PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Guys What Do You Think

blankenship
06-20-2008, 11:55 PM
Hey guys i am going to do some mods to get more power was already thinkin 460 stroker but want to get some advice from people who already have a fast 400ex keep in mind my bike is almost stock (mods are in sig) i am interested in spending like 2000 or so so just any ideas or setup u already have had or are currently running would be great

TheNewn
06-21-2008, 01:57 AM
Sell the bike, add the money to the 2 grand you have and buy a 450, or a 700 if you can find a good deal.

drew416ex
06-21-2008, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by TheNewn
Sell the bike, add the money to the 2 grand you have and buy a 450, or a 700 if you can find a good deal.

Thats not what he wanted to know. I have a 440 stroker that will beat lightly modded 450's and pretty much keep up with some that are modded pretty heavily. I dont keep up in a drag race on the top end because they have taller gears, but on a track its no problem. You are goint the right way as far as a stroker because if done right they have a lot more power than just a big bore engine. The only down side is they cost more to build. Anyways, I have a hotrods 4mm crank, 87mm powroll piston (made by JE for them), ported, biger valves, fcr carb, stage 3 cam, and sparks x-6 exhaust.

06-21-2008, 09:03 AM
yeah even 440 strokers are beast! my friend had his doing 86MPH and it got there so fast it was crazy! $2000 is more than enough to get a 460 stroker. My friend that had the 440 wants me to let him put the 460 stroker in mine but I know you need head studs and stuff. Are you sure you need all that power?

This is what I would do. Go buy yourself a better exhaust, DG are pretty bad and if I had that much cash to spend I would look no further than Curtis Sparks or HMF full system, then get a new air filter, use a 450r carb because it will help your P&P out and jet it. See how that runs. Still looking for a lot more more then get a 440 stroker or 460 stroker. If you dont need that much more power other than the exhaust, air filter, and 450r carb then throw in a hotcam and maybe a piston. A better exhaust, air filter and carb will really help your P&P and for future mods make you maximize your gains especially when you add a cam into the picture to make the motor breathe even better. If you plan on a 440 stroker or 460 stroker I suggest looking into cooling ideas like the secondary oil cooler or fan on the oil cooler or a CBR oil cooler something that helps out.

TheNewn
06-21-2008, 10:42 AM
When you're dumping that much money into a motor of a 400EX, it is always worth CONSIDERING selling it as is, and buying a 450 (or even the raptor) instead.

In the end you'll have a better handling, faster quad, with a larger after market base.

If you're going stroker/cams/piston and all that stuff, you're throwing the 400EX's rock like reliability to the wind.

The only downside to doing this, is tht the 450's do not have reverse (unless its the kawasaki or KTM). But that only really makes a difference if the 400ex is a 2005 or newer and you USE the reverse.

No i did not answer his question directly, I believe i am doing him a favor telling him to CONSIDER all of his options before spending 2 grand an outdated quad/motor.

I would hate to see him spend all this money on the 400EX and still be unhappy with it, when a 450R with less mods blows him by.

06-21-2008, 10:50 AM
for 2k though i would get nice suspension and a decent motor and i'm happy

blankenship
06-21-2008, 01:07 PM
yea sorry guy i already looked at raptor 700 and yfz 450 and i just like my 400ex really want to be able to say after a good day at the track ha ha ha i beat you to my buddies one on a o8 raptor 700r se and one on a banshee modded to the nines........for all you non believers of a 400ex beatin a raptor its a small track with no long straights and lots of jumps

vAnS_77
06-21-2008, 02:34 PM
I've saw 300ex riders beat 450's, when your on a track that doesn't have 500ft or more of straight aways theres no use in going with anything above 50 mph, more about how your bottom end is. It's more about the rider on a track, if you don't know how to ride and your on an advance track it doesn't matter what machine, just enough to get you over the jumps. Just put a 416, hot cam 2, 450r carb and tooth it down and you will smoke 450's.

vAnS_77
06-21-2008, 02:36 PM
When you're dumping that much money into a motor of a 400EX, it is always worth CONSIDERING selling it as is, and buying a 450 (or even the raptor) instead.

In the end you'll have a better handling, faster quad, with a larger after market base.

If you're going stroker/cams/piston and all that stuff, you're throwing the 400EX's rock like reliability to the wind.

The only downside to doing this, is tht the 450's do not have reverse (unless its the kawasaki or KTM). But that only really makes a difference if the 400ex is a 2005 or newer and you USE the reverse.

No i did not answer his question directly, I believe i am doing him a favor telling him to CONSIDER all of his options before spending 2 grand an outdated quad/motor.

I would hate to see him spend all this money on the 400EX and still be unhappy with it, when a 450R with less mods blows him by. It just depends what his riding condition's are, and his riding skill. If he is set on his 400ex, lets guide him in the right direction. But I do agree with you if you don't have the suspension, don't put any money into the motor at all. Suspension will make you faster than HP.

