PDA

View Full Version : Car stereo problem.

BranMan
06-21-2008, 08:51 AM
There are alot of smart people on here so hopefully someone can help me out. I just recently installed a stereo system in my truck the system consists of a pioneer head unit, Rockford amp, and 2 rockford P1 subs nothin special but works for me. So now that i have all that installed i now have excesive engine noise coming throught my speakers. If anyone can tell me why and help me solve the problem that would b great..
Thanks alot,
Branson

sparksmakefire
06-21-2008, 08:55 AM
did you use a wiring harness? and check the grounds also you can purchase a noise filter it runs inline with your rca cables.

BranMan
06-21-2008, 09:00 AM
yeah i used a harness.. But the weird thing is that i had a different head unit and amp installed 4 about a month prior to this set up and i had no problem. between the to i didnt change the ground or anything. And this head unit and amp came out of another vehilce of mine which didnt have any engine noise. im so confused

Giz400ex
06-22-2008, 05:15 AM
I had a prob like this and changed the ground wire, it worked:D

<DRS>GPF
06-22-2008, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Giz400ex
I had a prob like this and changed the ground wire, it worked:D

i think thats the ticket..

attached separate case grounds to the amp and head unit to see if it helps.

gojk
06-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Yup, also don't run your amp power wires along side the RCA cables. RCAs down one side of the car, power down the other.

xtullyx16
06-22-2008, 12:59 PM
yeah i would check you ground wire.. not to high jack ur thread but i got a quick question.. i have 2 12'' rockford subs p2's (500 watt peak power) and a 1000 watt mono amp.. and when i turn the base up high the subs cut out .. i also noticed when i turn up the base that on my amp the protection light kicks on when they cut out.. is this my amp or subs that are causing this?? and another thing that worries my is that my amp gets really hot no matter if i jut have them on or really bumping. neway to cool my amp down??

sparksmakefire
06-22-2008, 01:56 PM
is it cutting out or distorting? if its distorting it means your pushing too much power to your subs and your going to blow them. as for the cooling the amp down you will need to run an external fan. and also yes running the RCA cable next to the power wire will cause the noise. i run the power wire down the side that the battery is on and the rca's under the carpet in the middle.

xtullyx16
06-22-2008, 02:20 PM
complete cut out in most places.. would a compacitor help wiht cooling?

travis283
06-22-2008, 03:09 PM
the noise problem thru the speakers is a ground wire for sure, could be from the head unit amp and as posted earlier make sure rca cables run on side and the power wires are on the other side. If possiable maybe try a short ground wire to your amp.. The second question is the hot amp that can be caused by many things an external fan would for sure help also make sure that the amp is where it can recieve air circulation (sp) A cap may help some it main purpose tho is to help the electical system of the car stay stable under high current draws if you are having problems with dimming lights and such at night time when the stereo is cranked then that is the ticket to help with that..

Travis