PDA

View Full Version : 400ex swingarm pivot bolt help

dezertboyjd
06-18-2008, 06:54 PM
hey everyone..i still need more help on removing the rest of the pivot bolt from my 400ex. i cut the swingarm off and finally got the motor out of the frame. all that is left now is the bolt and spacers that go between the motor and swingarm. look at the pic and tell me what else i can do to get this out before i pay a machine shop to do it.

im thinking i should try and cut the spacers off..but i dont know what to do if its siezed in the motor itself.

all help is appreciated!

Ruby Soho
06-18-2008, 07:10 PM
the spacers only go up the engine. what i did was cut it flush with the engine, and drill it out.

dezertboyjd
06-18-2008, 07:24 PM
yea i know they do.

what size bit did you use? how hard was it?

250x_kyle
06-18-2008, 07:30 PM
if u have a set of cutting torches heat the collors up cherry red and get a punch on the bolt and tap it out.

ridinga400ex
06-19-2008, 06:27 AM
dont want to steal this thread but this is similiar.I lost the nut that goes on the swing arm bolt.I was out riding and a freind noticed it was gone.Anyone have any clue on what size nut it is so I can get one from the hardware store?

Ruby Soho
06-19-2008, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
if u have a set of cutting torches heat the collors up cherry red and get a punch on the bolt and tap it out.

i wouldnt do this. the heat will get to the cases and possibly warp them. i would not chance this.

as for the drilling, it wasn't easy but it took me and my old man to do it. i forgot the size of the bit but ill find out from him. i do remember it was the perfect size because it drilled away almost the entire bolt, except a very thin part that we could peel away. so it worked perfect

Honda#4
06-19-2008, 07:23 AM
Be aware the bushing in the motor its not replaceable.

bry14661
06-19-2008, 08:38 AM
i have a custom fix for this to prevent this from happening. ill make a new thread so it gets attention

dezertboyjd
06-19-2008, 12:59 PM
yeah i wasnt planning on torching it.

yeah if yhou can find out what size bit that was that would be awesome.

im almost to the point of buying another lower end if i cant seem to get this out

tim colston
06-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by ridinga400ex
dont want to steal this thread

then make your own

I also agree with ruby soho. don't heat the cases.

250x_kyle
06-19-2008, 02:32 PM
i agree dont heat the case. . if u just heat the callors up the bolt will just tap out if u know how to run a torch the case will be cool to the touch right after u do it.. ive done this twice and never had a problem with my cases.

miller440
06-23-2008, 06:59 PM
i had the same problem on mine. i ended up using my torch with a #1 brazing tip to heat up the collars to about 800 degrees. one solid hit with a punch and the bolt came right out along with the right side collar. to install the collar back in the case i let the collar air cool then warmed up the case and used a 3/4 socket to drive it back in. no problems 5 months later.

alex10
06-24-2008, 09:49 PM
You can get the nut from your dealer for a couple bucks. I usually can't find those nuts at the hardware store.

dezertboyjd
06-25-2008, 12:37 AM
if anyone knows id like to know what size drill bite it will take to drill that bolt out throught the cases. im thinking this is going to be the easiest way to get it out if i cut the bolt down to the case

dezertboyjd
08-02-2008, 08:48 PM
ok so after numerous attempts and countless hours..i finally got that flippin pivot bolt out today. It took a whole can of pb blaster and a propane torch, and alot of pounding and some more cutting. how ever i did push the right coller out with the bolt since they are siezed together.

decided to fill up a coke can with pb blaster and let the bolt and spacer soak for a few days then ill put it in a vice and pound away. time to move on with this project