PDA

View Full Version : losing coolant

enantrx
06-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Heres my dilemma guys...when i broke in my motor....coolant was fine, never over heated. I did an MX race and i noticed i had no coolant in the ressie so i took the plastics off and noticed my rad. was 1/2 full. So i filled everything up again and did the 2nd moto. I got off the track and once again, i had no coolant in the ressie and a lil less than 1/2 in the rad. Tonight i just pulled the motor out and performed a leakdown test w/both covers on. Everything was fine..no leaks and i even unscrewed the oil cap to make sure my coolant wasnt leaking in my tranny. Then i decided to take off the stator cover and noticed some fluid on the bottom and had a blue tint to it. I usually spray wd40 all over the stator but since i use engine ice for coolant, it kinda made me wonder. I just got doing another leakdown test w/the stator cover off and the pressure is holding fine. With that said, I have absolutely no idea what is going on. Sorry for the long post but i just wanted to get all the details in.

Aceman
06-20-2008, 05:02 PM
I'd pull the drain plug to double check the transmission fluid. Then I'd fill the rad up, leave the plastics off, the stator cover on by a couple bolts and then start it up on blocks. Let it get to operating temp and pull the radiator cap off to check for bubbles. If that much coolant is disappearing that fast, I'm inclined to believe you have a serious leak somewhere. If it was making it into the cylinder, that much coolant, it should be smoking like hell and running like chit.

JohnBeton
06-21-2008, 05:34 AM
if it is the seal on the waterpump your transmission oil should be milky grey.

If it is the headgasket or cilinder you can test if you start your engine and then pull of the radiatorcap. If you open the trotthle a couple of times and there is spitting water out of the cap it's probably your headgasket.

enantrx
06-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by JohnBeton
if it is the seal on the waterpump your transmission oil should be milky grey.

If it is the headgasket or cilinder you can test if you start your engine and then pull of the radiatorcap. If you open the trotthle a couple of times and there is spitting water out of the cap it's probably your headgasket.

Well...i just finished racing again this weekend w/a different motor in it and my quad is still overheating and blowing the coolant out. I also remember at the end of last yrs race season..my quad was doing the same thing w/my stock radiator in. Now i def. know coolant isnt coming out of my weep hole....but im just curious if my oil has no signs of coolant....is there any other way a bad impeller can leak coolant? Thanks for the help guys