PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Taillight

Mitragorz
06-21-2008, 05:17 PM
The previous owner removed the taillight bc he kept breaking it doing wheelies. Well, I am in the process of reattaching a light, and generic 3-wire light I got at autozone. Until I get the brake switch, I'm hookin git up as a normal taillight.

Obviously I can't hook it up directly to the battery; it would never shut off. I referred to a wiring diagram I pulled up online (http://img529.imageshack.us/my.php?image=400wiretz2.jpg) and it shows the taillight being connected to a green and a brown wire. It looks like the green is ground, so the brown must be hot. I found the plug connectors where the taillight would (I assume) attach to, but it doesn't seem that I'm getting any power to the brown wire with the key on.

I really don't want to dig around in the system trying to figure out why that wire isn't getting any power. All I need is one wire, anwhere, that only gets power when the key is on. Preferably near the back of the bike.

Ideas?

DementeD
06-21-2008, 05:49 PM
i see u power the bike with the key..but are u turning on the actual lights?

Mitragorz
06-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Sometimes the simplest solutions are the ones overlooked. Having the light switch on changes everything!

Good call DementeD, thanks.

DementeD
06-21-2008, 06:28 PM
welcome hopefully thats the only issue u were having..
normally when ur working on the stuff u do overlook the easiest things

Mitragorz
06-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Yeah man, it's all working well now. I've just got to wait for the brake switch to come in, and I'll be set.