PDA

View Full Version : My Custom A-Arm Idea...

Hondamaster5505
06-19-2008, 08:13 AM
Well, for a while now, I've been wanting to widen the front end on my 400ex. My only problem, is I didn't want to dish out a lot of money for aftermarket. Then my only other choices are the widening kit or wheel spacers... which I refuse to use.

Well, looking at the predator in my dads shop he was fixing, I had an idea. I love the a-arms on the front of the predator, very long and neat looking.

So, I thought about it. With a machine shop we own, we can literally modify and build stuff all we want.

So I decided, I want to adapt the polaris predator a-arms to the 400ex. It would make it wider, and by the looks of it would require long travel shocks. Which I can bypass for the time being.

We have everything we need to make custom brackets using the existing ones already on the 400ex.

While we were at it, We though about even adapting the polaris pro-steering system to the 400, to virtually eliminate all bump steer.

What do you guys think of this project, and what obsticles to you think will get in my way trying to do this?

katch26
06-19-2008, 08:35 AM
sounds like a good idea....Ive always wanted to do the opposite and add 450r aarms to my pred.....for adjustability/ options. I dont know what the 400ex take but the pred will either take an 18" eye to eye shock (with rezzie) and its like 18.25 without. I have yfz lt 18.5 on mine stock arms and it works pretty good.

Hondamaster5505
06-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by katch26
sounds like a good idea....Ive always wanted to do the opposite and add 450r aarms to my pred.....for adjustability/ options. I dont know what the 400ex take but the pred will either take an 18" eye to eye shock (with rezzie) and its like 18.25 without. I have yfz lt 18.5 on mine stock arms and it works pretty good.

The stock ex shock i believe is 16.5:(

I guess i can either use the pred shocks or lower the top shock mount.

Also, how do you like your pred? I might have a chance at trading for an 06 pred TLD edition. It has a cracked frame, but we can easily weld it up. I know I rode either an 03 or 04 regualer pred and wasnt too impressed with some things.

katch26
06-19-2008, 09:19 AM
05-06 are much better than the 03-04 for the most part....the 04's were pretty good but the '03 had some reliability issues. I really like mine, the only gremlin Ive had to chase was the oneway bearing. Ive had no issues under normal circumstances but when I was teaching my brother how to ride he smoked it out with a quickness. Overall I think its a great bike despite Polaris's bad reputation

400exrider707
06-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Other than the fabrication itself, I think the toughest obstacle to overcome would be getting the suspension dialed in for this setup. I'm not too sure how the a-arms would adapt to the 400ex frame. I think with a ton of measurements and a good shock builder, you can have something custom built for your setup, but from the sounds of it you dont want to invest a lot of money (thus making your own arms.) I think it sounds fun and intriguing. Please post progress and results as you go along with this. Go for it!

I also hope you have a good understanding of suspension desgin...

I would start with one simple measurement. See where the a-arm pivots on the 400ex frame? Measure from there, to the other side where the arm pivots on that side. You need to measure the imaginary center line of where it bolts to the frame to be exact. Then compare this measurement with the same measurement on the predator. The linkage steering setup on the predator might not even eliminate any bumpsteer on the 400ex, depending on the width of the frame.

06-19-2008, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Other than the fabrication itself, I think the toughest obstacle to overcome would be getting the suspension dialed in for this setup. I'm not too sure how the a-arms would adapt to the 400ex frame. I think with a ton of measurements and a good shock builder, you can have something custom built for your setup, but from the sounds of it you dont want to invest a lot of money (thus making your own arms.) I think it sounds fun and intriguing. Please post progress and results as you go along with this. Go for it!

I also hope you have a good understanding of suspension desgin...

I would start with one simple measurement. See where the a-arm pivots on the 400ex frame? Measure from there, to the other side where the arm pivots on that side. You need to measure the imaginary center line of where it bolts to the frame to be exact. Then compare this measurement with the same measurement on the predator. The linkage steering setup on the predator might not even eliminate any bumpsteer on the 400ex, depending on the width of the frame.

i was just going to say basically the same thing on how you would get a shock builder to do all of this and make it right, finding the correct length shock and all. You would be better off taking the stock a-arms, cutting them after the shock bracket platform, and extending them from there with tubing and some gussets because then its the same shock setup just different length a-arms so it would be easier.

