PDA

View Full Version : YFZ Cam chain slipping? HELP!!

sjthomps04
06-21-2008, 05:25 AM
I think my chain skipped a tooth on the crank. Has anyone heard of this? Do I need to be prepared to buy a chain... is it just the tensioner?

The other theory I heard is that the cam gear which is pressed into the cam, slipped. but this would mean that both cams slipped exactly the same amount. I don't buy it. this is what my dealer told me and he wants a grand to replace both cams and remove the head to check for damage.

I think the chain slipped and I need to fix it fast

Ride1Rob
06-21-2008, 06:09 AM
Your dealer is a "RIPOFF" along with probably 90% of them across the country if not more. The cam sprocket is pressed on and probably has to be aligned by teeth on both to keep such from happening. Your timing chain or your tensioner is the culprit. The tension needs to be checked on the chain to see if it has any bit of slack in it. This can easily be checked by taking off the head cover. The timing also needs to be checked to make sure it didn't jump timing and if it did how far. If it jumped a bit your valves could have been damaged because of this. I just recently rebuilt a guys topend because his timing chain let go and it bent both of his exhaust valves. How much time do you have on your timing chain?

sjthomps04
06-24-2008, 06:16 AM
so I go back in there to talk to the mechanic and the service guy at the front desk. I told them what I thought... they didn't bite. so I said I would think about it over the weekend, I didn't have me truck anyhow.

yesterday morning I called them up and said that I was going to pick it up and look at the chain and the tensioner myself before I start buying a grand in parts. he said ok, we'll have it ready for you

2 hrs later he calls me up and says that the mechanic thinks that it may have slipped a tooth on the crank... I said thats exactly what I was going to check. 2 hrs later he calls back and tells me its ready... only charges me for 1hr of labor.. $80

going to buy a new tensioner today though...

katch26
06-24-2008, 06:43 AM
my cam and chain went on the pred and did the same thing yours did and jumped a tooth.......i ended up paying over a 1000. I was beside myself because I was quoted around 400 with the parts and labor but they have a nice little disclaimer at the bottom of the page.....f'in jerkoffs

Ride1Rob
06-24-2008, 07:46 AM
Now the ? is, DID THEY REPLACE THE TIMING CHAIN? Probably not! Thing is now if they didn't it's going to jump again and could possibly bend your valves or cause some other type of damage.

If you wouldn't have questioned them on what was going on they would have charged you money for something that didn't need to get done.

katch26
06-24-2008, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by sjthomps04
going to buy a new tensioner today though...
probably not.....def not for 80 bucks the chain is probably 90 plus whatever the tensioner costs, for 80 bucks they probably just timed it for you.

sjthomps04
06-24-2008, 07:55 AM
how bad is it to put a chain on it?

I was hoping to just inspect it... I'm not going to take it back, I'll do it myself

Ride1Rob
06-24-2008, 09:46 AM
A timing chain only costs about $20 but he's correct on what they charged you for. Basically they charged you $80 to take the plastics of, take the cover off, loosen your tensioner and reset your timing. You're probably lucky they didn't charge you more (lol).

The flywheel has to come off to change it as well as your cams. It's not very hard if you know what you're doing, but if you don't it could be quite a hassle and you could damage something in the process. You'll need to get a flywheel puller if you don't have one also.

katch26
06-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
Now the ? is, DID THEY REPLACE THE TIMING CHAIN? Probably not! Thing is now if they didn't it's going to jump again and could possibly bend your valves or cause some other type of damage.

If you wouldn't have questioned them on what was going on they would have charged you money for something that didn't need to get done.
damned polaris I pay 120 for camchain and tensioner