into the gym and pick random weights and machines to use. You're not going to develop muscle sets that way. Good luck, 27 days is an extremely short period of time to work out and expect "chiseled" results.

Mxraptor thats a pretty good workout except that you want to keep shoulders and chest on the same day because u are working shoulders both chest day and shoulder day.. thats a little to much stress on them.. but also the most IMPORTANT thing when ur lifting is nutrition, you can workout everyday and do everything perfect but never see the results u want because u go home everyday and eat mcdonalds.. lifting is 70% nutrition and 30% weights and cardio

xtullyx16
06-22-2008, 10:48 AM

Mxraptor thats a pretty good workout except that you want to keep shoulders and chest on the same day because u are working shoulders both chest day and shoulder day.. thats a little to much stress on them.. but also the most IMPORTANT thing when ur lifting is nutrition, you can workout everyday and do everything perfect but never see the results u want because u go home everyday and eat mcdonalds.. lifting is 70% nutrition and 30% weights and cardio

Warnerade
06-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by xtullyx16
Mxraptor thats a pretty good workout except that you want to keep shoulders and chest on the same day because u are working shoulders both chest day and shoulder day.. thats a little to much stress on them.. but also the most IMPORTANT thing when ur lifting is nutrition, you can workout everyday and do everything perfect but never see the results u want because u go home everyday and eat mcdonalds.. lifting is 70% nutrition and 30% weights and cardio orrr you could just keep chest and shoulder day as far apart as possible. If you work out properly...you shouldnt be able to do shoulders after a full chest workout.

xtullyx16
06-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by NacsRacer027
orrr you could just keep chest and shoulder day as far apart as possible. If you work out properly...you shouldnt be able to do shoulders after a full chest workout.

Why wouldnt u be able to do ur shoulder after doing a proper full chest workout? the way u worded that helps my point that when u do chest u also use ur shoulders soo why workthem out a diff part of the week, when you could do 2-3 shoulder workouts after ur chest workout and be done with shoulders for the week AND you wouldnt possibly be over training them like you would if you had a chest day and shoulder day....

xtullyx16
06-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Also try and eat a good meal before like ( baked potato, oatmeal, sweet potatoe, etc) anything with complex carbs... then after ur workout look to get in a wholesome meal with a good amount of protien i.e chicken with broccoli or just drink a 1.5 scoops of whey protient and put sum glutamine in it..

Warnerade
06-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by xtullyx16
Why wouldnt u be able to do ur shoulder after doing a proper full chest workout? the way u worded that helps my point that when u do chest u also use ur shoulders soo why workthem out a diff part of the week, when you could do 2-3 shoulder workouts after ur chest workout and be done with shoulders for the week AND you wouldnt possibly be over training them like you would if you had a chest day and shoulder day.... You also use your triceps for chest and shoulders. I'm not going to argue this with you...if you train both on the same day not only are you not getting a good lift in for the second set of muscle you are trying to hit, you are also puttin a LOT of strain on your rotary cuff for one day.

Trust me kid, keep them as far apart as possible.

xtullyx16
06-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by NacsRacer027
You also use your triceps for chest and shoulders. I'm not going to argue this with you...if you train both on the same day not only are you not getting a good lift in for the second set of muscle you are trying to hit, you are also puttin a LOT of strain on your rotary cuff for one day.

Trust me kid, keep them as far apart as possible.

Im not trying to argue either im just tryin to get this kid to lift right.. i always thought that lifting it on the same day as chest would be better but maybe not.. and please dont call me kid im 18

mxraptor149
06-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Astute observations.

That's why I put three days between my chest and shoulder days. Three days after my chest workout before I do shoulders, and three days after my shoulder workout before I do chest again. I have plenty of recovery time and my shoulders are one of my strongest muscle groups. Also, aside from my legs, probably one of the areas of my body I use the most when riding.

I know some guys who will do a similar routine where they don't take any days off. Three days in a row, then they start all over again and just vary weights and exercises but still work the same basic muscle sets twice a week. It can be done, but not every week. Personally I don't recommend it.

There are also routines where you can work out your shoulders a few days a week, it just involves multiple varied workouts.

The point about nutrition is right. If you're not eating right, you might as well not lift or exercise.