AnDy7
06-19-2008, 01:55 PM
i went to school with a kid that had a Predator and it had to be the biggest piece of *****. it blew up on him twice and polaris was the once who rebuilt it for him, but im not sure what year it was like he said there was some issues with certain years.

Hondamaster5505
06-19-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by AnDy7
i went to school with a kid that had a Predator and it had to be the biggest piece of *****. it blew up on him twice and polaris was the once who rebuilt it for him, but im not sure what year it was like he said there was some issues with certain years.

It was probably an 03, they were horrible. They got really good in 05 and up. 04 was okay.

They're actually pretty solid bikes if you maintain them. I would just never own an 03. too many problems.

AnDy7
06-19-2008, 02:00 PM
yeah, and the kid i dont think really was to good to it.. but your idea seems cool and hopefully it works out for yeah. good luck

250x_kyle
06-19-2008, 02:28 PM
if u own a machine shop then why not start from scratch. moddifying predator arms will make them weaker none the less. so why not just take the tools u have and custom make a set similar bend to stock just makem two inches longer

Hondamaster5505
06-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
if u own a machine shop then why not start from scratch. moddifying predator arms will make them weaker none the less. so why not just take the tools u have and custom make a set similar bend to stock just makem two inches longer

I wasn't actually going to modify the a-arms, I was gonna modify the mounts on the frame.

I could build my own from scratch, but thats a lot of work. Ill have to think about it.

06-19-2008, 03:41 PM
You my friend are one of the stupidest beat offs I have ever come into contact with on an online source.

Ruby Soho
06-19-2008, 03:50 PM
i think since the predator arms have no common geometry with the 400ex, your almost better off starting from scratch, its not as hard as it sounds. that way you dont need to modify the frame etc..

Hondamaster5505
06-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by RoadRidin450r
You my friend are one of the stupidest beat offs I have ever come into contact with on an online source.

And you, my friend, are one of the biggest jackass's I have ever come into contact with on an online source.

Go lie down in your race car bed and watch Dora, and leave all the normal people alone.

Friggin idiot

Hondamaster5505
06-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
i think since the predator arms have no common geometry with the 400ex, your almost better off starting from scratch, its not as hard as it sounds. that way you dont need to modify the frame etc..

true.

Ill have to take a look at everything. Im just trying to figure a low-cost way to have a more stable quad, better turning quad while not adding the bump steer or stress that spacers or those widening kits add.

Ruby Soho
06-19-2008, 04:05 PM
or, you could keep a sharp eye on ebay and snag a used pair of +2's for cheap

Hondamaster5505
06-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
or, you could keep a sharp eye on ebay and snag a used pair of +2's for cheap

Im always looking, but don't have that much. All the money I have or am getting is going towards my banshee, that's why I'm on a limited budget.

The banshee's gonna be my main bike from now on, so I want to trick that out. The 400ex is gonna be my local trail bike/ backup bike. So I want to find a cheap way to make it better.

NickG5755
06-19-2008, 04:44 PM
using pred A-Arms is just retarded and in the time its gunna take to fab them to fit.. you caould have found a part tme job worked and had enough money to buy a cheap set of extended arms..

you say its gunna be a trail bike? then why the hell do ya need "less bump steer" or wider arms? backub bikes are supposed to be reliable and by using "redneck engineering" its def not gunna be reliable. and i dont understand how a steering stem is gunna reduce bump steer. what makes the predators have less bump steer its the way the a arms are mounted.. think about it a steering stem has as much to do with bump steer as your handlebars do..all they do is provide the feedback. bum steer comes from your susp being able to soak up a bump rather than the tire jsut turning and taking the easy way out of it. the easy way out is bump steer. a good susp will take the hit before sending the tire off to a differnt direction.

peace

NickG5755
06-19-2008, 04:46 PM
direct polaris quote...

The Polaris Rider Optimized (PRO) steering system is truly unique to the stock sport quad industry. By offering precise pivot points for the A-arms, the computer-designed PRO steering system claims to virtually eliminate bump steer.

like i said.. nothing to do with the steering stem.. its has to do with where the pivot points of the aarms.. so unless your cutting the front of the frame off that polaris and putting it on the 400.. good luck..

if i remember correctly the pivot points for both the right and the left side of the quad are veryy close together... kinda like the KFX 450..

katch26
06-19-2008, 05:28 PM
pro steering

born2ride14
06-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Cut you 400ex a arms and extend them.