NickG5755
06-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Id send that 450 susp out to get revalved first.

then id go 460 stroker P&P 450R carb and a hotcam. and like someone else said send that DG to ebay and get yourself a HMF or C. Sparks... any thing is better than a DG IMO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-TRX400EX-400EX-STROKER-CRANKSHAFT-PISTON-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262 QQcategoryZ43977QQihZ023QQitemZ360050923147QQtcZph oto

theres your 460 stroker for about 650 shipped.

you can prob get a 450R carb for aobut 100 bucks. so weve got 1250 left to play with.

hotcam is about 145 shipped
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories__HONDA-TRX-400EX-HOTCAMS-STAGE-1-2-3-CAM-SHAFT-99-07_W0QQitemZ140241833289QQadnZMotorcycleQ20PartsQ2 0Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2863QQcmdZViewItem?hash=it em140241833289&

so now we are down to about 1100 so well say 500 for a good exhaust somwhere and that leaves 600 bucks to get your shocks revalved and all the little stuff i forgot to ad in (valves valve springs HD headstuds) and ya gotta scrape that P&P in that 600 too...and youll prob need a clutch too... bearings for the bottom end... it will be close moneywise but i think you can do it.. you can prob find a better deal somewhere on the parts i listed too... or just downgrade to a 440 stroker

id def get the susp done tho. you cant use the massive power your 460 will be puttin out unless your susp can handle it..

NickG5755
06-21-2008, 02:58 PM
oh yea i also forgot to as in having your cyl re sleeved too :(

its alot more money when ya sit ther and prive everything out.

its probably gunna be more than 2000 grand..

vAnS_77
06-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Honestly, If your looking to make your 400 more fun, get a aftermarket suspension. Everything for comfort and THEN do engine work. Trust me, a 50 inch stance is so NICE.

buster024
06-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Blankenship --

I, as well, recommend suspension upgrades, as well as exhaust upgrades. I love my 400. At the same time, I know unless I dump up a bunch of cash into it, it's never going to be the fastest bike out there. The 400 can be one of the most comfortable, all around reliable bikes out there, although the suspension is truly one of the only bad stock items on it. Now that I have suspension, I realized, I wouldn't trade my Elka's for any engine mod out there. Spend the money, upgrade it, get a nice sound and maybe a small boost with an exhaust, and see how much faster your stock engines moves you around, once the front shocks quit bouncing you around. You could get a pimp front end for $2000 including long travel, wider arms and all the goodies if you did your homework, and bought good used stuff. You'd probably have enough dough to by an exhaust, or maybe a rear shock. '
Someday, I'll probably drop a "big block" in my 400, but the suspension upgrade made such a huge difference, I'm less concerned about the speed.

Good luck!

vAnS_77
06-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Buster you took those words right out of my mind. I bought my +2 laeger quad rate ssd elka's for 1700 with rods and brake lines! I'm pretty sure I'm going to smoke 450's now..Its a huge difference. A rear shock will be the end of days when I get one also, I was looking at a used one, but I'm going to buy new. All you need is a good bottom end quad and suspension and your ready to race!

rideracelivemx7
06-21-2008, 08:43 PM
well to answer your quetion directly, i didnt do a stroker kit but i did a 440 kit with a 11:1 compression and stage 2 hot cams. that was a 340$ kit. and 250$ to haev the clylinder bored and pressed in. so thats about 600 with cam. then i got a motoworks slip on for 289. it sounds mint. then i did a modded airbox. and stage 2 fmf jet kit. 45 pilot?? and a 170 main. i love it. i wasnt completely impressed becuase im used to my snappy go fast ballsy yz250. but the 440ex is a torque moster and then some. i love it. it will rip wheelies in 5th with a small tug and top out pretty quick. but ive raced 3 other stock to mild modded 400ex and they are completely no competion. all the guys i ride with that have the ex love my bike.

blankenship
06-21-2008, 08:53 PM
yea thats what im lookin for im not a pro racer just messing around with my buddies we do have a pro tack we are able to ride but even there we just play around its at a buddies house so.... anyway just want to know if people that put money into there 400...were pleased with the performace anyway im gunna start with just a 460 kit and the cam to go with it mayb a new slip on i already got a aftermarket dg head pipe and i think ill be happy just want more power and bigger wheelies off the line

justin1022
06-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by vAnS_77
It just depends what his riding condition's are, and his riding skill. If he is set on his 400ex, lets guide him in the right direction. But I do agree with you if you don't have the suspension, don't put any money into the motor at all. Suspension will make you faster than HP.

haha i have a 400ex wit hot cams a pipe and a rev box o nit and i own al lthe 450s around hear on trac kits crazy hard but i get it done ha i dont even have 450r shockets yet eathier my frame hits the ground whe ni bottom out so im gona invest in some fast before i take out my frame ha but the real way to beat them on track is to grow a set and go all out ha like make a set of doubles into one double ha but then if u cras hur done last yr i hit a big jump and biffed and broke my tail bone and my hip and twisted my pelvise and my knee was screwed i had to get surgery on it ha but ya if you can ride u can take al lthe 450s just be agreasive and if i was you and u do track mainly i would go for bottom end cuz if u can take the nof the start then ur godo to go after that jsut do alot of shoulder checkin

TheNewn
06-22-2008, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by justin1022
haha i have a 400ex wit hot cams a pipe and a rev box o nit and i own al lthe 450s around hear on trac kits crazy hard but i get it done ha i dont even have 450r shockets yet eathier my frame hits the ground whe ni bottom out so im gona invest in some fast before i take out my frame ha but the real way to beat them on track is to grow a set and go all out ha like make a set of doubles into one double ha but then if u cras hur done last yr i hit a big jump and biffed and broke my tail bone and my hip and twisted my pelvise and my knee was screwed i had to get surgery on it ha but ya if you can ride u can take al lthe 450s just be agreasive and if i was you and u do track mainly i would go for bottom end cuz if u can take the nof the start then ur godo to go after that jsut do alot of shoulder checkin

Your spelling teacher has failed you. Hardcore.

blaaze416
06-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Your spelling teacher has failed you. Hardcore.

Hey now, thats not nise! :devil: !

But serioulsy, listen to FoxHondaRider....He's got the right philosophy.