I should have mentioned this before, but you should pick up some copies of Men's Fitness or Men's Health magazines to help you build a routine.

Also, check out RacerX magazine's virtual trainer. Good stuff there, too.

8my_Cash
06-24-2008, 08:41 AM
The best advice is to find a work otu that is best for you and tailored to what you want.

It you want to get big you need something different than if you wanted to get cut.

From what I noticed on this thread there is some great advice given. Try out what everyone else had said and see what works best for you. :)

dirtbike&quad
06-24-2008, 03:42 PM
My first suggestion is to increase your membership to atleast a year. 30 days isn't long enough.

My second best suggestion is making sure your form is correct. Ask an instructor at the gym for help, don't be afraid to go light at first.

Use protein powder, it helps a lot.

Find a workout on the internet. i know wannabebig.com has some good workout programs, maybe take one of their generic ones and use that.

Good luck either way

bansheeguy
06-24-2008, 10:06 PM
www.T-Nation.com
www.elitefts.com

why not go to guys that know what they are talking about?

SPDSNYPR
06-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Astute observations.

That's why I put three days between my chest and shoulder days. Three days after my chest workout before I do shoulders, and three days after my shoulder workout before I do chest again. I have plenty of recovery time and my shoulders are one of my strongest muscle groups. Also, aside from my legs, probably one of the areas of my body I use the most when riding.

I know some guys who will do a similar routine where they don't take any days off. Three days in a row, then they start all over again and just vary weights and exercises but still work the same basic muscle sets twice a week. It can be done, but not every week. Personally I don't recommend it.

There are also routines where you can work out your shoulders a few days a week, it just involves multiple varied workouts.

The point about nutrition is right. If you're not eating right, you might as well not lift or exercise.

I should have mentioned this before, but you should pick up some copies of Men's Fitness or Men's Health magazines to help you build a routine.

Also, check out RacerX magazine's virtual trainer. Good stuff there, too.

Listen to this guy. This is sound advice. I have had to have one shoulder rebuilt, and likely the other is to follow (offensive lineman back when I played footbal, power lifting team, then 7 years in the Marine Corps all conspired to destroy my shoulders).

Your shoulders are very susceptible to injury from over-exertion because of the unique structure of the joint. Many things can go wrong quickly and with little warning. Among weight-lifters around here, knees and shoulders are the most common injuries.

And start slowly - your muscle gains will not be great if you injure yourself early on. Work on form - even if you are just pushing a bar. Make sure you get it right, because bad habit are very hard to break expecially under stress (heavy loads).

And 30 days is a warm-up. Get on a long-term program.

Warnerade
06-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by bansheeguy
www.T-Nation.com
www.elitefts.com

why not go to guys that know what they are talking about? because aside from the kids who dont know what they are talking, there are guys here that know what there talking about also...

jesseweaver
06-25-2008, 08:23 PM
the best tip i have is get a job:D i lift big feed bags around all day, 50, 80, 100 pounders, and when that gets to light you just use 2 bags. and im doin itt like 8 hours a day and the best part is, instead of paying for a gym membership, you get paid to do it. but i know its not as good as a gym:ermm:

Mr. Big Time
06-25-2008, 09:11 PM
WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT SPEND A DAY TRYING TO FIGURE OUT YOUR MAX.

-Always stretch before lifting.
-Then Warm up on a tread mill, or bike, or something for 10 min, at a med pace ( just enough to get your heart going)
-Begin Lifting.

-Never work out upper and lower body on the same day.
-Never do the same work out two days in a row.
-Always besure your really sore the next day..(you will actually be more sore two days after the work out)
-Invest in some sort of protein.....males do not us soy protein! It will up you estrogen levels.

I don't know what you lool like so It is kind of hard, but you said you want to get chizzled, so I'm guessing your somewhat skinny. Here is a work out schedule.