NickG5755
06-19-2008, 05:37 PM
WTF is that thing? lol and how does it work?

if it did work as clamied.. dont you think more companies would have aftermarket ones for other quads?

Hondamaster5505
06-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by NickG5755
direct polaris quote...

The Polaris Rider Optimized (PRO) steering system is truly unique to the stock sport quad industry. By offering precise pivot points for the A-arms, the computer-designed PRO steering system claims to virtually eliminate bump steer.

like i said.. nothing to do with the steering stem.. its has to do with where the pivot points of the aarms.. so unless your cutting the front of the frame off that polaris and putting it on the 400.. good luck..

if i remember correctly the pivot points for both the right and the left side of the quad are veryy close together... kinda like the KFX 450..

Im not really doing it for no bump steer. I probably wasn't even going to use the PRO steering.

It was mainly just for a-arms. For the extra width. It's a backup trailbike, but I would like it a little wider.

Hondamaster5505
06-19-2008, 05:54 PM
WTF is that thing? lol and how does it work?

if it did work as clamied.. dont you think more companies would have aftermarket ones for other quads?

The whole PRO steering actually does work.

The pred I rode, I felt no bump steer. I was hitting stuff and it wasn't ripping the bars out of my hands or anything, and it felt like it would be great for going fast.

Just annoying to maintain.

katch26
06-19-2008, 06:07 PM
bingo lol and expensive. Its got so many wear items (bushing etc) it probably fairly expensive to produce....definately to maintain.

NickG5755
06-19-2008, 06:45 PM
the time/energy/shoptime ($$) it would take to this just doesnt make it worth it.. and even if you did it id bet it rides liek complete ****. if it were so easy to make an aarm more people would do it..

the R&D that companys put into suspensions is insane. .. i think your better off saving your time and energy for your banshee

06-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
Friggin idiot

gosh...

rcatvrider
06-19-2008, 07:21 PM
I think you're better off getting a steering stabilizer rather than the predator steering because with the predator I rode the steering seemed like it had alot of resistance so you couldn't steer fast.

Hondamaster5505
06-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
gosh...

LMAO

"Tina, come get your dinner! Gosh."

Hondamaster5505
06-19-2008, 07:31 PM
the time/energy/shoptime ($$) it would take to this just doesnt make it worth it.. and even if you did it id bet it rides liek complete ****. if it were so easy to make an aarm more people would do it..

the R&D that companys put into suspensions is insane. .. i think your better off saving your time and energy for your banshee

I thought, my dad hasn't been bust lately, so it gives us a lot of time to mess around. Even if we make our own, it'd be fun. If it ends up handling like crap, ill just bolt the stockers on. No mharm done.

I actually thought about lightening my flywheel, since he has a lave, but its a trail bike so I decided not too.

We also are gonna build a buggy chassis utilizing atv a-arms and such, because we have a streetbike motor lying around.

So many projects, lol.

If not a-arms, what do you guys think would be a fun thing to fab up for it? I was thinking a steering stem, because I want it taller to utilize the bars i have on it.

250x_kyle
06-19-2008, 08:17 PM
by any chance is ur dad looking for anotehr son lol. id say go for it use ur stockers for the basic geometry design. and dont worry about roadriding450r for calling u a retard look at his name.

06-19-2008, 08:42 PM
And you, my friend, are one of the biggest jackass's I have ever come into contact with on an online source.

Go lie down in your race car bed and watch Dora, and leave all the normal people alone.

Friggin idiot

At least I can fit in a race car bed. Your lucky that banshee of your dads will pull your ***.

tri5ron
06-19-2008, 10:19 PM
At least I can fit in a race car bed. Your lucky that banshee of your dads will pull your ***.

roadridin450r,
Do you EVER have anything to say, that is NOT a derogatory comment?

I've said this to you before, and thought that maybe you should hear it again.

...and some will simply never grow up.

trolls are little troublemakers that live under the shelter that someone else has built and must maintain. They steal your food, and bite at your ankles, generally making a pest of themselfs.

They make nasty gestures, and smart@$$ little remarks. They like to snarl, show their teeth, and make alot noise. they often make no sense at all, and when challenged, they go running back to their hole, where they are living off the graces of someone else's labor and tolerence.

