PDA

View Full Version : polish/chrome?

300EXrider02
12-01-2002, 07:17 PM
which one is better for polish or shining an axle? what is the difference..i mean i know the diff. but does one last longer or does one have faults? problems? anyone got any pictures of axles chromes or anything chroms or polished:confused:

Bean
12-01-2002, 07:18 PM
here is my chrome Lonestar

Sparks425Ex
12-01-2002, 07:26 PM
Chrome supposivly weakens metal. That is why the A arms and Swing Arm companys have stopped chroming.

RytM1
12-01-2002, 09:06 PM
I have never heard that, but I can tell you that chrome looks better, and is a lot easier to maintain than polished aluminum.

CBW
12-02-2002, 07:39 AM
NACS425EX is correct,,,,

,,,,,,chroming causes hydrogen embrittlement.......

however i have never had any problems with my LSR axle or swing arm..........burt i dont race .......just jump and play alot......

300EXrider02
12-02-2002, 08:52 AM
how much weaker does it mkae it? what if i only did a few small things...how much would this cost? thanks for the replies

racerx573
12-02-2002, 10:48 AM
Chrome does weaken the metal, because of the process the metal goes through. It does look a lot better. I'll stick with the "almost chrome" powdercoat from Pappy :) The only things I would have chromed chassis wise are subframe, upper a-arm, and steering stem. Chrome stems supposedly turn easier at the top bushing due to its smoothness.

Sparks425Ex
12-02-2002, 01:58 PM
Well I have never heard of anything that had to do with Weak axles. I was referring more towards swing arms and a arms that became weaker.

I don;t know mcuh about if an axle will be that much more weaker. I will prolly just have my stem ceramic coated or chrome pced.

I think the Chrome is a waste of money since it is gonna make teh prduct weaker.

racerx573
12-02-2002, 06:14 PM
Dura Blue must use too much chrome on their axles!!! :p :D
I totally forgot about ceramic!! It looks almost just like polished aluminum.

Bean
12-02-2002, 06:27 PM
chrome does not make it as weak as tin foil, it just weakens it slightly, its not a night and day differnce, i personally want everything on the chassi chorme, stem, arms, swingarm, axel, i think it looks awsome

12-02-2002, 06:41 PM
Polishing weaken's it more then chrome ever will....for the simple fact you have to sand away metal till it's completely smooth...then polish...then ride in the mud...then polish...then never ride your quad just polish... I'll never understand why people polish quads...I did my old streetbike and couldn't keep up with it...Later

12-02-2002, 06:44 PM
Also chrome can't weaken the metal that much how many chromed out turd harleys are out there? And they weight what like 23,000 lbs dry? LoL

CBW
12-02-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by WHiTeZ929RR
Polishing weaken's it more then chrome ever will....for the simple fact you have to sand away metal till it's completely smooth...then polish...then ride in the mud...then polish...then never ride your quad just polish... I'll never understand why people polish quads...I did my old streetbike and couldn't keep up with it...Later

Yeah,,,,,,,i have to polish this every minute of every day just to keep it shiney....:rolleyes: .....and yah i never ride it............

NOT.........i use "heavy metal" brand polish and i only polish my stuff once in a while.....if you use a good polish,,,,,,and not mothers either,,(just my o2) you dont have to re-polish that often.......and even if you dont ride in the mud it will eventually react to the atmosphere and oxidize and you will have to clean it up..........but so what

:blah.........oh and im not flamin...just stating my beloved opnion :D

CBW
12-02-2002, 07:13 PM
updated pic.......

Live2Ride300
12-02-2002, 07:23 PM
Shes absolutely beautiful:D

Chef
12-02-2002, 07:45 PM
Yea, I have to polish this all day long and it gets dull just sitting there, plus I think the OIL PRESSURE is developing a crack...:rolleyes: get real, polishing isnt hard to keep up if you use the right polish.

CBW
12-02-2002, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Alky472
Yea, I have to polish this all day long and it gets dull just sitting there, plus I think the OIL PRESSURE is developing a crack...:rolleyes: get real, polishing isnt hard to keep up if you use the right polish.

EXACTLY ;)

nacs400ex
12-03-2002, 02:11 PM
Hey Chris can i see a big pic of your 400ex? To see your color scheme.

12-03-2002, 02:39 PM
Not that hard to keep up?? So scratches from " real " riding doesn't show on polish?

300EXrider02
12-03-2002, 04:18 PM
so chris do u want me to cry because i will looking at that quad, what color is your fram...i like that black type color and design..how much?:D ...tell me if ya wanna sell the quad:D ;)

CBW
12-03-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Honda300Rider
Hey Chris can i see a big pic of your 400ex? To see your color scheme.

Sure....this is for 300EXrider02 also......the frame is mirror black with a lot of prism powder in it..the plastics are stock,,,except for the carbon fiber sides and nose............

and WhiteZ929RR......i dont think you have to tear the *&%* outta the quad to ride it hard......but hey maybe yu like to do that sort of thing:confused:

CBW
12-03-2002, 07:26 PM
closer pic of the frame............