Monday-Upper Body:
-Curls (Barbell): 3 sets; 15, 12, 10
-Hammer Curls (w/ dumbells, hold it like a hammer): 3 sets; 15,12,10
-Shoulder shrugs (add weight to a 45lb bar, hold straight down, and pull shoulders up to ears): 3 sets; 15,12,10
-Use somesort of shoulder machine ( most will also work on biceps,or triceps): 3 sets; 15,12,10
-Tricep workout( It's hard to explain w/o showing, youtube something) 3 sets/two workouts; 15,12,10
-Chest( do not bench press w/o spotter): 3-4 sets; 15,12,10,8-10
-Back work outs (including lats): 2-3 workouts..3 sets; 15,12,10

(If that sounds like alot for one day, then split it between monday and thursday.)

Tuesday-Lower Body:
-Squats(be sure not to go below parallel, so you that you work out you hamstring too): 4 sets; 15,12,10
-Leg extension: 3sets; 15,12,10
-Leg curls: 3 sets; 15,12,10
-Butt Blaster or glute machine: 3 sets; 15,12,10
-Run or abs ( keep it a good moderate run for about 20-30 minutes, good way to burn fat.)

Wed-RUN
-If you didn't abs the day before, then do them today, and Run like hell, do a good 30-60 min good cardio run. Bring a book and read it, or bring a friend a talk like there is no tomorrow, that will certainly kill the time.

Thursday- Upper Body Again

Friday-Lower Body Again

Sat/Sun- Do nothing but enjoy your self and eat like crap.

More tips:
-Breathing: While you would lift the weight up, you need to breath out your mouth, and while you bring the weight down you need to breath into your nose. Practice that before going to the gym.
-Timming: When you bring the weight up you need to count it like; one and a two and a three and a---this is wear the weight should be all the way up; then let it back down like- one and a two and a three and a...the weight should be back down.
-Figure out your the amount of calories you need:
male; take your body weight multiply it by 24 and divid it by 2.2
female; body weight x 21 divided by 2.2
This number would be the amount of calories you need to have to keep your body weight, if you were to do absolutly nothing in your life but lay on a couch. But since you not doing that add atleat 1500 calories to that, I don't know what you do besides working out, but I'm sure you get the point.
- Sleep at least 7 hours a night, 8 is best. Trust me, if you want to get some muscles built, that is what you need to do.
- Keep fat foods to a min.
-Carbs are good, but there are two kinds- complex, and simple
Complex Carbs are good and are found in foods like, pasta, grown up type cerials, wheat bread, energy bars. Simple are bad and are found in foods like, jelly, chips, cookies...you get the point.
- If you work out alot and real hard, you need alot of protein. You need to find out what your body weight is in kilograms, and thats how many grams of protein you need in one day, which isn't hard. If you use a protein shake that has like 50 grams in it, however many amount of scoops your supposed to use, use half of it in the morning, and the other half within 30 min of working out.
- I would get at least 2-3 sessions with a personal trainer, so that you can learn proper form.
-Buy a book and read it.

Hopefully I havent filled you brain with confusion and scared you away from the gym. I have been doing this for a while and it works well for me. I have also passed this on to other people and it has worked well for them too. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at damon_223@hotmail.com

Warnerade
06-25-2008, 09:17 PM
theres a lot in your routine that I completely disagree with...but i dont feel like getting into all of that...but eat like crap on both of your days off?

Thats probably one of the worst things you can do...

KingpinsEx
06-26-2008, 09:03 AM
First off your goal to get "chiseled" is secondary. If you are new to lifting you need to develope alot of "base" strength first. As everyone said start out light with alot of reps ex. 3 sets of 12 reps with good form. Lifting more weight without proper extension is just wasting your time and asking for injury.

After about a month or two of developing that "base strength" meaning you can perform the same routine easily and without being sore you can start lifting heavier, i personally like pymarids ex. 12,10,8 or 10, 8, 6. Each set you go down on reps increase weight gradually. To get "chisled" you need to develope the muscel first then all you need to do is watch your diet.

My best recommendation for strategy is lift only 3 days a week with everyother day off as well as weekends.
ex.
Mon - Chest and tris

Wed. - Back and Bis

Fri. - Shoulders and legs

You want to isolate the muscel group you are working on so go light on the weight but perform around six seperate lifts for each muscel group. With your body type you should see gains fast! :macho

Quad18star
06-26-2008, 09:10 AM
My best advice ... ask a trainer at the gym. Most gyms offer a trainer to help you out the first couple of times and will develop a workout tailored to you.