PDA

View Full Version : Insane Bottom end

vAnS_77
06-20-2008, 05:30 PM
I'm looking to make my 01 400 a beast for the track. I need some seggestions for a temp fix til winter comes along. I was looking at maybe a 13 tooth sprocket, I'm a bigger person so don't worry about me keeping the quad down. Going crazy with the engine will come later this winter when i tear this sucker down with my brother. Also I have 18 inch Quadcross rears so thats not a problem. Getting a rear elka w/ linkage, so there will be no problem with traction, already have laeger/elka LT fronts. Any suggestions would be really helpful. Thanks!!!

krt400ex
06-20-2008, 06:49 PM
without tearing into the engine the only thing i can add to that is maybe a low end cam or a timing key to help the throttle response and midrange a little.

Black R/T
06-20-2008, 06:53 PM
smaller front sprocket, stage 1 cam, and a 450r carb.

RaginRedneck
06-21-2008, 02:23 AM
Dropping a tooth on the front sprocket helped me, I am now able to launch in second and hold 3rd all the way around the track (flat track racing). However, it does considerable shorten up the gears, when I went screwing around on some logging roads I was banging gears like crazy. I guess it kind of depends on what type of racing that you are doing.

lynfrm
06-21-2008, 08:39 AM
hey red neck u have any pics of u bike set up for tt

vAnS_77
06-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Ya, new cam is coming this winter, I'm just looking for a temp fix til then. I really want to just have an insane bottom end, the track that I ride at doesn't have much straights, www.kingsburymx.com just alot of tabletops. Just want that nail right when I land. Thanks for your comments so far.

06-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by RaginRedneck
Dropping a tooth on the front sprocket helped me, I am now able to launch in second and hold 3rd all the way around the track (flat track racing). However, it does considerable shorten up the gears, when I went screwing around on some logging roads I was banging gears like crazy. I guess it kind of depends on what type of racing that you are doing.

do you mean launch in 3rd and hold 4th? Because I launch in 2nd with 15/38 gearing and I can launch in 3rd but it bogs way too much.

kodymx13
06-21-2008, 11:48 AM
o you need the new sparks adjustable canuter valve. thats the secret behind sparks and dasa. its completely adjustable and can be full on bottom end for arm ripping power right off idle. it will kill over rev so be careful. its not like that purple powerband b.s.

06-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by kodymx13
o you need the new sparks adjustable canuter valve. thats the secret behind sparks and dasa. its completely adjustable and can be full on bottom end for arm ripping power right off idle. it will kill over rev so be careful. its not like that purple powerband b.s.

can you pst a link to this or something i'm trying to figure out what you mean, is it a CDI?

RaginRedneck
06-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by lynfrm
hey red neck u have any pics of u bike set up for tt

LOL....uh, no. My buddy works at the track that I race at, so he was able to set up an unlimited Knobby class for a bunch of guys we work with...none of us knew what the hell we were doing, so they threw a bunch of rookies out on the track and let us run into each other!

My first race I took second to my brother, which pisssed me off, so that's when I put on my exhaust, K&N, moose CDI, and dropped a tooth on the front. Next race I won.

Stock I couldn't launch in second, it bogged down bad, and once I got into second it was perfect coming out of the corners, but I hit the rev limiter about 3/4 of the way down the track. Dropping a tooth allowed me to launch 2nd, I shifted into 3rd about halfway through my drift in the first turn and left it in 3rd the entire rest of the race.

ZJTurbo
06-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Sorry for the new guy question but where do you guys get front sprockets that are 1 tooth smaller?

-Ben

awsomeaussies
06-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by RaginRedneck
LOL....uh, no. My buddy works at the track that I race at, so he was able to set up an unlimited Knobby class for a bunch of guys we work with...none of us knew what the hell we were doing, so they threw a bunch of rookies out on the track and let us run into each other!

My first race I took second to my brother, which pisssed me off, so that's when I put on my exhaust, K&N, moose CDI, and dropped a tooth on the front. Next race I won.

Stock I couldn't launch in second, it bogged down bad, and once I got into second it was perfect coming out of the corners, but I hit the rev limiter about 3/4 of the way down the track. Dropping a tooth allowed me to launch 2nd, I shifted into 3rd about halfway through my drift in the first turn and left it in 3rd the entire rest of the race.

Where do you race at? I live not to far from you:) You ever go to Straddleline?

Ruby Soho
06-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by ZJTurbo
Sorry for the new guy question but where do you guys get front sprockets that are 1 tooth smaller?

-Ben

dealer, rockymountainatv, any online atv store

vAnS_77
06-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
dealer, rockymountainatv, any online atv store

Kinda blows that renthal doesn't make 13 tooth, only this OEM standard company, can anyone give me a brand of sprocket that is 13 front and acutlly good? http://www.msdpowersports.com/atv_honda400ex.html is the MSD ignition I just found. This looks pretty good deal, I just wonder where I would mount it? :confused:

ZJTurbo
06-21-2008, 02:53 PM
I just ordered a 13 tooth Renthal from rocky mountain.

-Ben

RaginRedneck
06-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by awsomeaussies
Where do you race at? I live not to far from you:) You ever go to Straddleline?

Haven't been to Straddleline yet, but I'm definetly going.

I raced out at Oakwood, that season is over. They are racing out at Rainier now, and there is some racing at the Puyallup fairgrounds in the fall.

Where do you ride at? I usually go hit up some logging roads and some easy trails out in Wilkeson, but I haven't been out much, I'm new to the quad thing.