PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Snapped valve cover screw and broken spark plug cap?

400exrapes
06-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Alright well i created another problem while trying to solve the first problem.
Problem 1:Two little peices inside my spark plug cap fell apart I guess, and therefore the quad wouldnt start from me looking at the problem once before. One peice looked like a reallllllly tiny battery, and the other was a screw and they were stuck around my spark plug and I couldnt get them off. I know I'll be able to get them out, but what are these two little parts? and do I need to buy a new ignition coil/spark plug cap?

Problem 2: I figured that somehow i would be able to get out that little cylinder surrounding the sparkplug, so I took off my three valve cover bolts, but found out that by doing that it changed nothing, while i was trying to retighten the valve cover, one screw(front left) snapped in place and I need to drill and tap this peice I'm assuming? Heres a picture below.

I'll take any help I can get!

NickG5755
06-19-2008, 05:07 PM
mayb get a stick welder and get the sick stuck to the bolt and ease it out with ALOT of pb blaster?

hondarider101
06-19-2008, 05:12 PM
im guessing u overtightened the botl. you will need to drill it out a lil bigger than the original hole and make it about a size bigger..

pro-rider46
06-19-2008, 05:19 PM
these bolts are called torque to yield bolts. you only tighten them to 7 ft lbs. the same thing happened to me, you can get a extracter kit and drill it, and use the extractors to pull it out. and then get a new bolt, dont screw up the threads when drilling and extracting.

400exrapes
06-19-2008, 05:50 PM
thanks pro-rider so where can i find this extracter kit and can i replace it with like the OEM bolt or do I need another size? And does anyone know what the deal with the ignition coil/spark plug cap is?

pro-rider46
06-19-2008, 06:57 PM
well, you can get a extractor at like sears or walmart, its just a damaged bolt extractor, should be pretty easy to find. as for the bolt if you dont screw up the threads just replace it with a oem bolt a little over 2 dollars the last time i checked. and remember the are only to be torqued to 7 ft. lbs. if you have the cash to spare i would just get a new wire, and boot. and while your in there you might as well get a monster coil off ebay. but the boot, wire and coil are in three seperate peices. so you only have to get a boot and maybe the wire. if you need anything else let me know.

400exrapes
06-19-2008, 07:17 PM
yeah thanks, i noticed i was missing the bushing too the rubber one, so i'm going to order one of those too. Also if I get this monster coil, will it come with everything that I need to replace in the spark plug cap? cause i found the spark plug cap that i need and its 30.00 so if i can get a deal on a whole coil for close to cheaper I might just do that.

pro-rider46
06-20-2008, 08:39 AM
i dont believe the coil will come with the wire and boot. so if you want to might as well just keep the old coil and just replace the parts you need. but its up to you.

pro-rider46
06-20-2008, 08:41 AM
actually it looks like you might only need the boot. email the guy and see what all comes with it.

400exrapes
06-20-2008, 12:21 PM
I actually bought the parts last night, a new screw and bushing, and spark plug cap. the cap was 34.00 which was a pain but the bolt and bushing were like 5 bucks which is fine. My friends dad owns a mechanic shop/ junk yard and he's going to pull the screw out for me so i should be good maybe next monday? Thanks pro-rider i read some of your threads and i can only imagine how you feel.

pro-rider46
06-20-2008, 02:32 PM
no problem, yeah my quads are down for a while, the ones bottom end exploded, the other top end is seized, and the worst part is my friends tease me telling me how to ride, lol. but hey i should be getting a crf here soon!

400exrapes
06-20-2008, 05:29 PM
haha yeah i just snapped another screw too, using the torque wrench lol, dont listen to your friends they can worry about themselves.

pro-rider46
06-20-2008, 09:48 PM
holy cow, sounds like your having a not so good week. lol but hey could be worse.

400exrapes
06-20-2008, 10:13 PM
haha yeah i'm alright i used to get really frusturated over things, but now i just realize that basically anything that goes wrong with my quad, I can fix with help or reading. and basically i normally enjoy working on it so if i dont get frusturated i'm normally okay. My friends dad will pull the screws out and i've got one screw on its way in, i fixed the spark problem, and i've got a screw to replace the other one.