NTPRacing#19
12-04-2002, 12:04 PM
Chris what are your methods for polishing? i polish my stuff with brillo pads and mothers but heck it doesnt come out like that!!! please tell me the steps you do. thanks man

300EXrider02
12-04-2002, 02:57 PM
ooooo.....aaahhhhh:D ....chris i think i am goin to throw your quad in a 3 feet deep mud hole so it could be like all of ours once again....is that powerder coating type expensive? or at lest more expensive? are your motor mounts polished or chromed...where could i have them polished or chromed like that...jeez:eek:

CBW
12-04-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by 300EXrider02
ooooo.....aaahhhhh:D ....chris i think i am goin to throw your quad in a 3 feet deep mud hole so it could be like all of ours once again....is that powerder coating type expensive? or at lest more expensive? are your motor mounts polished or chromed...where could i have them polished or chromed like that...jeez:eek:

Noooooooooooooooooo not the mud,,,,,,,,,:D :eek:

nah,,,,,,,,,it gets muddy...but not overly so.........i just always get it off before i can get any pics of it........

NTPracing#19......i polish my stuff with a 3600 RPM buffing motor with 10" wheels, and tripoli compounds followed up with white rouge......AFTER i smooth everything with grits from 280 to 1200.

300exrider,,,,,,,i could polish it up but you will have to pm me and let me know specifically what you want done and i can give you a price...........

everything shiney on my 400 is polished by me.....except of course my nerfs and rims and axle.......

the powderocat on my frame i did........and yes it is a bit more expensive than a regular solid color

ny300exrider
12-04-2002, 03:41 PM
here is my chrome durablue or durabend...been good for me so far.(my freind on it not me)

gun32boarder
12-04-2002, 03:59 PM
chris do u spray a clear coat afer you polish does it help

CBW
12-04-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by gun32boarder
chris do u spray a clear coat afer you polish does it help

i dont have any stuff on mine but clear powder coat on stuff and it is all good..........like these calipers which would not tarnish.......

NacsRacing400
12-04-2002, 04:45 PM
Pm me with a price to polish my front calipers like those and clear coat them. Also give me a separat price with the front brake calipers and my crf450 side cases polished to a mirror and clearcoated.

CBW
12-04-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by NacsRacing400
Pm me with a price to polish my front calipers like those and clear coat them. Also give me a separat price with the front brake calipers and my crf450 side cases polished to a mirror and clearcoated.

Pm'ed ya

300EXrider02
12-04-2002, 05:08 PM
hmmm....if i had you do some smaller things for me, would the polish tint or whatever stay on there forever pretty much..or would i have to do somehtin to it? say like the motor mounts...shifter, brake lever whatever...who could do powder coat for me in my area? auto body shop?? casue i guess ill have them to the big things

CBW
12-04-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by 300EXrider02
hmmm....if i had you do some smaller things for me, would the polish tint or whatever stay on there forever pretty much..or would i have to do somehtin to it? say like the motor mounts...shifter, brake lever whatever...who could do powder coat for me in my area? auto body shop?? casue i guess ill have them to the big things

If you opted for me to polish any alminum part for your ex,,,,,,,,,and then had me clear powdercoat it it will hold up as good as any other powdercoating..........but if you had me just polish the parts....you would have to maintain it with a high quality polish similar to mothers to keep the oxidation to a minimum...........however i like heavy metal brand polish.

as far as a powdercoater in your area.........check with the body shops....etc........or the harley shops.........yellow pages........etc;)

NTPRacing#19
12-04-2002, 05:41 PM
i pmed you.

Chef
12-04-2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by WHiTeZ929RR
Not that hard to keep up?? So scratches from " real " riding doesn't show on polish?

You dont see any scratches on my side cases? Those have been on for probably 2 months, RACING every weekend, 5 races a night and 3 practice sessions PER NIGHT. But, I guess racing doesnt count as "real" riding?¿

[EDIT] I haven't touched those side cases with anything but soap and water since they have been on, and then I dry them with an air compressor. They haven't had a pin point's amount of any polish on them since they got polished, and yet, they are still perfect?

Chef
12-04-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by CHRIS WATERS
closer pic of the frame............

How the heck did you get your stock brake pedal out of there? I have a hinson pedal to put on, but I tried putting it on before my race one day and I couldnt beat on the stock one hard enough to get it out? (Yes, I took the pin out:o )

CBW
12-04-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Alky472

How the heck did you get your stock brake pedal out of there? I have a hinson pedal to put on, but I tried putting it on before my race one day and I couldnt beat on the stock one hard enough to get it out? (Yes, I took the pin out:o )

well..............it just slipped right off...........really it did.

Chef
12-04-2002, 09:47 PM
Well...maybe mine wont come out because its been there for like 3 years.....:p I will just get a bigger hammer I guess