PDA

View Full Version : need help ASAP! lost spark

MichiganMOOSE79
06-21-2008, 11:06 AM
went to start the ex up today and to my suprise it wouldnt start, pulled the plug and checked for spark nothing. went got new plug still nothing, looked for lose wires nothing , is there any way to test the coil? I got her pretty wet 2 weeks ago at the dunes but have since cleaned and maintenance her, rode her couple times but not much, please any help would be great suppose to go on trail ride tomorrow,

06-21-2008, 11:34 AM
you can test it by holding your finger on the end of the spark plug wire and pushing the ignition button but I DONT recomend it, my friend has done it lol funny watching him jump from being shocked... idiot lol

TRX_450
06-21-2008, 11:56 AM
check your killswitch (the little orange one) i know it sounds stupid but the same thing happened to me and it took me 3 days to figure it out..it was barely moved one way and was just enough to not let it start.

MichiganMOOSE79
06-21-2008, 12:08 PM
i tried moving the kill switch back forth and tried to start but no luck, i also removed plug and layed it across header pipe and pushed start button and no spark, with new plug. i think this would elimante me from having to put my finger on it?

TRX_450
06-21-2008, 12:17 PM
clean your coil

MichiganMOOSE79
06-21-2008, 12:31 PM
the connections on the coil?

TRX_450
06-21-2008, 01:10 PM
yea...wire brush and wd-40

leasureryan
06-21-2008, 04:41 PM
stick a screw driver into the coil, hole it by handle, hold the screw driver very still extremely close to the block, but not touching. If everything is good....it will arch to your cylinder

we also have coil testing machines at the shop, they plug into wall, then hook it up to machine, press button, instant results!

speedfoxracing
06-21-2008, 07:39 PM
make sure all your grounds are good and nothing is lose anywhere

rideracelivemx7
06-21-2008, 08:17 PM
i suggest investing in a 10$ test light at your nearest autoparts store. test the stator plate first. if theres power coming out of the wire.(not sure wich one is power) then your fine and trace it. i know coils can short easily. but yeah test light. check at the power source and everything inbetween, not much more if youve checked your connections

speedfoxracing
06-21-2008, 08:37 PM
if that all works out fine do the same thing and get a ohms reading and check all the parts. also check the resitance in the wires and see if theres alot or none

MichiganMOOSE79
06-22-2008, 05:16 AM
well i thought i would try putting the stock cdi box back on real quick just for $hits and giggles and low and behold the old girl fired right up, my rev box must of got wet and shorted out! thanks for all the help guys, its nice to know its there, well off to ride the sweet trails of northern michigan!:devil: