PDA

View Full Version : 250r or 400ex??

mike250x
06-19-2008, 09:56 PM
I've been away for the 4 wheeler scene for a while, when I quit ridin last it was the raptor that was the badest thing made lol. I'm wanting to get back to riding but I am torn between a 250r or a 400ex. I know the R is the better bike but it also takes more maintance and not as reliable as a 4 stroke. I had friends that had both and have plenty of ridin time on both and I like different things about both anyone got or had both of them?

06-20-2008, 05:44 AM
A 250R that is properly built and in a good state of tune will take less maintenance than a 400EX, especially when you start modding them. Go with the 250R.

06-20-2008, 06:32 AM
^^^that is almost a true statement...a 400ex takes almost no maintenance until you get in to the 440 size...and 250r parts are getting harder and harder to come by...most of the 250 that you will find for sale will almost be in need of a freshen up right away...

i would love to have a 250r, but the cost(including the ability to find parts) to maintain one would make me go 400ex..oh wait i just did...i traded my 450r for a 400ex

troybilt
06-20-2008, 06:56 AM
IMO a 250R is about as reliable as it gets. Mine's 19 years old and never been touched and runs prefectly.

I've heard 400EX have similar track records too. Either way its a Honda so you can't go wrong there.

06-20-2008, 09:27 AM
True that. Hondas are dead nuts reliable from the factory. I guess I should adjust my statement to say that both are very low maintenance until you modify the engines. Then the 250R becomes easier to own.

atvmxr
06-20-2008, 10:27 AM
when was the raptor ever the baddest quad made??? :blah:

if you want to cruise around get a 400ex, if you want to go fast get the 250r

troybilt
06-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by atvmxr
when was the raptor ever the baddest quad made??? :blah:

I was wondering that too....LOL. As far as I'm concerned, the 250R has been the baddest, most saught after quad, since 1986 and hasn't skipped a beat..:D ...I may be biased though, but hey this is the 250R forum!

As far as aftermarket stuff for the 250R, its not that bad. You can still find lots of companies out there that still make parts for the 250R. Plus, the way ebay is right now, you can find just about everything there too for the 250R. The 250R was the quad to beat for 20+ years so there is LOTS of aftermarket stuff out there. I haven't had a problem finding anything that I wanted except for a QUADTECH hood!!!... :ermm:

My point is, I wouldn't let the aftermarket enter the equation on which quad to go with and they both are exceptionally reliable unless you have one built to the hilt but that is whole nother ballgame and you'd be takening a chance with either machine.

atvmxr
06-20-2008, 01:53 PM
yeah the aftermarket support for the 250R is still strong, especially compared to the other models made during that time, like say a quadzilla for example :D

06-20-2008, 02:04 PM
not so much aftermarket...stock internals

my88r
06-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by atvmxr
yeah the aftermarket support for the 250R is still strong, especially compared to the other models made during that time, like say a quadzilla for example :D

lots of used aftermarket and stock parts. not so much new.

06-20-2008, 03:01 PM
used...yes...i know if i want to replace motor parts...i want new...not used

06-20-2008, 03:02 PM
i went with the 400ex after weighing all the factors betweent he 2. I just didnt want to have to mix gas and stuff. Both handle great, both perform well and are extremely reliable. You cant go wrong with either of them, its just whether you like the torque and powerband of a 4 troke or the powerband of a 2 stroke and whether you want to mix gas or not.

my88r
06-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad

true, for the motor parts. if you want a-arms etc. you can find some nice used ones.

Aceman
06-20-2008, 05:14 PM
The 400ex is a good reliable quad, but so is the 250r. Like somebody else said, I bet the 250r stays a lot more reliable when you start adding the go fast goodies versus the 400ex.

If you like stock bikes that hardly take any maintenance, no mixing gas, etc go with the 400. If you're looking for power, definitely go with the 250.

06-20-2008, 05:18 PM
what will be needing replacement parts on a 20 year old quad? motor parts

Aceman
06-20-2008, 05:50 PM

what will be needing replacement parts on a 20 year old quad? motor parts

What exactly are you getting at speedy?

Do you think he'll have trouble finding new motor parts? If so, that is NOT the case. As far as I know Honda still makes new motor parts for the R. The most commonly replaced items, cranks, bearings, pistons, seals are easily found new.

It's the aftermarket arms, swingers, stems that seem to be getting phased out.

dynofox
06-20-2008, 06:30 PM
I've owned both and currently own 2 250rs, a trx and atc if that tells you anything. :D The 400ex is a great machine but its easy to manage 4-stroke motor is boring to me. I've even spent a lot of time on a new kfx 450 and honestly like the 250r better.

my88r
06-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Aceman

Do you think he'll have trouble finding new motor parts? If so, that is NOT the case. As far as I know Honda still makes new motor parts for the R. The most commonly replaced items, cranks, bearings, pistons, seals are easily found new.

yea, oem motor parts you can get. just no new oems frames,plastic.....etc

baldathoR
06-20-2008, 07:53 PM
I think the real question is:

Do you wanna go fast?

mineralgrey01gt
06-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Aceman

and thats where 400ex a-arms come into play and 450R swingers :D

atvmxr
06-20-2008, 10:08 PM
i just rebuilt by motor and had no trouble getting a crank, clutch plates, springs, basket, trans gears, counter shaft, bearings & seals from servicehonda, so dont understand the comment about being hard to find parts. OEM or aftermarket... :huh

danhung11
06-20-2008, 10:47 PM
get a trx250r in my opinion. I have had both and sold the 4-strokes. I also had a 450r, miss it, but the 2-stroke make you feel like a kid again.

No problems finding parts.

I spent a few hours on the project until the neighbor came over with some beers. :(

wilkin250r
06-21-2008, 03:22 AM
I own both.

I've actually been spending quite a bit of time on the 400EX, just because it's more friendly in the terrain I'm riding in. Mountain trails with a few tight sections, quite a few rocks. All places I could easily take my R (I know because I have), but the 400 is so much more comfortable. I'm rarely ever full throttle.

To me, I say it's your terrain. If you're in tighter sections, the 250r will wear you down. But if you're in wide open desert, or better yet in sand, the 250r will easily outshine the 400.

Terrain. That's your key.

06-21-2008, 05:28 AM
you may not have trouble finding parts right now, but how long do you think that well will hold out? do you think honda still mass produces parts for a machine that has not been in production for nearly 20 years? don't get me wrong, the 250r would be my choice of bikes if I knew there would still be parts available for it in 5, 10, 15 years. but who knows how long after honda quit producing the bike that they also quit producing the parts. do they still do small runs of the parts since there can't be as big of a demand? how deep was that well of parts and how much has been taking out without any making its way back in?

dynofox
06-21-2008, 06:24 AM
you may not have trouble finding parts right now, but how long do you think that well will hold out? do you think honda still mass produces parts for a machine that has not been in production for nearly 20 years? don't get me wrong, the 250r would be my choice of bikes if I knew there would still be parts available for it in 5, 10, 15 years. but who knows how long after honda quit producing the bike that they also quit producing the parts. do they still do small runs of the parts since there can't be as big of a demand? how deep was that well of parts and how much has been taking out without any making its way back in?

I would hope that since the parts sell that Honda would keep having them produced.

06-21-2008, 08:32 AM
it takes time, supplies, and money to convert a line over to produce a different part. at some point the profitability will have to be less than the cost. my guess would be that it has already reached that point

Aceman
06-21-2008, 04:13 PM
don't get me wrong, the 250r would be my choice of bikes if I knew there would still be parts available for it in 5, 10, 15 years.

So his decision to buy a 250r right now should be based on your speculation that there may not be parts for it in 5,10,15 years? Nahh.....

Flyin_250r
06-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Im gonna have to agree with Aceman. If your thinking 5-10-15 years down the road and are planning on having the quad that long anyways, why not just buy up a few of the parts you feel are going to be impossible to find that far down the road now? I think most of the die hard 250r fans have an engine or even a few as spares just for that reason.

I dont think you can go wrong with either of the choices, 400ex or 250r. It all comes down to what you feel fits you personally and your riding type/style. I think you have more options when it comes to the 250r, you can build some sick engines for an R and still have insane reliability.... but thats my opinion. In the end, its your choice....

atvmxr
06-21-2008, 06:40 PM
ahhh the sky is falling, the sky is falling, no more honda OEM parts!! LOL!! :rolleyes:

BigBore24
06-21-2008, 07:28 PM
i just sold my ex. even without heavy mods a 4 stroke valvetrain will still wear out. if u get an ex, dont make the mistake imade and get one thats 8 years old. even 4 trails the r is a blast

mike250x
06-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks guys as you can tell my old ride was a 250x 4 stroker, Great bike but I got to good for it I guess cause I put 3 engines in it lol. Probably didnt help the every one I rode with was on a 400 or raptor or a R. And I didnt mean the raptor was the badest thing out literally it was just the one getting all the hipe in mags. Think I'm goin to go for the R and if I dont like it Im sure I can find someone to trade a 400 for it. I just love the sound and the powerband and the feel smoother over whoops to me.

wilkin250r
06-22-2008, 03:52 AM
I'm not sure about Honda OEM, they don't like to support their 2-strokes much. But the 250r has a loyal following, like old muscle cars. I bet the aftermarket side will keep the 250r parts going longer than the 400EX.