The best way to make them go away, is to simply ignore them, so that they can no longer entertain their own petty lives.

my88r
06-19-2008, 10:37 PM

what are you 5?:rolleyes:

Hondamaster5505
06-20-2008, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
by any chance is ur dad looking for anotehr son lol. id say go for it use ur stockers for the basic geometry design. and dont worry about roadriding450r for calling u a retard look at his name.

lol. thanks. hes just an idiot. theres a couple ive encountered on here. I mean, sometimes I can be pretty arrogant myself, but people like roadridin I just done understand. Its like they make an account just to go around and insult people.

Ruby Soho
06-20-2008, 06:25 AM
im doing the flywheel on my 110, and it makes such a difference i was thinking about it on my EX. but im selling it so i don't wanna chance any problems:p

06-20-2008, 06:56 AM
lol. thanks. hes just an idiot. theres a couple ive encountered on here. I mean, sometimes I can be pretty arrogant myself, but people like roadridin I just done understand. Its like they make an account just to go around and insult people.

Nah just your little pudgy ***. Also please inform me on a problem with my name? I have the outcome of finding zero problems with it.

Hondamaster5505
06-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Nah just your little pudgy ***. Also please inform me on a problem with my name? I have the outcome of finding zero problems with it.

LOL. How can you even make comments about weight or size if you never even saw me, met me, or know me? Answer that question smart one.

"RoadRiding450r" Hmm, well, first of all, ATV's weren't designed to be ridin on the street, and that kinda $hit is what gives our sport a bad name. They were designed for dirt, but yet again, I guess some people aren't experienced enough to know how to ride on dirt.

Should change it to "GayRiding450r" Would match you better, in my honest opinion.

And now, I will take tri5ron's advice, and end this. That's the only way to stop a troll like you.

06-20-2008, 07:58 PM
LOL. How can you even make comments about weight or size if you never even saw me, met me, or know me? Answer that question smart one.

"RoadRiding450r" Hmm, well, first of all, ATV's weren't designed to be ridin on the street, and that kinda $hit is what gives our sport a bad name. They were designed for dirt, but yet again, I guess some people aren't experienced enough to know how to ride on dirt.

Should change it to "GayRiding450r" Would match you better, in my honest opinion.

And now, I will take tri5ron's advice, and end this. That's the only way to stop a troll like you.

rofl hilarious! gayriding450r

brokenmike
06-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Having no bump steer dosent mean you can hit objects with your front tires and not have the handle bars rip out of your hands. It is all about how the steering geometry changes when your suspension compresses or when you hit a bump. I also have a 8oz lightened flywheel on my 400ex and I like it. You might not feel it on a stock bike

Hondamaster5505
06-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by brokenmike
Having no bump steer dosent mean you can hit objects with your front tires and not have the handle bars rip out of your hands. It is all about how the steering geometry changes when your suspension compresses or when you hit a bump. I also have a 8oz lightened flywheel on my 400ex and I like it. You might not feel it on a stock bike

Well, i exagerated before when I said that, but it does make the steering nice and going faster easier.

hondarider101
06-20-2008, 08:55 PM

i can answer not trying to start anything but u did post pics of u in the banshee thing that said im sorry for looking like crap but its been a bad day.......

06-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Haha yea also the pic of your pudgy *** on that motorcycle in the one thread. To tell you the truth I don't give a rats *** about what kind of name I give this sport I ride on the roads with my friends most of the time to get to the mountains because its easier then using a trailer and i thought it would be a different name. I don't have to worry about places closing down because they won't here unlike you in your little fat *** community in ashland PA. Have fun on the little pansy hill climbs.

06-20-2008, 10:48 PM
whoa roadridin450r calm down here. if you have bipolar take the pills if it something bothering you seek help. No need to start a war and use all this language on forums.

blankenship
06-20-2008, 11:35 PM
hey hondamaster5505 i have read most of the post on this thread and thin it would be sick if u could fab a swing arm outta like 3/4 inch tube but not round tube square tubing like the old 250 quad racer frames

wilkin250r
06-21-2008, 01:23 AM
That'll solve that problem.

Hondamaster5505
06-21-2008, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
whoa roadridin450r calm down here. if you have bipolar take the pills if it something bothering you seek help. No need to start a war and use all this language on forums.

lol. I'm surprised this kid wasn't banned off this site yet. He must have the dirtiest mouth out of everyone on this entire site.

