PDA

View Full Version : Subs for my truck??

Flyin-Low
06-20-2008, 04:19 PM
I'm looking to put a lil' system in the truck just to give it some more bump. I was in the store a couple days ago and was thinking about two 10'' Rockford and Fosgate P1s and a p200 amp, both subs in separate boxes to fit under the rear seats.

Will this sound pretty good? And where can I hook the amp up to in the truck, 'cause I don't want to change out the stock head unit?

Here she is btw..

rollie
06-20-2008, 04:22 PM
I just put 2 sony xplods in my chevy, two tens will deff fit nerneath the back seats, my boxes where custom made with a rack for the amp in the middle over the tranny hump.

rollie
06-20-2008, 04:25 PM
OH, and i also didnt want to get rid of the stock head unit, everyone said i needed an aftermarket one but you dont...

Got to curcuit city or Tweeter(where i got mine) and Get a 2 channel in line converter, then hook the wires up to therear speakers, ground it and your all set, you wont be able to adjust the subs from up front very much though, and they won't be as loud as they could be, but im happy with min:cool:

Flyin-Low
06-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks man that's just what I was looking for!

Will it be pretty damn loud still with a P200 amp and wired to the rear speakers?

rollie
06-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Flyin-Low
Thanks man that's just what I was looking for!

Will it be pretty damn loud still with a P200 amp and wired to the rear speakers?

Not exactly sure, 2 weeks ago i was just like you, i had NO idea what i was doing hahaha, i have a 1200 watt amp and 2 Xplods, Xplods arent the loudest or best by any means, but it gets the job done just fine, enough so the hair on the back of your neck vibrates! lol

Everyone told me using my stock deck would be a waste too but again its plently loud enough, i would try and get some good 12's and you'll be set, like alpine or JL

TRX_450
06-21-2008, 09:55 AM
im the main tech at the big audio place where i live and i also do some installs on the side. we have people come in all the time who want to keep their stock headunit, but we really push getting a different one simply because its lets confusing and less of a headache for the customer and also if you keep your stock headunit it causes your amp to work harder thru the crossover, if your amp even has one, because if it doesnt it will sound like chit. we have people come in on a daily basis that think theres something wrong with their subs because the pitch is way to high caused by not having a crossover or a subwoofer preout from their headunit.

400exstud
06-21-2008, 11:03 AM
I have one 12" and a 1440 watt amp that is getting signal through the rear speaker wires in my truck. Stock head unit and all. It was much easier than changing out the head unit and sounds perfect. You can still control the sub from the head unit with the bass equilizer but that is pretty tough on the door speakers. My amp has a seperate gain control so that is how I control it.

nickm328
06-21-2008, 11:22 AM
The old punch sounded alot better than the new stuff, I would get some soundstream, or jl audio subs, and an autotek bass thrust amp has all your xover points in the amp so no need for an external xover especially since u want to keep you stock head unit. The problem with running speaker wires to the input on amps is that they are sending way too much signal to the amp and will raise distortion and eventually mess up the amp. Just get a signal converter and u should be fine. If u decide to get a headunit I have an Alpine ere-g180 11 band passive eq i'm trying to get rid of to get some a-arms it will do everything u need it to do along with the built in processor ( mint Cond. about 10hrs. on it.

Flyin-Low
06-21-2008, 11:37 AM
The only reason I don't want to change out the head unit is because it is big.. Theres a lot to the ones on these newer trucks and they have a ton of features, not to mention I think the onstar is wired into the stereo because the phone runs through the speakers when you get a call, and it cuts out the music if you have it on.

Does anyone know anything about Rockford Fosgate amps? Will the P200 be enough and will it have the crossovers I need?

TRX_450
06-21-2008, 11:47 AM
i took my stocker out and out a pioneer in. you have to get a special harness for the on-star/bose if you have it.

nickm328
06-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Don't know much about the new ones when I quit installing it was still the old punch 45's, 150's, 300's etc. Damn now I feel old:D