PDA

View Full Version : I Have an oil Question

Mav_KFX400
06-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Ok so I've been having some problems with the oil in my 4wheeler, it seems to be burning oil. When it gets low i either add oil or change it. Yesterday it was low so i just drained the oil out of the reservoir (i didn't change the filter or drain the oil out of the motor) and added 2 quarts which was the perfect amount. I took it out for about a 1/2 hour ride last night, and when i went to take the dipstick out this morning to check it, oil started coming out of the hole. I've been having this problem for a while now. why is it doing that?
Any help or advice would be great.
Thanks

NRPkfx400
06-20-2008, 04:11 PM
I think you added too much oil. For the ltz isnt the oil in the resivoir and the motor connected. And those two combined take 2 quarts. Im not sure about this so someone correct me if im wrong.

QuadRid3r442
06-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by NRPkfx400
I think you added too much oil. For the ltz isnt the oil in the resivoir and the motor connected. And those two combined take 2 quarts. Im not sure about this so someone correct me if im wrong.

yeah the z has the oil tank sitting right under the radiator. 2 quarts doesnt quite do it i dont think. I put 2 quarts in mine and it still wasnt enough. 1 quart=946ml and then tank says 2000 so ud need 2 quarts and then some. but i dont really no why urs is burning oil im just answering his question.

NRPkfx400
06-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Ya but he only drained the resivoir not the motor too.

QuadRid3r442
06-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by NRPkfx400
Ya but he only drained the resivoir not the motor too.

ahh i didnt see that

airmobile101
06-23-2008, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Mav_KFX400
Ok so I've been having some problems with the oil in my 4wheeler, it seems to be burning oil. When it gets low i either add oil or change it. Yesterday it was low so i just drained the oil out of the reservoir (i didn't change the filter or drain the oil out of the motor) and added 2 quarts which was the perfect amount. I took it out for about a 1/2 hour ride last night, and when i went to take the dipstick out this morning to check it, oil started coming out of the hole. I've been having this problem for a while now. why is it doing that?
Any help or advice would be great.
Thanks
Im not sure on how your checking your oil. I warm up the bike and then shut it off and let it sit for 5min. , then check the stick. If you check the stick when the bike is cold, It will show it being low. Just as the others have mentioned, mine takes just a little bit over 2 quarts.
So, if you did what you said you did(draining the reservoir) while the bike was cold, then yes, its overfilled and that explains the oil coming out. I hope that helps:)

Mav_KFX400
06-23-2008, 04:59 PM
ok i'm going to go drain out some oil right now thanks for your help

mlrsone
06-25-2008, 06:23 AM
the book says idle 3 minutes shut off wait 3 minutes then check it.