Oh, and one last thing, these are NOT pansy hillclimbs:D

Hondamaster5505
06-21-2008, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by blankenship
hey hondamaster5505 i have read most of the post on this thread and thin it would be sick if u could fab a swing arm outta like 3/4 inch tube but not round tube square tubing like the old 250 quad racer frames

You know, I never thought of that. I actually always liked the look of square a-arms.

I'm gonna have to take that into consideration. Whatever will be the cheapest but strongest.

buster024
06-21-2008, 05:10 PM
The worst thread ever......

NickG5755
06-21-2008, 06:38 PM
yea this thread is dumb.. does your banshee even run yet?

and he said square swingarm not aarm...

this thread is bunch of dreaming thats never gunna happen...

and road ridin. those hillcimbs are def not pansy ***...

the pics that hondamaster is showing you def dont do it justice..

Hondamaster5505
06-21-2008, 07:25 PM
yea this thread is dumb.. does your banshee even run yet?

and he said square swingarm not aarm...

this thread is bunch of dreaming thats never gunna happen...

and road ridin. those hillcimbs are def not pansy ***...

the pics that hondamaster is showing you def dont do it justice..

Sadly it doesnt...:( Everything's about money. I wanted to buy a project and I have one. We are going to rebuild my crank SOON, and then all thats left is the top end and tuning the carbs.

Ooops, my bad, thought he said a-arms...

And this is not dreaming, we have the fab skills and I'm seriously considering it. My dad's been slow lately so he has a lot of free time. All my money is rebuilding the shee, so if I do anything to the 400ex its gonna be custom.

hondarider101
06-21-2008, 07:40 PM
goash isnt this thread exciting.

my88r
06-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
That'll solve that problem.

thanks will. i was the one that reported him guys. no need for that kind of immaturity.:scary:

NickG5755
06-21-2008, 08:27 PM
man susp is one of the toughest things on your quad... the a arms have to be solid.

if you extend the a arms you gotts do the brake lines. Tie rods too. plus if you try to make pred a arms work i doubt your smindles will work and your brakes n stuff..

i say you build a custom exhaust can.... leave the stock susp alone until your banshee is reliable. then MAYB work on becoming the next big Aarm company lol.

Hondamaster5505
06-21-2008, 08:35 PM
man susp is one of the toughest things on your quad... the a arms have to be solid.

if you extend the a arms you gotts do the brake lines. Tie rods too. plus if you try to make pred a arms work i doubt your smindles will work and your brakes n stuff..

i say you build a custom exhaust can.... leave the stock susp alone until your banshee is reliable. then MAYB work on becoming the next big Aarm company lol.

Why would I build an exhaust can? lmao. I love my DMC.

I guess it would be fun though. I've always wanted dual exhaust, one muffler on each side.

*sniff* I smell an idea coming on:devil: Exhaust's are very tempermental though, lol.

Im buying the stuff I need for my crank in the next couple days, then I have some money left over I can probably do the top end. Then I can get her runnin:D

blankenship
06-21-2008, 09:39 PM
hey honda about dual exhaust i think dmc makes one for the ex u could take a look at it and get some good idea's mayb just make a header and buy 2 slip ons and u would have say a dual hmf or what ever you choose to buy

tri5ron
06-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by my88r
thanks will. i was the one that reported him guys. no need for that kind of immaturity.:scary:

Hi my88r,
I also reported him.
I've pretty much had enough of his mouth. He jumps around all over the various forums here, and just seems to try and stir the pot up with everything he posts.

Thanks Moderator, good riddance.

Hondamaster5505
06-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by tri5ron
Hi my88r,
I also reported him.
I've pretty much had enough of his mouth. He jumps around all over the various forums here, and just seems to try and stir the pot up with everything he posts.

Thanks Moderator, good riddance.

x2.

Ive seen him in a couple threads stirring things up.

Hondamaster5505
06-22-2008, 10:36 AM
hey honda about dual exhaust i think dmc makes one for the ex u could take a look at it and get some good idea's mayb just make a header and buy 2 slip ons and u would have say a dual hmf or what ever you choose to buy

I have the DMC...:D

blankenship
06-22-2008, 10:36 PM
a buddie i met through my ex had one if those exact pi[es said it was amazing bottom end

Hondamaster5505
06-23-2008, 07:36 AM
a buddie i met through my ex had one if those exact pi[es said it was amazing bottom end

It's the complete opposite. It has a REAL strong mid-range pull with a pretty good pull on top. But, it never lost any bottom end.